Power metal

Symphony X is awesome. I love those guys, I wouldn't really call them power metal though, although they are I would say they are more melodic metal (not melodic death, but melodic).

Stratovarius
Rhapsody
Luca Turilli
Shaman
Dragonland
Metallium (funny name, but good power metal)

Vanden Plas, another very good band-are they power metal?

Metallica's Black Album might as well be power metal.

The problem though with power metal genre, is that there is a total lack of new ideas. The genre is stale, and cheesy. Every band has copied Helloween, Priest, Malmsteen and Maiden. After one listens to more than a dozen bands- one will notice that every band sounds pretty much the same- the biggest differance may be that one singer doesnt scream at such a high pitch as another power metal singer. I have to say there are only 6 or 7 bands that seem somewhat original to me- and I think I have named them all.

It seems to me that most power metal fans listen to these many stale bands just to admire the musicianship of a guitarist- or a hook they hear.

the first metal bands i ever listened to were power...
blind guardian, edguy, and angra are great and i dont care what anyone says :)

as for other power bands, they range from terrible---good in different degrees, but they are great fun when they play live

Heavenly
Avantasia
Blindguardian
Nocturnal rites
Dragonland
Children of Bodom - you could say they are powermetal with the blackend vocals.
Nostradameus
Lost Horizon
Steel Attack

thats all I got. even know most of em were named already.

im not huge on power metal, but the cheesiest I can think of is Freedom Call.... I have one album by them on my computer, its so friggin bad and cheesy i cant even listen to it. the album is even called "Stairway to Fairyland" for christs sake!!!

I dislike most power metal, but if you look past the cheesiness and overall dorkiness of some bands, you see that they're...pretty damn good.

Lost Horizon and Tad Morose are good.

Topic creator: Got the leak of Dragonforce's new album yet? It totally fucking rules.

\m/ Blastbeats In Power Metal \m/

Get the new Tad Morose cd "Modus Vivendi" - it is one of the greatest metal albums I have ever heard. Soaring melodies, ripping guitars, powerful in your face kick ass metal. The lead singer at times will remind you of an updated modern day Blackie Lawless. I am just killing this album.