Serious genre question (no yuksters)

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
I have a genre question for you all, no crap comments please.

What genre would you all consider bands that are the "popular" Metal for these days, you know, the kind that dominates Headbanger's Ball, the major Metal mags, Ozzfest of past, etc. I know it's mostly the bands a lot of you all hate and can't stand, but if you had to throw it into a genre what would it be?

Bands like: Unearth, Diecast, God Forbid, Lamb of God, Norma Jean, Mudvayne, Underoath, Cradle of Filth, Atreyu, Drowning Pool, Korn - you get the idea - actually a couple of those may not even belong in that list but...

Reason I ask is I was thikning of starting a sister site to Ultimate Metal to cover all that stuff since there seems to be some folks coming to this site into that lately.

Again, no jerkwad answers please.

Unearth - Metalcore
Diecast - Don't know
God Forbid - Metalcore
Lamb of God - Metalcore
Norma Jean - Hardcore
Mudvayne - Nu-metal
Underoath - Hardcore
Cradle of Filth - Gothic Metal
Atreyu - Hardcore
Drowning Pool - Don't know, just rock?
Korn - nu-metal

:D

^^^
close

norma jean and atreyu are defintely metalcore/screamo stuff. diecast would prolly fit under hardcore/metalcore. and drowning pool is nu metal
~gR~

^^^
close

norma jean and atreyu are defintely metalcore/screamo stuff. diecast would prolly fit under hardcore/metalcore. and drowning pool is nu metal
~gR~

Norma Jean and Atreyu have nothing to do with screamo, and Norma Jean are perhaps I would let metalcore slide but Atreyu I don't know that I would call them metalcore.

As for Drowning Pool I've not listened to them in YEARS so I can't even begin to comment on their genre, but yeh after listening to them Nu-metal works.

Metalcore is vastly different from grindcore which is very distinctly different from hardcore ... and mallcore is just a different name for nu-metal.

I would say most of those bands can be called "Pop metal" or "numetal" other than Lamb of God, God Forbid and Unearth, which I would describe as Melodic Metalcore, I guess....

Basically, most of the popular metal like that these days I would consider nu metal, metalcore, post hardcore, etc.

Well metalcore, nu-metal, etc. seem to the most accurate descriptions of the bands you mentioned, but I suppose those terms might come off as "negative" to some fans. I suppose if I was going to create a site for fans of those acts, I might just use the term "hard rock", even those it doesn't really seem all that accurate.

However, I don't really see why you'd feel the need to create a site for these bands. As you said, they're in the mainstream, so I don't think there's anything new you could offer to those fans.

Metalcore isn't negative
sick.gif