Power Metal and Thrash Metal

zezima940

New Metal Member
Dec 21, 2010
Why does almost every power metal and thrash metal band sound the same?

For power metal only Blind Guardian, Edguy, Hammerfall, Edguy, Avantasia, Sabaton, Sonata Arctica, Iced Earth and Statovarius stand out. All new or undergound bands sound like one of these.

For thrash metal only "The Big Four" (Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer) and Kreator and Exodus stand out, and all new bands sound like them!

Seriously, why? WHY? The music of new bands are good, but nothing special and it's boring in the long run! Anyone have some thoughts about this and possibly share my opinion?

You're in the wrong time period for power metal. the 80s and early 90s are where the quality is:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcrNexyvaM&feature=related[/ame]

And, that being done, I'm not overly interested in thrash and this thread is ass anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sabaton stands out? olololo.

EDIT: For thrash, check out Anacrusis, Believer, and Watchtower, in addition to most mentioned in the two posts below.

...And Voivod, Nasty Savage, Ulysses Siren, Holy Terror, Mordred, Depressive Age, Blind Illusion, Toxik, Realm, Flotsam and Jetsam, Fatal Violence, Coven etc. etc.

For thrash metal only "The Big Four" (Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer) and Kreator and Exodus stand out, and all new bands sound like them!
This statement is full of the lulz

If you're going to make comparisons, make good ones. Say something like Coroner and Sarcofago stood apart. Don't say Exodus and Metallica. Because of all the bands you mentioned, those two actually did sound alike.

But am I really supposed to sit here and say that Voivod, Whiplash, Hirax, Sodom, Dark Angel and Forbidden sound the same? Because they don't. Not even close.

How can anyone talk about powermetal without mentioning Helloween and Firewind?

The only 'thrash' band that still sounds fresh to me is Machinehead.

At the end of the day, you're talking about genre bands sounding the same as the originators. How about, instead of looking for more powermetal or thrash bands that somehow sound different to other powermetal or thrash bands, look into different genres or cross over genres.

I'll do the leg work for you on this one. A band that encompasses both powermetal and thrash in one hit, Children of Bodom. Melodic death metal takes its influence from classic thrash bands but with an epic feel courtesy of the powermetal style keyboard addition.