Do you consider Slipknot to be Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This topic has been beaten to death.

I'm glad thisisaformitacable has stepped in though, as that is the same argument I would have used. You can see through a lot of this genre bullshit if you play an instrument and understand some fundamentals.

I think Slipknot is kind of borderline, but I would hardly say that they are a RAP group with guitars. When comparing the use of screams and clean vocals with rapped vocals, the screaming is much more prominent, so it's ignorant to refer to them as rap.

yeah, u r right... i ignore them totally, and i don't care if my ignorance make bands like slipkshit, linkin parkinson and syndrome of down stay away from me

I already had a 10 page argument in the non-metal section about this very subject. In short, my opinion is that Slipknot are a metal band. Just because they are popular and gimmicky and their music doesn't have much depth doesn't mean that it isn't metal.

The rocky stuff, I imagine? I don't hear a lot of Left Hand Path in their sound.
Not to change the subject, but there is a song on Hatebreed's Perseverace where the main/beginning riff sounds just like the second riff in Stranger Aeons by Entombed. It was clearly ripped off from it. The similarity jumped out at me the first time I heard that Hatebreed song.

So does anyone actually have a reason to consider them metal? All I'm seeing is a lot of "they're definitely metal" with no explanations and "just because they do X doesn't make them not metal" which is dandy but doesn't address the objections raised in this thread...

It should be easy to see that their guitar work is rooted more in the modern hardcore style of riffing than that of metal.
That makes no sense. There have been countless punk and hardcore influences in metal. Early punk bands like The Exploited and GBH influenced early black metal bands. When I hear a Bathory or Darkthrone riff, it reminds me of old-school punk.

D.R.I. (especially early) has influenced hundreds of grindcore bands.

Do I need to explain the influence Black Flag had on sludge metal?

Saying 'metal' isn't 'metal' because of its hardcore influence isn't an argument that holds much water.

Sadly, the decision will be made for us whether we like it or not - much like these descriptions...

Merriam/Webster:
heavy metal
One entry found.
heavy metal

Main Entry:
heavy metal
Function:
noun
Date:
: energetic and highly amplified electronic rock music having a hard beat
Cambridge:
heavy metal (MUSIC) noun
a style of rock music with a strong beat, played very loudly using electrical instruments
Dictionary.com
Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
heavy metal
–noun 1. any metal with a specific gravity of 5.0 or greater, esp. one that is toxic to organisms, as lead, mercury, copper, and cadmium.
2. aggressive and heavily amplified rock music, commonly performed by groups that wear spectacular or bizarre costumes.

[Origin: 1860–65, for literal sense]

There is no possible way you can say that Slipknot is not a metal band reasonably, whether or not you like them they fall under the definition of metal, especially volume 3 which has spoken words and shredding.

Slipknot is mostly a mix of Hardcore/Grind with Morbid Angel Style Death Metal and Industrial having various influences such as Korn lumped on top of it giving them the misconception of belonging to Nu Metal. The only thing they have in common with Nu Metal is that Corey's lyrical structure is rap style and he occasionally speaks the words rather then singing/growling them. The scratching and turntables as I have explained before have more akin to Industrial then Hip Hop, as does the bands extensive use of sampling and occasional keyboards. They sure as hell are not rock music, drop A and B guitars, distortion, heavy emphassis on percussion, its Brutal Alternative Metal with Korn influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.