Do you consider Slipknot to be Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Derek~

Sep 9, 2006
Tennessee
Do you consider Slipknot to be Metal? They're always lumped in with the Nu Metal bands but I do consider them Metal on their first 2 albums, the riffs definitely sound Metal, the vocals have a hardcore type scream to it, not quite a black metal scream, but it sure sounds Metal to me, sure there's occasional raps here and there and more drony type cleans, but what else would you call this band if they weren't Metal? Hard Rock? they sound heavier than any hard rock band I've ever heard, them and early Mudvayne fit the bill to be Metal, so what do you consider Slipknot to be?
They're alsothe only "Nu Metal" band that gets regular play on XM radio.

I don't care for Slipknot. Their music no longer appeals to me. However, I acknowledge them as a metal band.

It confuses me how some people refute their being a metal band.

They were only ever close to being metal on their debut album, aside from that it was nothing but nu-metal (which is more related to alternative rock than anything else.)

I think early Slipknot is decent stuff, I don't really listen to it anymore, but when I hear it on XM it's fine to listen to. Same thing with early Mudvayne, I prefer that over the Metalcore stuff I've heard anyways.

SlipknoT were metal, Iowa album was definitly metal, not hard rock. And clean vocals in some places doesn't make it nu-metal, even Psycroptic used clean vocals on their album. Just because people hate SlipknoT it doesn't mean that they always were non-metal.

Hardcore, hard rock, grindcore and industrial are the elements I hear in their sound. Speaking in terms of imagery they are pure mallcore/"nu metal". If there is any metal influence in there it's certainly not the focus or primary element. I've never seen a convincing argument for calling them metal (just the "loud and heavy" one), so I think that if anyone has one this would be a good time to share, instead of just taking a pointless survey.

...the riffs definitely sound Metal...
The riffs are tend to be rhythmically oriented and drop-tuned, which is more typical of nu-metal than metal, at least from what I've seen.

First of all nu-metal isn't a real genre. It's a naive term used by mainstream crititcs etc to describe what they believed was a popular style of modern metal. For example, Linkin Park, Korn, Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit are NOT metal.

I have no problem when people call Slipknot metal. Their drummer often utilizes drum patters found in metal as opposed to simple rock-pattern drumming. And guitar-wise, they aren't quite as generic as people consider them to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.