ITALIAN POWER METAL VS... THE WORLD

Marco64

Dec 15, 2006
And anyone agrees that Italy has some of the best Power Metal bands around?
Rhapsody (of Fire), Labyrinth, Skylark, Domine, Vision Divine, Steel Seal, White Skull, Thy Majestie... and the guitar-heroes Alex Masi, Aldo Giuntini and Dario Mollo...
Italian Power rules! :headbang:

I agree. I love all those bands. But they get flak from the kvlt brigade.

Steel Seal's debut album is amazing!

germany > italy
blind guardian??? gravedigger???
~gR~

Yes, German bands are great too and in the 80s and 90s Helloween, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Primal Fear and so on have been real Power Metal masters... but presently Italian bands have something more, in my opinion! :kickass:

Totally different styles. When it comes to Speed Metal, the masters are Early Blind Guardian, Rage, Running Wild, StormWarrior, Grave Digger, Gamma Ray & Helloween.

But Italian Power Metal is more grandiose, and relies on the 'Epic' feeling. It is also the stereotypical Power Metal, with high pitched vocals (Though Vision Divine doesn't have that) and reliance on non-metal instruments, something many people hate. So while Italian PM is the best in its genre, i.e., Symphonic...Germany wins overall when it comes to Power Metal.

Very good analysis, Son of Evil, I think you're right! What I meant is exactly what you said about the epic feeling: I agree that presently it can be found more in the Italian band's albums than in the German ones. Moreover, Italian Power Metal is more "classical" - I don't want to use the term "stereotypical", that has a little negative undertone - and it's what I personally like best...

US Power Metal > German Power Metal > Greek Power Metal > Italian Power Metal

Totally different styles. When it comes to Speed Metal, the masters are Early Blind Guardian, Rage, Running Wild, StormWarrior, Grave Digger, Gamma Ray & Helloween.

But Italian Power Metal is more grandiose, and relies on the 'Epic' feeling. It is also the stereotypical Power Metal, with high pitched vocals (Though Vision Divine doesn't have that) and reliance on non-metal instruments, something many people hate. So while Italian PM is the best in its genre, i.e., Symphonic...Germany wins overall when it comes to Power Metal.

Good post and pretty much the undeniable truth!

yeah, i can agree with that. but because V5 said its undeniable. i'm gonna disagree... no particular reason...
~gR~

I prefer the US Power Metal scene over anyother and anyone who doesn't is damn ignorant.

This list of bands can't be beat:

Helstar
Liege Lord
Jag Panzer
Omen
Savatage
Attacker
Nasty Savage
Agent Steel
Nevermore

I'll just stop there and take the win

I prefer the US Power Metal scene over anyother and anyone who doesn't is damn ignorant.

This list of bands can't be beat:

Helstar
Liege Lord
Jag Panzer
Omen
Savatage
Attacker
Nasty Savage
Agent Steel
Nevermore

I'll just stop there and take the win

hey, liege lord, savatage, nasty savage and nevermore aren't power metal... and jag panzer is more prog than power today

Stormlord is my favorite Italian power metal band. Yep, they are power metal. If you try to listen to them as a black metal band (which they are not), they will suck. But if you listen to them as power metal with harsh vocals, they are good. They are like a non-gay version of CoB.

hey, liege lord, savatage, nasty savage and nevermore aren't power metal... and jag panzer is more prog than power today

Obviously you don't know what US Power Metal is. And the Jag Panzer in question would by Ample Destruction, which is far from fucking Prog.