Serious genre question (no yuksters)

I hope that's a joke, otherwise it's one of the more moronic statements I've seen in quite a while around here.

To answer your question, personally, I like all styles of music/metal - I'm not close minded when it comes to genres whether it be within Metal or other styles like pop, country, soundtracks, etc. Not saying I like any and all artists from every genre out there (do not like most rap/hip hop), but I have broad musical tastes in general.

Given that, I would enjoy starting up and running a forum for that style as well to go along with 4-5 other "Ultimate" sites I will be launching in the near future.

I'm not saying its bad to have a broad taste in music, personally I enjoy other genres besides metal as well, but all those bands you listed are rubbish regardless of genre. Of course the average MTV teen wouldn't have a wide enough knowledge base to know the difference anyways so I guess if you don't mind taking advantage of their limited tastes for your profit it's all fair game.

I'm not saying its bad to have a broad taste in music, personally I enjoy other genres besides metal as well, but all those bands you listed are rubbish regardless of genre. Of course the average MTV teen wouldn't have a wide enough knowledge base to know the difference anyways so I guess if you don't mind taking advantage of their limited tastes for your profit it's all fair game.

They're rubbish to you and your personal tastes, and that's fine, but your tastes don't speak for everyone and that's what you don't seem to understand, or care to understand.

I never have and never will get folks like you (no offense, stating an observation) who think their musical preferences are the be all end all and anyone who dares like something that falls into your "shit" category becomes a target to you. The fan base for those bands are more than teen based. Yeah, a lot of teens who are into Metal start with those bands these days because that's all they have access to with the store shelf mass magazines, MTV, Fuse or what have you. That's changing with this whole Intraweb thang since more kids are starting here now, but it will take a bit of time.

Anyways, it has nothing to do with taking advantage for profit like you seem to have stuck in your mind. I'll tell you rght now, between server/software costs, time spent admining, etc. vs. the ad/forum income that comes in - I'm lucky if I could say I am making minimum wage! I do this for way more than "the money" otherwise I would have bailed on it long ago.

They're rubbish to you and your personal tastes, and that's fine, but your tastes don't speak for everyone and that's what you don't seem to understand, or care to understand.

Of course I don't speak for everyone but, in my opinion, by opening a site just supporting these mainstream commodity driven acts you are simply perpetuating the problem of limiting people's tastes to solely what major labels are offering these days. Thus when the average teen weened on MTV comes across your proposed page he/she is only faced with what they already know; and with no one to challenge their ill perceived notions of what is 'good music' they will never be able to release themselves from being a cog in the machine of major record labels.

Basically, I am merely critiquing your notion that 'innocent' taste is harmless. I simply disagree and think time could be spent more wisely trying to challenge these ideals rather than supporting them.

Of course, that completely fails to take into consideration the different ways that people listen to and value music, but whatever.

I have a genre question for you all, no crap comments please.

What genre would you all consider bands that are the "popular" Metal for these days, you know, the kind that dominates Headbanger's Ball, the major Metal mags, Ozzfest of past, etc. I know it's mostly the bands a lot of you all hate and can't stand, but if you had to throw it into a genre what would it be?

Bands like: Unearth, Diecast, God Forbid, Lamb of God, Norma Jean, Mudvayne, Underoath, Cradle of Filth, Atreyu, Drowning Pool, Korn - you get the idea - actually a couple of those may not even belong in that list but...

Reason I ask is I was thikning of starting a sister site to Ultimate Metal to cover all that stuff since there seems to be some folks coming to this site into that lately.

Again, no jerkwad answers please.

why would you let those kind of people into UM in the first place?

I never have and never will get folks like you (no offense, stating an observation) who think their musical preferences are the be all end all and anyone who dares like something that falls into your "shit" category becomes a target to you.

Agreed. I would give you rep if we still had it.

Of course I don't speak for everyone but, in my opinion, by opening a site just supporting these mainstream commodity driven acts you are simply perpetuating the problem of limiting people's tastes to solely what major labels are offering these days. Thus when the average teen weened on MTV comes across your proposed page he/she is only faced with what they already know; and with no one to challenge their ill perceived notions of what is 'good music' they will never be able to release themselves from being a cog in the machine of major record labels.

Basically, I am merely critiquing your notion that 'innocent' taste is harmless. I simply disagree and think time could be spent more wisely trying to challenge these ideals rather than supporting them.

The whole point for starting such a site is not to solve a "problem" per se, but just to offer more dude :) - You view people who listen to that "rubbish" as having a "problem" and it being "harmful" to them to listen to that style of music in the first place, a problem they need to have fixed, but it's merely another related genre of music that many people like, plain and simple. I don't view the fact that someone listening to that style is somehow uneducated in metal music and would have some sort of epiphany once they hear Opeth, Malice, Priest, Warning, Entombed or whomever some of us may enjoy.

Heck, the guy who got me into Metal back in the early 80s, and whom I listened and discovered bands like Fifth Angel, Heathen, Grim Reaper, Toxik, Malice, you friggin name it - he listens to that "rubbish" now and it's just the style he enjoys more than anything else. Seems boggling I know!

Different strokes for different folks.

Besides, but having these as sister sites, they would be interlinked in the header to one another so fans of one site would be exposed to the other.

I'm sorry but

Unearth
DieCast
God Forbid

They are not rubbish.

why would you let those kind of people into UM in the first place?

As much as I didn't want to get baited by your reply...

That's the exact kind of attitude that is spawning the idea of a sister site. You don't have the courtesy to let other people express their love of those kind of bands because they aren't bands you consider to be good.

You view people who listen to that "rubbish" as having a "problem" and it being "harmful" to them to listen to that style of music in the first place, a problem they need to have fixed

dude, didnt you get the memo? bands like korn are harmfull. they make kids kill themselves.

popular metal is like christianity, it should be wiped out by a bunch of crazy norwegians.
~gR~

Will you shut up. You are not funny.

Just because you think the bands suck, boo hoo. They could think the same about our music. And of course, your reply would be "but our music is actually good". Yeah, well they could say the same. I don't like the music, but if they like it good for them. Go ahead and make a sister site.

edit- ~~AsTrUm~~

i dont think the way you are going about this is the right idea. id be betting most of the uninformed masses that listen to those sorts of bands would just consider them "metal" anyway and are likely to start dividing them up into a few fairly broad genres (eg considering something like god forbid "thrash"). perhaps there is the occasional acknowledgement that bands are "metalcore" or whatever, but not en masse.

my point? i dont think there will be people out there searching for "metalcore" (or whatever you end up calling it) forums. i think it would be about starting a "metal" site which has a culture of discussing those bands, more than anything else.

i dont think the way you are going about this is the right idea. id be betting most of the uninformed masses that listen to those sorts of bands would just consider them "metal" anyway and are likely to start dividing them up into a few fairly broad genres (eg considering something like god forbid "thrash"). perhaps there is the occasional acknowledgement that bands are "metalcore" or whatever, but not en masse.

my point? i dont think there will be people out there searching for "metalcore" (or whatever you end up calling it) forums. i think it would be about starting a "metal" site which has a culture of discussing those bands, more than anything else.

well, i think he's making a entire new site. and well ultimatemetal.com is allready taken, so i imagine the site would be called somthing else. so with that said, they wouldnt have false beliefs that their music is metal if the site doesnt say its metal. /serious
~gR~

Actually, that does make sense. There aren't many people that consider themselves metalcore fans. Or at least that I have met.

well, ive often seen the term metalcore used in mainstream media to describe bands. so im lead to believe that fans of the genre are probably aware of its existance. nu metal on the other hand, im not so sure
~gR~