Your MP3 Player... a silly genre question...

I have 29

Acapella - Van Canto
Alternative - Faith No More, Offspring, Secret Chiefs 3, etc..
Black Metal - Self Explanatory
Blues - Aerosmith
Cello Metal - Apocalyptica
Death Metal - Self Explanatory
Doom Metal - Self Explanatory
Electronic/Industrial - KMFDM, MDFMK, etc...
Gothic Metal - To/Die/For, etc...
Guitar Wankery - Freak Kitchen, Freak Guitar, Jeff Loomis, etc...
Hard Rock - Sebastian Bach, Skid Row, etc...
Heavy Metal - Accept, Black Sabbath, etc...
Industrial Metal - Ministry, etc...
Melodic Death Metal - Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquility, etc...
Metal - Basically every kind of metal that doesn't fit in one of my other genres (Dethklok, Destroy Destroy Destroy, BLS, etc...)
Metal/Punk - Impaler, etc...
NWOBHM - Def Leppard, Angel Witch, Diamond Head, etc...
Power Metal - Self Explanatory
Primus - They don't fit in any other category
Progressive Death Metal - Mercenary, Orphaned Land, Opeth, etc...
Progressive Metal - Conception, etc...
Progressive Power Metal - Angel Dust, Biomechanical, etc...
Progressive Rock - Rush, etc...
Rock - Journey, Pink Floyd, etc...
Rockabilly - Big John Bates
Soundtrack - Self Explanatory
Thrash Metal - Self Explanatory
Uh... - Random stuff that doesn't fit any other genre
Viking/Pagan Metal - Moonsorrow, etc...

I don't have an iPod, but just for shits and giggles I decided to look at the genres in my Windows Media Player. I actually removed a lot of music from in the last few months since it was taking up so much space on my hard drive, but there's still a good amount on there (and most of it was in genres where it didn't belong). I never really went through and classified much, although I did make my own genre for female fronted metal and rock since I own and research so much of it, but for the most part the genres below are basically whatever WMP automatically pulled from the internet when loading the info on each CD (which can rarely be trusted).

Just looking through to make this list of genres, I realized how badly my genres need to be cleaned up/re-sorted in my player. I usually just listen to CDs from my collection, so I shouldn't really worry about this, but I still ended up sorting through and re-classifying a few things before I posted this because I'm OCD like that. :loco: :lol: :rolleyes:

Here's what genres I now have left:
Acoustic - only thing in here is 2 Megadeth unplugged bootlegs (that I haven't listened to yet)
Alternative - Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots
Female Fronted Metal - After Forever, Benedictum, Edenbridge, Lullacry, Oratory, Triosphere, Within Temptation
Female Fronted Rock - Heart, Joan Jett, Lana Lane, Lita Ford, Pat Benatar, Stevie Nicks, Vixen
Glam Metal - Bon Jovi/Jon Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Kiss, Motely Crue, Poison, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Warrant
Holiday - Christmas stuff (including some TSO) and some patriotic music
Metal - Dio, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Metallica, Primal Fear, Queensryche, Rage, Savatage, Saxon
Motown - a Motown compilation
Pop - one Blessed Union of Souls track (a Beatles cover)
Power Metal - Alestorm, Dream Evil, Edguy, Kamelot, Rhapsody, Saint Deamon
Progressive Metal - Dream Theater, Green Carnation, In Extremo (?), Pagan's Mind
Punk - The Independents, The Misfits, The Ramones
Rock - Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen, Cheap Trick, Foreigner, Gotthard, Meatloaf, Pink Floyd, Rush
Soul and R&B - The Temptations
Soundtrack - Airheads, Almost Famous, Death Proof, Hairspray, and a lot of Disney :lol:

15 genres ... that's after I did some cleaning and it could still use a lot of work.

I'm guilty of having a ridiculous number of genres and sub-genres in my itunes/ipod. Right now I have 99 genres for about 6,000 songs. I could probably consolidate some of them so that I don't have 5+ different genres for Symphonic, Folk, Gothic etc..

e.g. Symphonic Extreme Power Metal
Symphonic Gothic Metal
Symphonic Metal
Symphonic Power Metal
Symphonic Viking/Folk Metal
Symphonic/Melodic Metal
This sounds like what DemonOfTheWoods' iPod would look like if he had one. :lol: I laugh so hard every time I hear him talk to someone about Forest Metal, or Elf Metal, or Mammoth Metal, or some other nonsensical subgenre that he knows only a handful bands will fit into.
Amience- Beto Vazquez Infinity, Edenbridge, Within Temptation etc.
Did you mean Ambiance? (... just curious about the classification)

I try to keep things as general as possible:

Black Metal
Death Metal
Doom Metal
Folk Metal
Gothic Metal
Heavy Metal
Pop (Shaddup!)
Power Metal
Progressive Metal
Punk
Rock
Ska
Soundtrack
Thrash Metal

To answer your question, my MP3 player mainly consist of power metal (Grave Digger, Hibria, Power Quest), Doom (Candlemass, Trouble) and what I refer to as "True Metal" (Wolf, Nevermore, Dio).

~Brian~

Sorry, but I have to cut in here.
Nevermore are not true metal, if by true metal you mean metal that is traditional in nature.

They to me incorporate thrash with their own brand of riffing, known to many as the "Never-chug"

Not meant to be a rip in Nevermore at all, as I personally love the Dead Heart in a Dead World disc. I just can't classify them as true metal.

I try to keep mine fairly general - I've got 13 genres.

Thrash Metal (Death, COB)
Symphonic Metal (Tristania, Therion, Sirenia, Epica, AF)
Soundtrack (La Femme Nikita)
Rock (Van Halen, DMB, MCR, Maiden, Genesis)
R&B (Alicia Keys)
Progressive Rock (Poverty's No Crime, Porcupine Tree)
Progressive Metal (WT, Katatonia, Seventh Wonder, Sym X, Riverside, QR)
Power Metal (Thy Majestie, Twilightning, SA, PQ, Edguy)
Pop (Celine Dion, Elton John, George Michael)
Metal (ZZ Top, Malmsteen, Whitesnake, WASP, XYZ, Slayer)
Melodic Rock (Jeff Scott Soto, Jaded Heart, Baton Rouge
Death Metal (Dimmu)
Blues

This thread inspired me to clean up my genre tags once and for all. I came up with 82 genres for 553 artists, and that wasn't being very specific. The only I don't have is "Country" :loco:

The problem with this is, sometimes the people who tag them have quite the sense of humor. I've seen Death Metal labeled as Easy Listening and Black Metal labeled as Pop.

Zod

Yep that's what happened to me...mislabeled genres and I actually have a genre called "Aooaia," whatever the hell that is. :lol:

I don't care enough to change it though...I just go to Artists, Playlists, or Cover Flow.

Did you mean Ambiance? (... just curious about the classification)
Yes. My typo. I fixed it. Thanks.

Wouldn't Within Temptation really fall into gothic?
Arguably, yes. I wouldn't debate it either way if someone classified them that way. To me in it's purest form Ambiance = Gothic Lite. Most of Within Temptation's songs lack the edginess, or to steal a Pellaz term "crunchiness," of most Gothic Metal. If one were to combine their hardest songs from all of their albums the result would be one Gothic Metal album and the rest Ambiance.

That said, this thread shouldn't degenerate into another meaningless genre debate. Reading through the posts there are several that raise my eyebrows, but who cares? The point of the thread was how far people take the genre classifications.

Urban's list looks as basic as you can get. I'd bet dcowboys311 has about 107 genres, broken down into 428 sub-genres. Either way works.

OK... so the whole Crust, Crustcore, War Crust sub-genre madness got me wondering... how deep does the rabbit hole go and how deep do most people follow it? So... on your iPod/MP3 player, assuming you take the time to classify things by genre, how many different genres do you have? For me...
My iPod has an insane variety on it because it's the one we bring of family trips... (lots of stuff for my wife too) So, in comparison:
Alternative - basically just Alice in Chains and a couple of comp albums
Black Metal - Black Metal Beach Party!, Dragonlord, Emporer, The Kovenant, Therion & Mercyful Fate (filed for lyrical content)
Blues - crazy variety, SRV, Chris Thomas King, Lead Belly, and Joe Bonamassa
Celtic - Tempest
Classic Rock - Boston, CCR, ELP, Kansas,Zep, Queen, The Who
Comedy - My favorite standup stuff, Beatallica, Richard Cheese, The Muppets, The Smothers Brothers, Weird Al, and the Capitol Steps
Country - only Johnny Cash
Death Metal
Doom Metal
Folk Thrash - Skyclad gets their own genre
Fusion
Gothic Metal
Hard Rock - Aerosmith, Damn Yankees, Lillian Axe, Mr. Big, Talas, Van Halen
Heavy Metal - flipped from Zod, this is the classics, Maiden, Accept, Armored Saint, Sabbath, Cirith Ungol, Priest, King Diamond, Leatherwolf, Metal Church, Ozzy, etc...
Industrial - I don't get it but my wife loves it.
Instrumental Metal - Stride, Randy Ellefson Band, Jeff Loomis, Ron Jarzombek, LTE, Ohm
Jazz - Josephine Baker, Ella Fitzgerald, Tommy Dorsey, Herbie Hancock, Spike Jones, Glenn Miller, Woody Herman, and Victor Wooten
Melancholic Power Metal - Sentenced later stuff
Melodic Death
Metal - Everything too genre confused to be classified and comp albums that span metal genres
Metalcore
Neoclassical Metal - Yngwie and Vitalij Kuprij
Power Metal
Primus - Where else to put these guys? I laughed when I saw CDEx had a seperate genre for them.
Prog Death
Prog Doom
Prog Metal
Prog Punk - Voivod
Prog Rock
Psychobilly
Punk Rock
Rock
Soundtracks
Speed Metal
Swing
Tech Death
& Thrash

\m/
RonCK

I don't apply genres to my music, but when I rip my CDs, if I see one that is obviously wrong I will correct it. Here's my list though.

70s rock
Accoustic
Alternative rock
Blues
Celtic
Christian rock - Amy Grant
Classic rock
Classical
Contemporary christian music – more Amy Grant
Country
Death metal
Doom metal
Ethnic metal
Folk rock
Gothic metal
Gothic rock
Grunge
Guitar rock
Hard rock
Heavy metal
Indie (That's a genre?)
Instrumental rock
Irish
Jazz
Melodic death metal
Melodic rock
Mercurial metal (LOL)
Newage
Oldies
Opera
Other
Pop
Pop rock
Power metal
Prog metal
Prog rock
Psychedelic rock
R&b
Rock
Soundtrack
Southern rock
Speed metal
Swing
Symphonic black metal
Symphonic metal
Symphonic rock

I'd bet dcowboys311 has about 107 genres, broken down into 428 sub-genres.

:lol:

You're probably not too far off. I don't have my iPod with me right now and I'm not at my house so I can't pull up Winamp, but I have genres ranging from alt-country and melodic hardcore to black/thrash and triphop. MP3 tagging gives me something to do when I want to take a break from schoolwork haha.

Ipod??? MP3????
Whatever happened to plain old CD's?
My 550 Cd changer is set up in different categories
1. 70's/hippie...Led Zep,Faces/Black Crowes etc...
2. Prog...Fates/POS/Dream Theater?Zero Hour etc...
3. Bluesy rock...Badlands,Wiser Time,Silvertide,Great White etc..
4. 80's hair
5. Oldies...Beatles , Doors , Janis Joplin , Hendrix etc...
6. Heavy...Helstar , Savatage , Vicious Rumors
7. All others
8. New cds that haven't found a home

Disc player 2 has all of my bootleg and burned stuff,so its mostly Black Crowes soundboard and Ian Moore acoustic shows with some scattered classic bootlegs,like Ray Gillen Cry of Love live Black Crowes studio sessions etc...

Ipod...lol

I keep mine simple, I have about 80gb of stuff on my iPod.

Metal
Industrial
Electronica/Dance
Rock
Pop
R&B
Jazz

That's it..........Slayer gets classified the same as Motley Crue, both are metal to me. I just always check to make sure when I rip the disc that it's being classified as the correct genre. Like someone mentioned sometimes a Metal band can be labeled as Rock or Industrial or something like that.

Sorry, but I have to cut in here.
Nevermore are not true metal, if by true metal you mean metal that is traditional in nature.

They to me incorporate thrash with their own brand of riffing, known to many as the "Never-chug"

Not meant to be a rip in Nevermore at all, as I personally love the Dead Heart in a Dead World disc. I just can't classify them as true metal.

Agreed. I've always classified them as heavy/power...(and DHIADW is in my top 10 albums of all time)...as far as this thread goes, I don't even own an IPOD, but I do have every cd I own classified in a HUGE excel spreadsheet accompanied by many details (yr. of release, country of origin, what issue the disc is I own, etc...) including genre. There's about 70 or 80 different genres that I have mine broken down into. I get more detailed, for example, just for Death metal styles I use: Swedish Death, Brutal Death, Florida Death, Doom/Death, Black/Death, Melodic Death, etc.