5 favorite metal countries?

WeekendWarrior

Patriot
Sep 19, 2002
norway
Visit site
i did see this thread on a metal forum a while back, and i decided to post it here :D

what are your 5 favorite metal countries?

mine are:
-germany
(helloween, they invented power!, gamma ray, edguy, blind guardian, FREEDOM CALL)

-england ,UK
(iron maiden, black sabbath, judas priest, POWER QUEST)

-finland
(stratovarius, nightwish, sonata arctica...)

-sweden
(europe, nocturnal rites, hammerfall...)

-italy
(rhapsody, thy majestie, labyrinth, vision divine, holy knights....)

Good idea for a thread dude. Haven't seen this one before.....although I completely agree with your choices of countries for power/true metal.

I guess you could argue a case for the US if we are going to count 80' hard rock/glam metal stuff and I think the US would come close with bands like Iced Earth and Steel Prophet.

Anybody else got any different thoughts?

No 1: UK!
for THRESHOLD, Marillion, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jadis, Arena, Pendragon, Jethro Tull, The Beatles, The Stones, Free, Traffic, Hawkwind, Paradise Lost, Mesh, Anathema, Antimatter... umm those spring to mind just now... and there's MANY more (well, Power Quest, yes! hahaha)

No. 2: Germany
Vanden Plas, Poverty's No Crime, Gamma Ray, Iron Savior, Rage, At Vance, Eloy, that whole Krautrock stuff (hehe -which I love)

No. 3: Holland
Lemur Voice, Ayreon, The Gathering, After Forever, Within Temptation, Golden Earring

No. 3: Canada
Rush, Heaven's Cry, Into Eternity

No. 4 US
Symphony X, Dream Theater...errrrm..... there must be more??!!

And I suppose Sweden should be mentioned as well - or the whole of Scandinavia -- there's one huge pool of (often very young!) talent breeding up there! :D

Ha! That was quite a challenge since often I am not really sure what place a band comes from! And anyhow.... EVERY single country has great musicians, it just seems to me that the UK has the most fertile ground for them.... (or writers, as such) :D

Sorry, there just has to be six...

1#US
- Dream Theater, Savatage, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Symphony X, Queensryche, Shadow Gallery, Virgin Steele, Crimson Glory, Eternity X, Magnitude9, Dio, WASP

2#Germany
- Helloween, Blind Guardian, GammaRay, Freedom Call, Angel Dust, Edguy, Vanden Plas, Rough Silk, Poverty's No Crime, Dreamscape

3#Finland
- Sentenced, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Amorphis, Children of Bodom, Kalmah, Thunderstone, The Black League, Ensiferum, Tunnelvision, Silent Voices, Celesty

4#Sweden
- Lake of Tears, Evergrey, Pain of Salvation, The Storyteller, Hammerfall, Tad Morose, Andromeda, Lost Horizon, In Flames, Therion, Falconer, Majestic

5#UK
- Iron Maiden, Paradise Lost, Bal-Sagoth, Judas Priest, Threshold, Skyclad, Anathema, Power Quest, DragonForce

6#Italy
- Rhapsody, Labyrinth, Vision Divine, Thy Majestie, River of Change, Time Machine, Empty Tremor, Skylark, Athena

So far I liked Finland, of course... that's where I am coming from also, so the best.
And then others are Germany, USA (good and bad both), Sweden, Brazil, Italy.
Bubbling under France, UK probably... missed something important, anyway? : )

Okay, before I say what countries, I have to say that I'm coming from a "Would I want to live there"? point of view. I do like the bands and metal music from these countries. I also have to say that living in America, where it SUCKS to no end musically:(:mad: Who wouldn't want to live in another country where metal is a little wider accepted?

My picks are:
Germany
Romania
Greece
Norway
Finland
Switzerland
:D

Originally posted by Symphony
I believe Sinergy are from Finland, although kimberley is from the US I think. Correct me if I'm wrong guys
Nothing to fix here... just to mention that on their debut album, there was also Swedish guys playing.
But still Alexi Laiho is kinda head-master, together with Kim is American, they both live in Finland.
I heard they are couple... anyway in my opinion pretty strange one, but who I am to judge anyone! : )

1. UK 2. Germany 3. Finland 4. Sweden 5.Italy

I have to agree with Blessed Night Child....I was blown away by the landscape shots in the Lord of the Rings. I would love to visit New Zealand.

I will be visiting Germany for the first time early next year :) Looking forward to that.

BNC+dragonmaiden....as you may or may not know Steve Scott and Sam spent a large part of their formative years in New Zealand...sound pretty cool from what they have said about it.

WW.....yeah Wacken next year! Every year I keep saying I will go and then something gets in the way. 2003 should be the one!