4 - Iced Earth
5 - Angra
6 - Rhapsody
7 - Lost Horizon
8 - At Vance
9 - Sonata Arctica
10 - IRON MAIDEN !!

:)

Hmmm...I just saw this question on another forum somewhere, somewhen, and it's a tough one. My answer will in all likelihood be what my top 5 are RIGHT NOW, as this changes all the time. So, without further ado, mine are (now edited to reflect a top 10)

Helloween (they're ALWAYS here)
Iced Earth
Edguy
Rhapsody
Angra
Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Freedom Call
Sonata Arctica
White Skull

Even after editing, it's STILL hard to leave out so many more fantastic bands, like: Drakkar, Domine, Hammerfall, Kamelot, Elvenking, Iron Maiden (can't forget the masters who started it all), Labyrinth and Demons & Wizards! There's more too, but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Good point - lets make it a top ten list. i've edited the root message. It just gives everyone an idea as to which power metal bands have something to offer these days.

Ok so let the top ten lists commence... :)

My top 10 (in no real order, except for Edguy being at number 1 by far).

1 - Edguy
2 - Blind Guardian
3 - Iced Earth
4 - Lost Horizon
5 - Rhapsody
6 - Stratovarius
7 - Sonata Arctica
8 - Jag Panzer
9 - Angra
10 - Gamma Ray

Floating around too are Kamelot, Heavenly, Thy Majestie, DragonLand, At Vance, Ring of Fire, Labyrinth, and Morifade. I've also heard some Tad Morose, Skylark, and Time Machine and they all sound good too (especially Time Machine).

Phew - too many! I'm also interested to see how these lists pan out just because there can be so many variations.

1.Edguy
2.Labyrinth
3.Gamma Ray
4.Skylark
5.RAGE
6.iced earth
7.Blind Guardian
8.Sonata Arctica
9.NIGHTWISH
10.Avantasia(Would have made #2 if it were a band!)

MAESTRO did you ever pick up Skylark's "Divine Gates 1 or 2" or Time Machine's "Evil" Those CD's rock

Originally posted by EDVANTASIA

MAESTRO did you ever pick up Skylark's "Divine Gates 1 or 2" or Time Machine's "Evil" Those CD's rock

I did indeed! I picked up Skylark (Divine Gates II) and sentinelsteel sent me a sampler with some Time Machine tracks (Where's my Heaven, Army of the Dead, Kiss of Fire, and Eccelsio Spirituolis). Which album are those tracks from - Evil?

Skylark is good - I have only listened to it once, so I'll get back to you on that one.

Time Machine however sounded excellent - they captured my attention immediately. Very good production too, and nice progressive influence.

Originally posted by markgugs

Helloween (they're ALWAYS here)
Iced Earth
Edguy
Rhapsody
Angra
Blind Guardian
Gamma Ray
Freedom Call
Sonata Arctica
White Skull

Even after editing, it's STILL hard to leave out so many more fantastic bands, like: Drakkar, Domine...

Mark: I have not ever of heard Freedom Call, White Skull, Drakkar, and Domine. Any particular albums worth checking out?

maestro_al, I'm glad you asked!

Freedom Call is currently wearing out the CD drive in my car, my home office stereo, the house changer, my roommate's Discman, etc. - I LOVE this band!

Oh yeah, your question! Freedom Call is a mildly symphonic POWER metal band that makes superb use of keys to enhance, rather than dominate, their speedy, melodic songs. I only own "Crystal Empire," which I believe is their newest. But I've been told their other 2 ("Taragon" and "Stairway to Fairyland") are equally as good. And oh yeah, almost forgot, the drummer (and primary songwriter) is Daniel Zimmerman of Gamma Ray! Check them out at www.freedom-call.com.

White Skull, Domine, and Drakkar are all Italian power/speed metal bands. But I'll take them one at a time for you:

White Skull:
Female vocalist, very extravagant at times symphonic metal, other times, gruff-as-all-heck Viking-themed metal! Of their albums, I'd have to say that "Tales From the North" is my personal fave, though "Public Glory Secret Agony" isn't far behind. They're awesome! You can see their stuff at http://users.iol.it/white_skull

Drakkar:
Another fantastic, speedy metal band along the lines of classic Helloween. Though named after a Viking longship, these guys are melodic, fantasy-inspired metal to the Nth degree. Get "Gemini" for sheer power metal bliss, and their website is at: http://www.drakkar.it/frames.htm

Domine:
Also Italian, and perhaps the most "traditional" of the bands mentioned here. They play epic, speedy, melodic metal in the Helloween/Hammerfall/Gamma Ray/Running Wild/Manowar vein. I only have "Dragonlord" on disc, but it's inspired by Michael Moorcock's fantasy series of novels (if that sort of thing interests you), so it's kind of cool in its own D&D-inspired way. Domine simply rules! All my opinion, of course. Their site is: http://truemetal.org/domine/main.htm

Hope this helps you. I know for a fact you can find customer reviews of all these bands on Amazon, and many of their songs for download at AudioGalaxy, so let me know what you think!

BTW, this Jacobs Dream disc I'm listening to right now is pretty damn good too!

Wow - thanks so much for the insight on those bands. I'll check out samples on all four, and if I like, I'll buy! They all sound very interesting - particularly Fates Warning and White Skull.

I have a feeling that you and Edvantasia may have very similar tastes by the way!

These days I'm listening to Morifade (possessions of power, although I hear their new CD is even better), DragonLand (produced by Andy LaRoque), Heavenly (sign of the winner) and Skylark (divine gates II).

Have you heard of Guardians of Time? I just got their CD - I haven't listened to it, but I really like the Derek Riggs front cover (as I do all of his artwork).

1 - Edguy / Avantasia
2 - Iron Maiden
3 - Iced Earth
4 - Gamma Ray
5 - Angra
6 - Blind Guardian
7 - Rhapsody
8 - Helloween (early stuff)
9 - Lost Horizon (wow - where did these guys come from?)
10 - Virgin Steele

:headbang:

If I had to list 10: (no order)

Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Elvenking
Gamma Ray
Morifade
Angra
Edguy
Jag Panzer (the most under rated band in the world!)
Nightwish
Dark Moor

Wow... that was not easy...

I keep hearing about Elvenking - thing is, some of the reviews I read just slaughtered them, and others dig them. What's special about Elvenking out of interest?

Originally posted by maestro_al
I keep hearing about Elvenking - thing is, some of the reviews I read just slaughtered them, and others dig them. What's special about Elvenking out of interest?

For me, it's the different mix of musical styles (symphonic, folk, power, thrash, some death and black). Also, they are very melodic and the songs are pretty complex which (to me) makes for an interesting listen. Check out their website www.elvenking.net for a couple of samples.

Once again, I was able to find the entire Elvenking 'Heathenreel' album (and cover art) on the sites I listed earlier in this thread (no, I don't work for them, I just shill for free).

I haven't listened to Elvenking yet, but I checked out some samples, and it was good enough for me to seek out; sounded very promising for the exact reasons mentioned by eppst1. If I could just find the album in a store, I'd buy it.

Good luck.

Believe it or not, it's listed as in stock at Vintage Vinyl here in New Jersey (www.vvinyl.com) for $14.99. Not too shabby. Considering that store's physical location is only 45 miles south of where I live, think I'll be taking a trip down there this afternoon!

Anyone need me to pick them up a copy (provided they have more than 1)?

Originally posted by markgugs
Believe it or not, it's listed as in stock at Vintage Vinyl here in New Jersey (www.vvinyl.com) for $14.99. Not too shabby. Considering that store's physical location is only 45 miles south of where I live, think I'll be taking a trip down there this afternoon!

Anyone need me to pick them up a copy (provided they have more than 1)?

If you pick it up, let me know what you think.

I just cant do a top 10 because my top 15 change everyday.

BUT........ the band that started it all for me back in the mid 80's while sitting in my 8th grade english class zoning out to Eagle fly free...

HELLOWEEN(Kai Hansen).... is and will always be my gold pick. That's something above any top 10 or 15 as they have impacted me for 17 years. It was them who steered me out of the normality of the music of that time and kept me entrenched within power metal........Hail!!!!

-Sat