Top 5 List: Favorite Power Metal Band

Satanistical, it sounds like we were at least somewhat similar growing up. Roughly thinking, if you were in 8th grade right around '87 or so (when 'Eagle Fly Free' was current), we're about the same age, and it was much the same for me. I mean, it was one thing that other people knew who Maiden and Priest were at that time - hell, they were on MTV - but bands like Helloween and Manowar were only for the metalheads. You know, the kids who wore the Overkill t-shirts to class.

I digress, but know that I fully understand your feelings on Helloween and them influencing you to a lifelong love of power metal. They were that band who you thought was so damn cool because you had stumbled upon something secret and far too awesome for just anyone to be allowed to have as well. Sigh, memories.

Anyway, didn't really have a point, just wanted to say I knew what you meant.

Hail! to you too.

Blind Guardian
Rhapsody
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Destiny's End
Angel Dust
Sonata Arctica
Edguy
Stormwind
Reign of Terror

Honorable Mention: Stranglehold, Steel Warrior, Holy Mother

For what it's worth, you'll probably get some that argue Iron Maiden isn't Power metal, their NWOBHM though personally I consider them a forerunner and influential to the Power Metal Scene.

Any thoughts on that?

John

John:

I DO agree with you about the Maiden thingie, but I attribute that to my age (29). When I was a teen, Maiden, Priest, even Helloween weren't Power Metal, they were just metal. I mean, FUCKING metal! There weren't really genres, at least not to me. Power Metal is something that I think didn't really be recognized as such until the early '90s (or maybe late '80s), when it was forced back underground by grunge and what-not. This also might explain why it most likely seems as that it's ALWAYS been in Europe; hell, it never went away!

But you're right, Maiden, and I feel Priest and Helloween were THE bands that influenced the whole power metal shebang. And thank God for it.

Yeah, it definately seemed like Judas Priest had some faster stuff like Freewheel Burning and Painkiller.

I don't know the history of power metal, maybe I should, but it seems like a cross between the thrash/speed metal of the 80's like Helloween, Abattior, Agent Steel, Nasty Savage, Savage Grace, Omen and NWOBHM like Iron Maiden & Demon.

Anyone care to grace us with their knowledge of the genre?

JOhn

I think Ritchie Blackmore and Rainbow had a huge influence on power metal. Today, several power metal bands pay triubute and often cover Rainbow songs. Look at Henjo Richter - you only have to listen to his lead playing to see that he is heavilly influenced by Blackmore (listen to The Winged Horse from SOIS!).

There is also Dio. I guess since he fronted Rainbow, then the previous paragraph covers that aspect, but his Sabbath and solo stuff is definitely 'power' influential. Holy Diver, Stand up and Shout, Dream Evil, Kneon Nights etc.

And what about Manowar and Saxon?...

Maiden were a direct influence on Helloween, so they play a big part in some way or another. Judas Priest - perhaps - but some of the Priest clones today are just god awful. Primal Fear(!) - the most overrated band on the planet (next to Hammerfall) with the most overrated singer in Ralph Scheepers.

That's the problem with Power Metal - some of it is great, and the rest of it is really really bad. There doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

That's an interesting take. I would have never thought of Rainbow as being influential to Power metal when you consider how melodic some of their music is.

I can see maybe a little of Black Sabbath during Dio's tenure. Stuff like Neon Knights or Mob RUles having a bit of an influence but most of their stuff wasn't fast, just heavy.

I think you could make a case for Manowar but Saxon? Demin and Leather, Wheels of Steel or Crusader seemed more NWOBHM than power metal.

Isn't it true to say though that since Power Metal didn't actually exist during the era of NWOBHM then several NWOBHM bands would therefore qualify as a potential influence?

It's tough to pinpoint anyway, since PM is all over the place these days. I still dispute that Iced Earth are anywhere near PM (much more thrash/speed), and Angra, BG, Gamma Ray, Edguy, and Stratovarius are all so different. They could have all been influenced by completely different bands.

Who knows? :D It's certainly something I would like to ask the power metal bands at PP3 if I get the chance. I'm betting money that the Blackmore/Rainbow/Purple/Dio family tree gets a mention.

In no particular order, my current top ten includes:

Iced Earth
Seven Witches (only the first two, with Bobby Lucas at the helm!)
Therion
Rhapsody
Nevermore (long live Sanctuary!!!)
Blind Guardian
Savatage (the Criss Oliva years)
'Maiden
Nightwish
MANOWAR!

And I know they are considered thrash, but Overkill may be my favorite Metal Band of all time. Consistent, neck-damaging, true f'n metal!
honorable mentions to Angel Dust, White Skull, Domine, Elvenking, Dark Moor, Falconer, Jag Panzer, Steel Prophet, Brainstorm, Katagory V, Jacob's Dream, and similar bands I've discovered only recently. Also, a special consideration to Bathory, who influenced some of the aforementioned with their Viking material.
And even though I never got into them as much as most of the people on this board, I do like Helloween and Gamma Ray. They just aren't in my top ten. (sorry)...
Also, I can't seem to grasp some of these: Edguy, Angra, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica (anyone remember Europe?), Kamelot, and the most over-rated band on the planet: HAMMERFALL. Most of these bands have very dry material in my own extremely humble opinion. Maybe my opinion will change after PPUSA3. *shrug*
Let the flaming commence...

STAY TRUE!!!

~Hoyt.

Originally posted by Stile

Also, I can't seem to grasp some of these: Edguy, Angra, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica (anyone remember Europe?), Kamelot,

*gasps in shock*

and the most over-rated band on the planet: HAMMERFALL.

*nods furiously in agreement*

Maybe my opinion will change after PPUSA3.

~Hoyt.

I think it should. Most live performances sometimes add a twist to whether you like a band or not. Seeing Edguy and Angra live at PP3 should be exhilarating.

I think back in the day before we had 500 million metal genra's Helloween was just speed metal, plain and simple. I dont know who said it above (sorry to lazy just got home from seeing Manowar *ears ringgggggging*) about Hammerfall being over rated but I kinda dont agree. I've been into them before Glory to the brave went big and I have talked to Oscar Dronjak when they played the Maritime Hall here in San Francisco, and they fucking love what they do even tho they might come off as over rated they really are not. They just want to give us metal brothers and sisters some good metal!

-Satan

5 fav power metal bands from Europe:
1.Attack
2.Veni Domine
3.Heaven's Gate (first 2 albums)
4.Adramelch
5.Defender

5 fav power metal bands from the U.S.
1.Sanctuary
2.Helstar
3.Savage Grace
4.Mystic Force
5.Heir Apparent

and of course the first 3 Fates Warning albums and the first 2 Queensryche albums...that was POWER metal at its best