Do you consider Zeppelin Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Among many others ...
If you think the thematic content of The Angel and The Dark River and Tomb Of The Mutilated are in the same galaxy as "When I read the letter that you wrote me / It made me mad, mad, mad" then I think you have some remedial listening to do.

Well Stairway to Heaven is an absolutely terrible attempt at a ballad, and a terrible fucking song.

I don't abhor Led Zeppelin, but I would never listen to them unless it was played at a public place, like it usually is. Some of their songs like Moby Dick and Dazed and Confused are high quality songs; moroever, lots of bands took their ideas that I think were poorly done (most of them), and made them better.

Anyways, Deep Purple - Child in Time absolutely slays anything Led Zeppelin could ever dream about.

Not that this is at all relevant, but I HATE zeppelin. On an olympic level. All that blues based noodling and drugged-out nonsense. Plus their musicianship is most over rated. Tedious, drawn out and ponderous bullshit. The individual ex members also get very VERY annoyed when people claim them to be a metal band, which is quite amusing.

Mind you, the Immigrant song is nice.

This is basically like saying " i hate Metallica but 'Enter Sandman' rules". By the way any band would be annoyed if someone was limiting their music to something that is obviously not what it really was.

On topic: Hard Rock on one of its finest and more varied forms, calling them overrated is a bad joke, stop it.

The opening chord progression and verse in "Stairway to Heaven" are nearly identical to the 1968 instrumental "Taurus" by the group Spirit.[69][70] Led Zeppelin was the opening act for Spirit's 1968 tour,[71] three years before "Stairway To Heaven" was written.

Read the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_zeppelin#Allegations_of_plagiarism
:lol: Wow, that's pretty much total proof of plagiarism in one of the biggest songs in rock music history. I wonder if it was subconscious, they certainly don't seem to have had anything to gain by stealing it given the success of their tonnes of other covers. Was this undiscovered until 1997 as the article suggests of has anyone known of this before then?

I'd actually never heard that about "Stairway", and I've been listening to Zeppelin for a long long time. I've never heard the Spirit song....

Anyways, Deep Purple - Child in Time absolutely slays anything Led Zeppelin could ever dream about.

:lol: And that's ripped off from an It's A Beautiful Day song.

Who cares if Zeppelin ripped off another band? It happens in music all the time. Pantera ripped off Exhorder big-time, but I rarely hear people bitching about that even though Pantera is now considered one of the greatest metal bands of all time by mainstream metalheads and Exhorder went defunct after two albums.

Well...

The opening chord progression and verse in "Stairway to Heaven" are nearly identical to the 1968 instrumental "Taurus" by the group Spirit.[69][70] Led Zeppelin was the opening act for Spirit's 1968 tour,[71] three years before "Stairway To Heaven" was written.

Read the link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_zeppelin#Allegations_of_plagiarism
Maybe so but Zeppelin made Stairway one of the best songs ever. Ask anyone. Its just one of those songs you can never get sick of. The classic rock station in Chicago plays that song a few times a day and I never once turn it off.

Maybe so but Zeppelin made Stairway one of the best songs ever. Ask anyone. Its just one of those songs you can never get sick of. The classic rock station in Chicago plays that song a few times a day and I never once turn it off.

How old are you?

I mean, it's a great song, but just a SMIDGE overplayed....

I consider them Metal. People think they aren't because they sound different than other Metal. Pretty much because they are louder and faster Blues, they don't use as much distortion, and their vocalist doesn't really growl. I wouldn't say its not Metal, I'd say the Metal today is different and people don't consider Zeppelin Metal because they've considered other Metal they've listened to to be the definition of Metal. If you listen to the first Rock song; Rocket 88. You would most likely think it was Jazz if you didn't know better. If you look at it from the point of view today then it would sound a lot softer and different than most Rock. But at the time it was considered loud and crazy and different. And its the same for Metal and Led Zeppelin.

Go to sleep. Just go to sleep.

Who cares if Zeppelin ripped off another band? It happens in music all the time. Pantera ripped off Exhorder big-time, but I rarely hear people bitching about that even though Pantera is now considered one of the greatest metal bands of all time by mainstream metalheads and Exhorder went defunct after two albums.

Same is true with Metallica. I really hate the mainstream metal heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.