Thy Majestie and similar power metal /progressive metal bands are terrible...

AterMelodius

New Metal Member
Aug 3, 2001
www.zomcoder.com
For a while there I was downloading a shit load of power metal music. The only power metal bands I like so far are Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. Too much of this stuff is cheesy as all hell. And Symphony X...they play so perfectly its like there is no creativity in it at all. Like they pulled their songs out of a music theory book.
Partially its the vocals. For some reason I revel in vocals that dont have a mile a minute vibrato and aren't high as a violin in a romance movie soundtrack. Like in Thy Majestie, the guy sounds like its a little boy or a retard singing, he is so terrible at English. That brings me to the subject of italian black metal. Its like, combines the really cheesy medieval tunes of power metal with black metal. What shit. The only band I've heard that pulls off medieval melodies "correctly" (i.e. the way I like it) is Thyrfing, and they're Swedish.

The stuff I like has to be dark, majestic, and mercilessly agressive. Its also got to have some degree of melody. I even consider Cannibal Corpse to be melodic, which I am sure many of you traditional metal fans will find absolutely appaling. Vocals must be passionate, agressive, and if sung clean they must sound majestic and/or gruff. Excessive vibratos for some reason really get under my skin. The singer of Nevermore is my favorite kind of clean vocals. Also Borknagar...and the clean vocals on Emperor, IX Equilibrium....those are really cool
....and Opeth's clean vocals are really nice.
-AterMelodius
melodic Black/Death Metal Head
\,,\- >D -/,,/12