the best power metal albums?

WeekendWarrior

Patriot
Sep 19, 2002
norway
Visit site
what do you think is the 10 best power metal albums out there?

my list:
1. edguy - theater of salvation
2. stratovarius - infinite
3. freedom call - stairway to fairyland
4. gamma ray - power plant
5. nightwish - wishmaster
6. rhapsody - symphony of enchanted lands
7. manowar - fighting the world
8. sonata arctica - silence
9. angra - angels cry
10. nocturnal rites - the sacred talisman

You've got some great choices in there!

Here's my top 10....not really in order though

Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied
Edguy - Mandrake
Sonata Arctica - Silence
Hammerfall - Legacy of Kings
NightWish - Century Child ( maybe a bit early for this)
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Avantasia the Metal Opera (Part I)
Freedom Call - Crystal Empire
Kamelot - Karma
Helloween - Keeper of the 7 keys (part I)

Here are my top 10 power metal albums:

1. Blind Guardian- Imaginations From The Otherside

2. Iced Earth- Something Wicked This Way Comes

3. Hammerfall-Legacy Of Kings

4. Nightwish- Wishmaster

5. Stratovarius- Chosen Ones

6. Sinergy- To Hell And Back

7. Odes Of Ecstasy- Deceitful Melody

8. Kamelot- Karma

9. Savatage- Dead Winter Dead

10. Howling Syn- Forebearers Of Dusk

Only power metal albums I got is Blind Guardian A Night At The Opera and HammerFall Renegade
icon11.gif
Renegade is fucking class and ANatO too wierd for my liking

If we count ManOwaR as power metal (which I don't usually) then I'd rank the albums of theirs I own as:

1. Battle Hymns
2. The Triumph Of Steel
3. Warriors Of The World
4. Sign Of The Hammer
5. Kings Of Metal
6. Fighting The World

:D

yep, manowar is probably defined as heavy metal and not power metal.
but dude, i don't like your ranking, heh. i think fighting the world is their best album..i mean, it's a fucking heavy metal classic!
and where is louder than hell on your list man? i would say that louder than hell is their second best album....my opinion anyway :)

Sometimes it really seems hard to tell what exact pigeonhole to put a band into I think! Kamelot to me is more "symphonic metal", and so is Angra (that's why I won't list them altough they rank high) - both leaning towards the progressive egde, wouldn't you think?
Where do you draw the line?
Maybe my understanding of Power Metal is different altogether - but here's my top ten anyhow - if only to add a few more new names! :)

At Vance - No Escape
Avalon - Eurasia
Balance of Power - Ten more tales of grand illusion
Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera ("Queen-Metal" yeah!!!!)
Brainstorm - Metus Mortis
Conquest - Worlds Apart
Iron Savior - Dark Assault (I way prefer them to Gamma Ray)
Mindfeed - Perfect Life?
Rage - Ghosts
Silent Force - The Empire of Future

- Power Quest soon to be added.....???!!! :D

Originally posted by Madrigal
Sometimes it really seems hard to tell what exact pigeonhole to put a band into I think! Kamelot to me is more "symphonic metal", and so is Angra (that's why I won't list them altough they rank high) - both leaning towards the progressive egde, wouldn't you think?
Where do you draw the line?
Maybe my understanding of Power Metal is different altogether - but here's my top ten anyhow - if only to add a few more new names! :)

At Vance - No Escape
Avalon - Eurasia
Balance of Power - Ten more tales of grand illusion
Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera ("Queen-Metal" yeah!!!!)
Brainstorm - Metus Mortis
Conquest - Worlds Apart
Iron Savior - Dark Assault (I way prefer them to Gamma Ray)
Mindfeed - Perfect Life?
Rage - Ghosts
Silent Force - The Empire of Future

- Power Quest soon to be added.....???!!! :D

I know what you are saying about "symphonic metal"..and I can see why you would class Kamelot/Angra as symphonic (sure the musical arrangements are in that vein). I guess when I think of symphonic I always think of Rhapsody...and then nothing seems quite so symphonic then. Not that I'm saying Rhapsody are a better band....song wise they certainly aren't!

You are quite right about pigeon-holes though, Madrigal. It does lead to endless, usually unnecessary arguing.

Irrespective of classification...I think Angra and Kamelot are great bands!

Originally posted by Symphony

You are quite right about pigeon-holes though, Madrigal. It does lead to endless, usually unnecessary arguing.

Yes! So let the "arguing" continue! :lol:

Weekend Warrior: Nah, Avalon are pretty "straight-forward" I'd say and have *hardly* any progressive elements! Why do you think they do? Where do you think their "progressiveness" sets in?

Irrespective of classification...I think Angra and Kamelot are great bands!

Fully agreed, Symphony! Especially Kamelot I love lots -- Khan has just one hell of a voice.... *melt*

And more on "arguable classifications" : I find it sooo funny you think of Rhapsody when hearing the term "symphonic" - to me they definitely belong into the genre labelled:

"BombasticTackyCheesyGreasyMetal"

Don't anyone tell me they have never heard of this particular sub-sub-sub genre !!

What are - to you *personally* (it's just too important to make that point, aye!) typical Symphonic bands then?

Originally posted by WeekendWarrior
yep, manowar is probably defined as heavy metal and not power metal.
but dude, i don't like your ranking, heh. i think fighting the world is their best album..i mean, it's a fucking heavy metal classic!
and where is louder than hell on your list man? i would say that louder than hell is their second best album....my opinion anyway :)

Fighting The World a metal classic? Guess we just don't see eye to eye :) :) the only song on it I really liked was Defender. The concept and atmosphere is brilliant, but I feel it was a bit of a wasted opportunity - too much talking (Orwell's perfermance not as electrifying as his part on Dark Avenger), too many choruses and not enough verse.
That's also the main problem I found with the album - too much chorus! I mean, the sentiment's great an' all but it feels like the whole thing's got more in common with Poison than ManOwAR!

I share the sentiments on catigorising music too ;) Rock on!

Madrigal......I totally understand what you mean about Rhapsody. For me I guess the following would be "symphonic"

Rhapsody
Skylark
Holy Knights
Freedom Call (in a much looser sense of the word)

I guess to tendency is to equate symphonic to bombastic...and I'm as guilty as the next man (or woman!) there.

Originally posted by Ayeka
Fighting The World a metal classic? Guess we just don't see eye to eye :) :) the only song on it I really liked was Defender. The concept and atmosphere is brilliant, but I feel it was a bit of a wasted opportunity - too much talking (Orwell's perfermance not as electrifying as his part on Dark Avenger), too many choruses and not enough verse.
That's also the main problem I found with the album - too much chorus! I mean, the sentiment's great an' all but it feels like the whole thing's got more in common with Poison than ManOwAR!

I share the sentiments on catigorising music too ;) Rock on!

wtf?
it's a real heavy metal classic! fighting the world, carry on, defender, holy war, every fuckin song is brilliant.
to much chorus? who cares as long as the chorus is catchy ::headbang:
hehe..i know what you mean, and it doesnt bother me at all :)

Originally posted by Symphony
Madrigal......I totally understand what you mean about Rhapsody. For me I guess the following would be "symphonic"

Rhapsody
Skylark
Holy Knights
Freedom Call (in a much looser sense of the word)

I guess to tendency is to equate symphonic to bombastic...and I'm as guilty as the next man (or woman!) there.

holy knights is actually a good band. i really love their new album, and the title track is quite impressive! i would say a good rival to rhapsody :)
skylark has improved themselves as well. the princess day is a ok album, with some ok songs. the production is not perfect though :D hehe.
freedom call is my favorite band, and i have all of their albums (including taragon EP). just got to love their musical style!
i guess power quest and freedom call wil be my favorite bands after the wings of forever release ;)

Arthemis :D
Avantasia the Metal Opera pt2
Dragonland
Dream Evil
Highlord
Holy Knights
Missa Mercuria
Morifade
Nocturanal Rites
Rhapsody

...Genius A Rock Opera episode 1, Onmyo-za, At Vance, Wonderland...etc..

It may change by the end of tomorrow. :rolleyes: