Do you consider Zeppelin Metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with pretty much everything written here (Carcassian excepted!) but it should be noted that at the time Led Zeppelin were starting out people labelled them 'heavy metal'. They were, along with Sabbath, the one of the first bands to attract this label. It's interesting now how we have redefined what is metal.

Led Zeppelin really isn't "far from Metal." They're not Metal, but they're not far from it, in fact they're in the direct lineage that led to Metal.

I would consider them classic rock as a whole but yeah they are a huge influence to the fucking heavy metal genre. Some of their songs actually do sound close to metal.

Led Zeppelin wasn't a metal band, but they invented heavy metal. (Look to "Communication Breakdown" on the first one.)

Black Sabbath was the first heavy metal band.

the music doesn't have a dark, aggressive, or gloomy feel like all metal does;

l16635.jpg
:erk:
nightwish2.jpg
4407096+s(468)
Terra Firma :erk:
ogre.jpg

all their songs are about girls.....

MDB.jpg
1414251.jpg
tombofthemutilatedcannibalcorpse_233848599.jpg
celestialsolar_lg.jpg

Among many others ...

I remember hearing somewhere that Zeppelin ripped off a bunch of lesser known bands.

Anyways, by today's standards, no.

Well they obviously borrowed and dabbled with (comparatively) obscure jazz and blues artists, and in fact covered a few songs, but I don't think they've ever denied that. They were, regardless, a groundbreaking band in many ways.

Well they obviously borrowed and dabbled with (comparatively) obscure jazz and blues artists, and in fact covered a few songs, but I don't think they've ever denied that.

More to the point:

Led Zeppelin II's credits have also been the subject of debate since the album's release. The prelude to "Bring It on Home" is a cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Bring it on Home" and drew comparisons with Willie Dixon's "Bring It on Back". "Whole Lotta Love" (sample (info)) shared some lyrics and an overall pattern with Dixon's "You Need Love/Woman You Need Love". In the 1970s, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It on Home" and won an out-of-court settlement.[68] Dixon himself did not benefit until he sued Arc Music to recover his royalties and copyrights. Years later, Dixon filed suit against Led Zeppelin over "Whole Lotta Love" and an out-of-court settlement was reached. Later pressings of Led Zeppelin II credit Dixon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_zeppelin#Allegations_of_plagiarism

Status
Not open for further replies.