Power Metal greats

speaking of power metal, control denied "fragile art of existence" is one of the greatest prog PM albums I have ever heard

sounds like TSOP except with far better vocals, a bit less technical guitar/drum work (which is a good thing I believe), and more interesting bass work (steve digiorgio)

Alexi is a damn good guitarist though. Whether Children of Bodom are a guilty pleasure or not, I love their earlier stuff.

As for Dragonforce, I really don't know why they are brought up in a Power Metal 'greats' thread. Dragonforce are to Power Metal fans what Cradle of Filth are to Black Metal elitists.

Favorite Guitarists: Kai Hansen and Luca Turilli.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Symphorce. Excellent band.

For me:

Blind Guardian
Helloween
Iced Earth (more thrashy, but still power metal)
Gamma Ray
Sanctuary
Rage
Helstar
Sonata Arctica

speaking of power metal, control denied "fragile art of existence" is one of the greatest prog PM albums I have ever heard

sounds like TSOP except with far better vocals, a bit less technical guitar/drum work (which is a good thing I believe), and more interesting bass work (steve digiorgio)

Eh, except that:-
a) The vocals annoy the fuck out of me. Seriously. It makes me want to punch myself in the fucking ears to make it stop.

b) Steve FUCKING Digiorgio needs to STOP NOODLING ON THE FUCKING BASS. THIS IS NOT JAZZ YOU SPOON FACED FUCK-FACE. No simple basslines for old steve - what we clearly need is a "boobly babboobbooooblelelebbboooooble" in the place of four clear bass notes per bar. CUNT.

Other than that, yeah, I like it too:headbang:

Eh, except that:-
a) The vocals annoy the fuck out of me. Seriously. It makes me want to punch myself in the fucking ears to make it stop.

I LOVE the vocals, they are somewhat different from most power metal vocals that I have heard and have alot of emotion

b) Steve FUCKING Digiorgio needs to STOP NOODLING ON THE FUCKING BASS. THIS IS NOT JAZZ YOU SPOON FACED FUCK-FACE. No simple basslines for old steve - what we clearly need is a "boobly babboobbooooblelelebbboooooble" in the place of four clear bass notes per bar. CUNT.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Lord Weird Slough Feg is the best. Bar none.

Yeah, definitely the best newer 'traditional-minded' metal outfit.

My favourite Power Metal bands/albums are:

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction (HEAVY)

Liege Lord - Freedom's Rise (HEV)

Virgin Steele - Marriage of Heaven and Hell 1&2 (Literate, mature and well composed power)

Nocturnal Rites first two albums (Fuck everything else they did, these two albums capture exactly what was great about old Swedish Metal like Mercy, Silver Mountain, Gotham City...)

Helloween - Walls of Jericho and the first Keeper album...so awesome

Blind Guardian - First five, all containing some of the most memorable, catchy, and ass kicking tracks without any of the frilly sleeved nonsense of the later emerging power metal scene (which they would sadly fall into themselves)

Rvnning Wild - Their early "pirate" period (I don't count their first two as Power Metal) - Jolly Roger through Death or Glory - I like it for pretty much the same reason as Blind Guardian (although these assholes wore puffy shirts... :p ).

Grave Digger - The Reaper, Tunes of War, Excalibur and Heavy Metal Breakdown are fucking heavy.

Crimson Glory's first album - Dark and expressive, amazing leads and vocals. Dated, yes, but if you like this kind of stuff...

Destiny's End/Onward/Crescent Shield are all awesome newer power metal, catchy and original songs, no wussy constant double bass + keyboards only...I recommend them in this set because they've all shared musicians in common.

you die! you die and go to hell for that.

digiorgio is the man for FINALLY bringing creativity in metal bass playing. i can only hope i am as good as he is. and im pretty damn good
~gR~

You, sir, are wrong. Just because the songs aren't about pansies and sucking cox, and the vocals aren't all pretty and flowery does not mean it's NOT power metal.

It's just power metal with harsh vocals.

Exactly. To even compare Bodom to any form of black metal, even melodic, shows you need to put in more research time.

Twisted Tower Dire is right behind the Slough Feg as the best American PM band.

Paragon can do no wrong, either.

Demoniac: Black Metal but their last album, The Fire and The Wind is basically Power Metal with black metal vocals. The band before Dragonforce
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=132195889

Honestly, they sound better than Dragonforce in some ways (melody, notes, riffs) but the vocalist is kinda annoying.

I would say the album The Fire and The Wind is a cornerstone in the idea of Blackened Power or Extreme Power Metal, whatever you want to call it.

No-one so far has mentioned Avantasia.

The Metal Opera Part 1 & 2 are two of the best power metal albums I have heard.

When people mention Edguy, Avantasia is probably pretty much implied.

I think it was great, but nothing as memorable as I expected it to be. For such a huge collaboration of musicians, it fell short. And why wasn't Hansi Kursch a part of it?