Metal - you're guilty pleasures

aliasp

Old School since '86
Oct 26, 2003
*** Yes I know I stuffed up the Thread title - should be YOUR not You're - its late - I am tired. Bored even ***

Ok time to come clean. What metal/hard rock/alternatie/nu metal/etc guilty pleasure do you secretly love but are afraid to share with your metal mates for fear of being called a loser or worse - an emo (my mates labelled me this recently for dying my hair black - hey I just wanted to hide my grey hairs).

Ok my guilty pleasures

Stryper - yes massive fan. Got all their albums.
Alien Ant Farm - really enjoy their stuff
Linkin Park - um... yes ... hmmm
I Killed the Prom Queen - local Metalcore act who look like Emo's

I feel better now sharing that.

madonna - i'm sure i'm not gay. i was married for 13 years to a woman who was as hardcore (or more) a madonna fan as i am a maiden fan. i dig some of the music (mostly the later stuff) and i can't argue with someone who has been on top of their game for over 20 years.

violent femmes - though not really a guitly pleasure. they kick ass and gordon is a really nice guy.

Oh, Christ... where to start?

Twisted Sister - I know they're camp, but they actually had some great stuff back in the day.

Dokken - The one time I've met Don Dokken, he was a nice guy.

Enuff Z'Nuff - THESE guys don't get nearly any of the credit they deserve. They never wanted to be a hair metal band... they simply wanted to be the Beatles in terms of the style of their music. Chip Z'Nuff - I'll buy him a beer any day of the week.

Non-metal:

Styx - Simply put, without Dennis DeYoung in the band, they ain't Styx.

Josh Groban - The guy has a simply incredible voice, much like Andrea Bocelli.

John Denver - He was never country, he was a singer-songwriter, much like Harry Chapin and Jim Croce. I still dig his stuff, though I didn't get back into him until after his death.

Never be ashamed of anything you listen to. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and there's nothing wrong with liking other genres of music. And then there are elitist discusiions within the metal community of what is "true" metal and what is "false" metal. Tell those snobs to get off their fucking high horse. Who cares what the genre of music is if you like it.

However, stuff I like that "troo metalheads" might feel ashamed about listening to include Twisted Sister (as dailyvault mentioned, back in the day they were awesome, and introduced me to metal), and The Offspring (fun stuff to party to), a lot of 80's hair metal acts (Warrant, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, Slaughter...I can't say I've heard anything they've done recently, but my CD collection includes a lot of their albums from late 80s and early 90s).

I like what I like and I'm proud of it; I don't feel I need to defend my decision to like a band or not to anyone. If any one else has a problem with that, well, it's their problem, not mine.

No not hiding anything. Sugar Ray had some cool songs back in the day.

If you mean, "Lemonade & Brownies", then yes, they did actually have some good stuff out there. 10 Seconds Down and Mean Machine were actually pretty kickass songs. Everything they have done after L&B......:puke:

Alien Ant Farm - really enjoy their stuff

Very underrated musicians. I have all their stuff....I coud do without the naked beerbongs in their dvd, though:lol: :puke:

I'm with NFF on this subject. None of the stuff I listen too is something that I consider a guilty pleasure, just stuff I like to listen too. So here is some stuff for you to laugh at
Jeff Buckley
George Benson-I love the song "Breezin". He is just an all around badass musician.
Bill Laswell-Phenomenal bass player
John Zorn-weird guy but some of the stuff he does is AMAZING.
Parliament- If you aren't down with the P-Funk, then you ain't down wit me. Saw them in Nashville once and it was fucking awesome.
I listen to a lot of blues and jazz also....Too many to list, actually.
So I could be listening to Bloodbath and then pop in Howlin Wolf or Django Reinhardt and not think anything of it:lol:

@ Karro....I'm pretty sure you are gay:loco: :lol:

Just kiddin:D

The Alarm
The Replacements
The Smiths
Cross Canandian Ragweed
Old Crow Medicine Show
Old Rap stuff from the 80s and early 90s
A lotta old blues too.

Never be ashamed of anything you listen to. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and there's nothing wrong with liking other genres of music. And then there are elitist discusiions within the metal community of what is "true" metal and what is "false" metal. Tell those snobs to get off their fucking high horse. Who cares what the genre of music is if you like it.

However, stuff I like that "troo metalheads" might feel ashamed about listening to include Twisted Sister (as dailyvault mentioned, back in the day they were awesome, and introduced me to metal), and The Offspring (fun stuff to party to), a lot of 80's hair metal acts (Warrant, Skid Row, Poison, Motley Crue, Slaughter...I can't say I've heard anything they've done recently, but my CD collection includes a lot of their albums from late 80s and early 90s).

I like what I like and I'm proud of it; I don't feel I need to defend my decision to like a band or not to anyone. If any one else has a problem with that, well, it's their problem, not mine.

That pretty much sums it up for me too. I like a lot of different kinds of music. Everything from Willie Nelson to Slayer! In just the last 24 hours, I've listened to Johnny Cash, Blue Murder, Anthrax, B.B. King, Ramones, The Who, Quiet Riot, and Faster Pussycat.

Never be ashamed of anything you listen to. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and there's nothing wrong with liking other genres of music. And then there are elitist discusiions within the metal community of what is "true" metal and what is "false" metal. Tell those snobs to get off their fucking high horse. Who cares what the genre of music is if you like it...

...I like what I like and I'm proud of it; I don't feel I need to defend my decision to like a band or not to anyone. If any one else has a problem with that, well, it's their problem, not mine.

You are absolutely right. I think everybody should feel this way. However, a lot of people look up to others and form their opinions and tastes accordingly to what's cool, hot etc. I still remember a kid in my school who was hiding that he liked jazz, he was afraid that girls would have thought of him as of queer... I suspect the majority of people has a sertain kind of hidden identity that they call "guilty pleasures"... As my grandma used to say - "What important is you be a good boy and never skip your school". :)

I still have some Manowar on my ipod, and sometimes like to listen to old rock ballads (you know - Scorpions, Ozzy...):oops:

I'm not ashamed of anything, :loco: but I sometimes take heat for:
Tom Jones
Prince
John Denver
Beethoven.. and other classical
Styx
Korn
Beach Boys
Kid Rock
The Cure
Old Skool HipHop
Tony Bennet
...I'm sure there's more, but I can't think right now... gotta go get my Drink-on.

That pretty much sums it up for me too. I like a lot of different kinds of music. Everything from Willie Nelson to Slayer! In just the last 24 hours, I've listened to Johnny Cash, Blue Murder, Anthrax, B.B. King, Ramones, The Who, Quiet Riot, and Faster Pussycat.

Where there's a whip, there's a way :headbang:

I listen to whatever I want, despite the fact that some of the bands are considered "uncool" by a lot of metal fans:

Disturbed
Dokken
Evanescence
H.I.M.
Linkin Park
Lynch Mob
Slipknot
Trivium
Wicked Wisdom

My collection also features a lot of other stuff from blues to jazz to classic rock to progressive rock to classical to punk to ... well ... about the only thing it doesn't include is rap (except for 'Thrax and Linkin Park) and country (except for Rebel Meets Rebel).