power metal, the guilty pleasure

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
ya know, there are alot of DM/BM guys on here, but i think nearly all of them love the power metal. i know i do. for some reason its like a fuckin guilty pleasure. its cheesy and catchy, but it still requires talent! and unless youre gonna denounce bands like iron maiden and judas priest, who had a huge influence on the creation of power, you gotta own up to liking atleast a little bit of power metal!

so whose with me on this? COME OUT OF THE POWER METAL CLOSET! YOU HAVE NOTHING TO FEAR! :headbang: :loco:
~gR~

I'm a huge fan of power metal! It is the shizzznit... Dragonforce, Rhapsody, Blind Guardian, Power Quest... the lsit goes on and on!

The cheesier the better is what I say. Power Metal pwnzes, Its one of the genres with the most CDs I own. I like Blind Guardian, Rhapsody, Angra, Nightwish, Iced Earth, Helloween, and Stratovarious, among others.

Helloween, Jag Panzer, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Gamma Ray and Running Wild are among my favorite power metal bands. They're all good, with Helloween being one of my favorites of all time, and i'm not ashamed of it. And i find Iced Earth to be more Power/Thrash, especially their earlier stuff, but as of late, they have been going in a more power metal-ish direction, so i guess if they count, add them in too. And they're also one of my all-time favorites.

Blind Guardian all the way! They brought me to metal at all, therefore they have a special place in my heart, and, for the most part, they don't have too happy choruses and singalongs... in fact, most of their songs are quite melancholic.

nevermore, but only hammerfall and blindguardian when im in a cheesy mood, sometimes its too cheesy for me

King Fear said:
Blind Guardian all the way! They brought me to metal at all, therefore they have a special place in my heart, and, for the most part, they don't have too happy choruses and singalongs... in fact, most of their songs are quite melancholic.
They sure as hell do have happy singalongs on their latest CD; I wish that they had more points when just one voice was singing. They are still a good band though, but I must say that their latest CD is my least favorite.

I like some, but I haven't found much more than these:

Dragonforce
Children Of Bodom
Tad Morose
Lost Horizon
The Lord Weird Slough Feg

Life Sucks said:
They sure as hell do have happy singalongs on their latest CD; I wish that they had more points when just one voice was singing. They are still a good band though, but I must say that their latest CD is my least favorite.
My thoughts exactly; for me, Tokyo Tales and Imaginations From The Other Side are what Blind Guardian is all about. The almost 70 minutes of choir overkill (have you noticed what cool layered lead guitar stuff is going on in the background if you listen closely? A bloody shame it's buried beneath all this) that are A Night At The Opera can give you a bad headache. I have to say though that about a week ago, I played it again and found it much much better than I remembered it to be. And I've always loved "And Then There Was Silence" from that album - impressive.

Id probably really love power metal if it wasnt for the vocals, i just really cant get myself to like them. Because of the vocals and lyrics i find it really hard to take a lot of power metal bands seriously. The only power metally band i like are Children of Bodom