Soo...a genre question

IOfTheStorm said:
Not really. When Queensryche's "Rage For Order" and Fates Warning's "Perfect Symmetry" were released, i doubt that people instantly acknowledged a new genre called "progressive metal".

Did I say they were instantly recognized? I'm pretty sure I didn't. The ideas that they established gradually gain influence as something entirely different from what has been done before, and eventually people start to realize that certain bands started something entirely distinct from the rest when the branch has come so extended from the rest of the tree that it can no longer be called the same as the trunk.

MetalAges said:
Have you even HEARD the NEW Disturbed album? Comparing it to Korn, and Korn being more Metal?! Please dude, puh-leez.

EDIT: By the way folks, let's not let this fall into an "my opinion is more elite than yours so you don't know jack, get out!" kinda thread. Give your opinion and back it up with an explanation at least.[/QUOTE]

Excellent reply.

Thanks.

Dodens Grav said:
Did I say they were instantly recognized? I'm pretty sure I didn't.
But you said "if you're Metal, you're going to fall into a subgenre by default". I just mentioned 2 albums that didn't do that for many years after their release. So they were not metal until they were put into the
"progressive metal" subgenre?
Disturbed's possible sub-genre is not instantly recognized too, there might be a new one created in few years, as it happened with many bands in the past that created a new genre (or were "unidentified" at their time).
Anyway i'm not even a Disturbed fan, i just like them a lot and i think that they are metal to the bone, if they had an old school production everyone in this board would praise them. Their riffs are totally power/thrash, they have their roots in metal ONLY, played in a metal way etc etc etc. And of course they have no common element with Korn, as MetalAges said.

EDIT: Of course i'm mainly talking about "Ten Thousand Fists"

True but I will say this band is definitley heading in a more metal direction
than there previous efforts rumour has it they were a classic metal
band before they were signed. But they still have a long way to go IMHO.

IOfTheStorm said:
But you said "if you're Metal, you're going to fall into a subgenre by default". I just mentioned 2 albums that didn't do that for many years after their release. So they were not metal until they were put into the
"progressive metal" subgenre?

No, because genres were not distinct in the 80's they would have just most likely been called Heavy Metal. I'm not familiar with either of the albums you mentioned, but I believe both of them no longer play Metal, so I don't know if your examples would even be considered Metal.

Devy_Metal said:
The only thing Disturbed and Nevermore have in common is that the latter is opening for them in the UK in September. That is all.

I think they're both shit; that would be two things in common now :)

Ok, I listened to this to give it a fair shot.

Yes, they're more melodic than what I remember from them. But the guy's voice still sucks, and the guitar work is still VERY nu-metalish. Who the hell compared them to Nevermore...the asshole above me? You think these guys could touch Loomis or Smyth in playing or songwriting? Not a chance.

And this is the most radio-friendly hardrock/nu-metal I've heard in a long time. Definitely not my definition of "metal."

Devy_Metal said:
Ya, but your opinion doesn't mean shit to anyone on here so why even bother?

I am just aspiring to the same level of musical appreciation as the heavyweights in here. Please forgive me ,humourless one :cry:

It's not your "special" time of the month is it ?

Fuck me, you make a couple of (humour intended) comments (complete with smilies), and end up in a fucking bitch fest. What is it with you people taking everything so seriously ? Sheesh...

i like disturbed, their new cd is good. they used to be my favorite band but now they are just a band i like. i would not classify them as metal though. they are def. hard rock, among the likes of shinedown, godsmack, and chevelle.

Nevermore must be desperate for cash opening for a nu-metal band that formed way later. Warrel Dane has been in metal since the 80's starting with Sanctuary. How could him or the band stomach opening for disturbed.

Steve Symths song writing. Did he write one song on the new nevermore & a few solos..... WOW

It's sad a bigger band like Nevermore would not take out a great metal band that could use some recognition. I know if my band was signed to century media for 10 years I would not tour or open for disturbed. I would be like fuck you guys you suck. I'd tell the Disturbed guitarist to get some lessons...