Soo...a genre question

I think the context was sufficiently distant enough to the addressed Nazi/Hitler comparison to make it valid, because it was more referencing a Holocaust survivor to being with. I could have just as easily replaced the analogy with a vicitm of the Kosovo bombings in the mid-90s analyzing Bill Clinton's technical proficiency on the saxophone. :rolleyes: [/not actually taking this seriously, just procrastinating school work]

Carcassian said:
Fuck me, you make a couple of (humour intended) comments (complete with smilies), and end up in a fucking bitch fest. What is it with you people taking everything so seriously ? Sheesh...

Sadly, there are times when '[/joke]' tags are nesessary. :(

Devy_Metal said:
What? The band got/is getting a major push after resigning with CM and putting out their last record. Opening for Disturbed is a way for them to get more exposure. I think it will be cool to see them blow Disturbed off the stage every night and I'm confident they arent about to release a pile of shit like In Flames did after touring with Slipknot.

And Steve wrote 3 songs because the majority of it was already written to begin with. He has written songs for other bands like Testament and Dragonlord, and look for him to be even more involved with the next album.

And, I highly doubt that Nevermore got to "choose" Dirturbed to bring on the road with them. They were most likely offered the spot and grabbed it because they'll be playing for larger crowds.

I can't tell by your post if you're a Nevermore fan, but if you are I wouldnt worry about the band touring with shitty Disturbed or releasing a bland album next time.

If you're playing metal to gain exposure maybe you're playing the wrong music. I really doubt touring with disturbed is going to give them a tremendous push in exposure. If exposer is what the band wants at this point they should think about reinventing themselves. The bands last three cds have been in the same vain. How is the band suppose to tread new ground or get more noticed. Something about the band is not accibible enough to people... even though so say me or others the band is very accicible. If you're not going to change already having a solid fanbase you might aswell just say this is as far as we're going instead of opening for shitty bands that have not been around nearly as long this far into your carrer,etc..

A little % of people going to see disturbed are going to get into band anyways. It's not like 50 or even 80% of Disturbed fans are going to go buy this godless endeavor. Those people no nothing about metal or nevermore and that band still is just anoter opening band to their favorite band. When I see morbid angel regardless if a sem-big band opens i'm not going to care because i'm going to see the headliners. If I knew less about metal might not even realize that opening band is even somewhat significant. There will not be as many metelheads as disturbed fans/mallgoths,etc.. at these gigs.

haha I'm making a serious post(trying to edit it) thanks for fucking it up more!.

I have to revisit that art subject, can't resist.

Artist options:

Option 1) Make a living doing what you love and be able to pay bills, food on the table other than the cheap canned/bagged variety, etc. All the time spent writing/recording (insert art related task here) is actually rewarded back to you in the form of making a living from it.

Option 2) Spend all that time writing/recording (insert art related task here) and earn enough to be able to do it again (maybe), but staying with the day job (possibly night job as well) that you don't necessarily like or enjoy, but hey, it's a job.

Any "artist" that says he/she would take option 2 is FULL OF SHIT or eccentric to the point of being a nut case.

Do you know if Sentenced sold more than Nevermore ?.

What about bands like amorphis,therion. I'm just curious how drastically the sales changed when all three stopped playing death metal. Also does Dark Tranquility sell more than Nevermore.

How do people figure it out. I've only seen a sound scan for the top 6 selling death metal bands/albums. I would like to know more about what bands are selling,etc..

The Greys said:
Do you know if Sentenced sold more than Nevermore ?

What about bands like amorphis,therion. I'm just curious how drastically the sales changed when all three stopped playing death metal.

How do people figure it out. I've only seen a sound scan for the top 6 selling death metal bands/albums. I would like to know more about what bands are selling,etc..

I did a great interview with Therion for last year ProgPower program and I asked him this exact question. I need to go back and pull the numbers he said they sell (I am thinking it was 70-100k wordwide?). It is more than earlier in their career. He makes a living from it (nothing crazy extravagant but he can buy things he likes he said) and their break even point was about 50,000 albums sold.

Im going by the simple idea that Disturbed plays to on average 5000 people a night, while Nevermore plays to approximately 1500 average, if they headline.

That is 3500 more people per night that will hear their music. Whether or not they buy the CD that night or two weeks later doesn't matter. Word of mouth is another big way to get exposure. I dont know how many records bands like Dark Tranquility have sold in comparison to Nevermore, but I know that with every record Nevermore has put out, it has sold better than the last one.

I think reinventing themselves would be the worst thing they could do at this point. They just got Steve Smyth as an official permanent member of the band and can work on making metal records with a dual guitar attack that will appeal to that segment of metal fans; the ones who like to hear fun and great guitar work with cool riffs and solos minus any major electronic effects and jump up and down metal.

I think the biggest problem the band has had, concerning exposure would be the inconsistencies they have had with their lineup, both live and on record. Tim Calvert, Pat O'Brien, Curran Murphy, Steve Smyth have all played with the band over the past years which has caused confusion on who is actually in the band. They have also concentrated on Europe rather than the USA much more when it comes to touring and press. In Fact, Nevermore are rather big in Europe, especially contries like Greece, Italy and other west European nations. Their UK fanbase is strong around London, but weak in the midlands....but then again, does anyone live in northern england anyway?

So, I think they're doing all right.

MetalAges said:
I have to revisit that art subject, can't resist.

Artist options:

Option 1) Make a living doing what you love and be able to pay bills, food on the table other than the cheap canned/bagged variety, etc. All the time spent writing/recording (insert art related task here) is actually rewarded back to you in the form of making a living from it.

Option 2) Spend all that time writing/recording (insert art related task here) and earn enough to be able to do it again (maybe), but staying with the day job (possibly night job as well) that you don't necessarily like or enjoy, but hey, it's a job.

Any "artist" that says he/she would take option 2 is FULL OF SHIT or eccentric to the point of being a nut case.

Hmmm...except that (maybe in my experience), once ANYTHING becomes your day job, it becomes your day job. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job and write reviews on the side, but if I actually had to write enough reviews to actually put food on my table? That would fucking suck. I sometimes wonder if this is the reason why (generally) once a band makes it "big" enough to retire from the real working world (i.e. the music world becomes their primary source of income) that they start to make bland, bored sounding music...

Just a thought. Of course, I'd love for a lot of people I have a ton of respect for to be able to earn a decent living from recording music I love, but I suspect that just isn't ever going to happen...

Carcassian said:
I sometimes wonder if this is the reason why (generally) once a band makes it "big" enough to retire from the real working world (i.e. the music world becomes their primary source of income) that they start to make bland, bored sounding music...

It is.

Erik said:
GREAT post that absolutely NAILS it

i mean it's theoretically possible for a band to live off their music and still be honest in their art, but in real life it just ain't happening in 95% of the cases because true art & inspiration are such fickle things

having pressure from record company (release album every year, it's in the contract = being FORCED to write music even when there's no inspiration or any things to communicate) & fans (must make a record the fans like & will buy -- else no food on table) = shit music

Agreed - and that, in a nutshell is why underground or relatively underground/poorly paid bands tend to produce the best music - because they are fuelled by inspiration and music for musics sake, and not as a means to put food on the table or coke on the mirror.

Erik said:
ace

thanks for being one of the few persons on this generally hopeless board to actually make some sense

p.s. regardless of the above i still like iron maiden... fucking hypocrite

P.S. Me too. :lol: That's why I always put "generally" - it's a cowards get out clause