Soo...a genre question

madu said:
What do you think of the subgenre "modern metal"? I was listening to Misery Inc. and couldn't really think what else it should be classified.. not really heavy metal, not really melo-death, not any -core either.

Anyways, this song 'Guarded' doesn't sound like I expect nu-metal to sound like. Not my kind of music by any means, but if someone played this song and I had to classify it, I'd put it as heavy metal instead of nu-metal or hardrock.

Modern Metal - I quite like that.

madu said:
What do you think of the subgenre "modern metal"? I was listening to Misery Inc. and couldn't really think what else it should be classified.. not really heavy metal, not really melo-death, not any -core either.

Misery Inc. are rock-influenced metal of some sort, a-la Soilwork's Figure Number Five.

"Modern metal" is misleading, though...it works on a base level, but once you realize there are plenty of modern bands that don't fit in this categorization, it falls apart immediately. Also Misery Inc. demonstrate far more metal influence than Disturbed (non-linear structuring, vocal tradeoffs, complex harmonization, etc.), so I don't think they can really be compared. Random End is a great CD though, even if some tracks are better than others! It's probably in my top 20 of this year right now...

some dumbass said:
Absolute bloody nonsense. Were the trail blazers non-metal until someone decided to name a new sub-genre? Not calling Disturbed a trail-blazer, but they definatly are metal.

What the fuck? Irrelevant as hell. We're talking an already established sub-genre of metal; you're just wandering off into nothingness. Talk about nonsense.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
What the fuck? Irrelevant as hell. We're talking an already established sub-genre of metal; you're just wandering off into nothingness. Talk about nonsense.

?

It made sense to me. You said either sungenre of metal or not metal, and I disagreed. If you want me to, I can talk about nonsense. Nonsense owns :kickass:

Well obviously if you're Metal, you're going to fall into a subgenre by default. Disturbed is not Metal. Korn is more Metal.

So, back to my original point that was misunderstood, what about the great bands that helped pioneer new subgenres of metal. Were they considered non-metal bands until some guy decided to name a genre to describe them? And what about bands that fuse/go between sub-genres? Subgenres are handy, but they shouldn't restrict bands. They are just either descriptions or scenes.

Nevermore are a modern take on heavy/power/thrash metal, it seems to me. I have been trying to classify them for a while, too...they are kind of stumping because on one hand you have a lot of thrash-y old school parts, but a lot of slower, chuggy, groove/mosh parts with heavy double bass and hi-hat interplay...it's weird.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Nevermore are a modern take on heavy/power/thrash metal, it seems to me. I have been trying to classify them for a while, too...they are kind of stumping because on one hand you have a lot of thrash-y old school parts, but a lot of slower, chuggy, groove/mosh parts with heavy double bass and hi-hat interplay...it's weird.
Nevermore were just an example..there is a huge doze of 100% metal bands (and mostly just "albums") that are "undefined" when it comes to their genre.

Name 'em! I guarantee I can at least give you an outline (if I know of 'em that is)...

Also...

IOfTheStorm said:
Not really. When Queensryche's "Rage For Order" and Fates Warning's "Perfect Symmetry" were released, i doubt that people instantly acknowledged a new genre called "progressive metal".

No fucking shit. Genres develop over time.

No shit, but it's at least a start. Not my fault you can't listen to shit and figure it out yourself what influence and expressions it uses to place it into a genre.

Dodens Grav said:
Well obviously if you're Metal, you're going to fall into a subgenre by default. Disturbed is not Metal. Korn is more Metal.

Have you even HEARD the NEW Disturbed album? Comparing it to Korn, and Korn being more Metal?! Please dude, puh-leez.

EDIT: By the way folks, let's not let this fall into an "my opinion is more elite than yours so you don't know jack, get out!" kinda thread. Give your opinion and back it up with an explanation at least.