Do you consider Zeppelin Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Zep song Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is amazing because thousands of metal songs would use that exact same structure later on down the road. It's not even a metal song but it's one of the most iconic metal song structures.

I have to take it your a music noob... Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You is a Joan Baez cover Zep did. They just did it better then the original.

But anyway, hell no I don't consider Zep metal. A lot of metalheads I know don't even consider them hard rock, just rock. I certainly understand how Zep could be considered metal; it just takes a more liberal view of what is and isn't metal.

Like I tell others what some of these bands did in those days (zep, sabbath, purple, AC/DC etc.) were different and harder then what was out there (Grateful Dead, Stones, David Bowie, Wings etc.). You like pretty much every metalhead 20 and under cannot separate the past and the present. For it's time it was metal. Imagine listening to Casey Jones in 1970 and then all of a sudden you hear Immigrant song. One is day and the other one was certainly night. The love/peace days of the 60's were gone and much "harder" rock with dark themes were the result. A backlash much like the Manson killings and Altamont Stones concert ended the peace/love of the 60's.

But I don't think there's anything metallic about their sound at all. I used to think Immigrant Song was pretty hardcore until I actually started listening to metal. I think there are a handful of Zep songs that could be made into great metal songs, but as it is they certainly aren't there.

Immigrant song was metallic for it's time. Read what i typed just above.

Status
Not open for further replies.