the definitive discussioning of genre definitions discussion

I get that. I wasn't mentioning blastbeats to say "blastbeats are metal, therefore any music that uses blastbeats is metal", but rather "blastbeats are not rock, punk is (essentially) rock-based, therefore music that uses blastbeats is not punk". QED.

At the time when grindcore started happening, blastbeats were neither metal or punk, so blastbeats aren't really relevant imo. I think the earlier grindcore material is lumped in with hardcore/punk because of the overall feel of rawness and extremity in the music. Purists therefore label anything grindcore thereafter "not metal", which I don't necessarily agree with btw. I think the amount that death metal and grindcore have influenced each other is enough that grindcore should be regarded as a subgenre of metal these days.

At the time when grindcore started happening, blastbeats were neither metal or punk, so blastbeats aren't really relevant imo. I think the earlier grindcore material is lumped in with hardcore/punk because of the overall feel of rawness and extremity in the music. Purists therefore label anything grindcore thereafter "not metal", which I don't necessarily agree with btw. I think the amount that death metal and grindcore have influenced each other is enough that grindcore should be regarded as a subgenre of metal these days.

If you listen to Immortal there's a lot of fucking blast beats. :headbang: IMO, blast beats are a characteristic in all extreme metal genres. The thing I hate about hardcore (or any 'core' for that matter) is the breakdowns.