Death Metal: Love it or Hate it?

David N.

New Metal Member
Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
From reading some of the comments posted in the forum I've noticed that some of you seem to look down upon Death Metal. Why is that? I'm a long time Metal fan ( since 1981), and I enjoy many different genres of Metal, especially Death Metal (Hell, I used to go to Morbid Angel's rehearsals before they ever got signed), but I also enjoy Progressive and Power Metal as well. This past weekend at PP4 I saw some of the best performances by ANY band in ANY genre that I've ever witnessed in my life! The point I'm trying to make is that there are a lot of good Metal bands out there, whether it be Prog Metal, Power Metal, Death Metal, or Black Metal. I keep an open mind when listening to Metal. Maybe some of you should do the same.

I also love all styles of metal, from power to prog, from thrash to death, from black to doom, etc. It simply depends on the quality of the band and their music, not the genre they belong to.

Why do I have to keep an open mind about liking death metal? Should I also keep an open mind for liking teen pop? I gave death metal a try, I used to like it, now I don't. I'm open to plenty of other genres (hell, I got home from ProgPower to find my street team gear from a Japanese dance label had arrived in the mail! haha!) but doesn't mean I can't decide I don't like a particular genre... I don't even want to see anyone calling me judgemental & narrowminded because I dislike death metal.

~Sh0k~

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to different kinds of metal, but I just can't get into death metal. I really have tried. Some of the music is really good until the singing starts, but the vocals are just a total turnoff to me, and no amount of "giving it a chance to grow on me" has changed my opinion on that. So it's not a matter of being close-minded, it's just a matter of knowing what I like and dislike.

Besides, I bet you there are just as many closed-minded deathmetal fans who have no tolerance for prog and power metal, each genre has their diehard fans that aren't particularly interested in other genres. While those people might be missing out on some good music, it's certainly their right to like/dislike whatever they want.

I guess this sounds stupid to some people, but I can listen to and enjoy music even if I don't like the vocals that much. I guess I just don't put them at the priority some people do, but I think another large part of it is that while I don't love every singer, I rarely have a large problem with a vocalist. That said, the secret sphere singer was straining and quite off key at points during pp4.

I like growling voices such as in Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir, Children of Bodom (one of my favorite bands in the world), older In Flames and Soilwork, Norther, Kalmah, Dark Tranquillity, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, Opeth, Kreator, old-Amorphis, Gorefest, etc. Most of the above mentioned bands are actually very melodic and I wouldn't want them to change the voice because that is their sound and that is why I like them. I love the contrast between melodic music and death vocals. what I don't like are bands like Deicide or Hate Eternal, which just pound on their instruments non-stop. I admit they have great talents (especially the drummers), but I need some melodies or at least tempo-changes in order to enjoy the more extreme music.

I agree with David N. and the others who like Death Metal. There are plenty of Death Metal acts who are very melodic. Personally, my favorite Death Metal band is AMON AMARTH. ARCH ENEMY is very good, too. VADER, NIGHTRAGE, KATAKLYSM, INTO ETERNITY, CHILDREN OF BODOM, HYPOCRISY, and IN FLAMES are some more bands that are impressive in the Death Metal realm. Some Black Metal is excellent, too. IMMORTAL (R.I.P.) were very good. DIMMU BORGIR, NAGLFAR, and EINHERJER are just a few in the Black Metal genre who are good at what they do. Most of the time musically nowadays, a lot of these Death / Black Metal bands resemble Power Metal and even Prog. Metal. Except for the vocals. There are guitar solos, time changes, crisp production, and money put behind these bands. And it's not always for the God hating, Satan loving crowd, either. I'm neither of these two things and never will be. Good metal is good metal no matter what the classification. I'm a recent convert to Death / Black Metal and I love it because now I have four times the music to really get into besides being a HUGE Power / Prog. Metal addict! Free your mind and your ass will follow!

1. Not all that has growled vocals is death metal.

2. Saying you hate all growly vocals is just as silly as saying you hate all clean singing.

3. If you're shutting out a large amount of music because of a certain element in all cases, don't complain about correctly being labeled narrow-minded.

sh0kr0k said:
Why do I have to keep an open mind about liking death metal? Should I also keep an open mind for liking teen pop? I gave death metal a try, I used to like it, now I don't. I'm open to plenty of other genres (hell, I got home from ProgPower to find my street team gear from a Japanese dance label had arrived in the mail! haha!) but doesn't mean I can't decide I don't like a particular genre... I don't even want to see anyone calling me judgemental & narrowminded because I dislike death metal.

~Sh0k~

I'm not criticizing anyone for NOT liking Death Metal. You either do or you don't. The point I was trying to make is that SOME people never even give it a chance.

I'm fond of all types of metal but never bought any death metal cds until I heard Dark Tranquillity. They totally won me over and I'm discovering really good death metal. Hey, nobody mentioned Vintersorg. His music is great and he has a great clear voice as well as good growls. Mikael Stanne is it for me though. No one else compares.

I love everything from death,black,thrash,prog,power, to just traditional metal..

The music gets me into all of my favorite bands within all these genres. It has to as obviously there is some death vocalists I don't like just as I can't stand some power vocalists that insist on sounding like their bits and pieces are being squeezed into a vice.

I just know that there is excellent musicians within all these genres and I am glad that I am open minded enough to see this. If I went just by what I heard singer wise, I would start to sound like how a pop fan critiques music by.

In my opinion a person isn't narrowminded if they give something a chance. People are going to have their preferences and that's how it is. A person's tastes don't make them narrowminded, you can't like everything you hear.

And oh yeah I love death metal :)

Death metal or growled vocals in itself aren't an obstacle for me, but I generally dislike DM whose primary objective seems to be more brutal than everyone else...as with most other genres, I prefer the bands that try to work outside the norm.

I can't get past the growly vocals. To me, it sounds so much like a parody of metal - like they're making fun of metal. Kinda like a Spinal Tap type of thing.

However, I don't mind all growly vocals. I really love them on that one tune on Into the Electric Castle. They fit the song and really add to it a lot. Most of the death metal stuff sound like - as somebody already mentioned - like they are doing it just to sound brutal.

But that's me. There's plenty of other metal out there I like.

Yippee38

I do indeed see myself as quite open-minded; a few of my favorite bands/artists are: Kiss, Dwight Yoakam, Marillion and I recently discovered an Italian composer by the name of Antoine Charpentier. Most of the extreme metal just sounds too chaotic for me. Blinding speed and noise; seemingly because that's all that the death metal community will accept. I do realize that there are definitely some exceptions to my stereotype above. I *do* like some extreme music(sorry, I don't know how to classify this as speed/death/black/gore....) but these guys are AMAZING:
1. Opeth!!!
2. Children Of Bodom
3. Dimmu Borgir
4. Emperor
5. Diesel Machine
and a few more, no doubt.....

David N. said:
I'm not criticizing anyone for NOT liking Death Metal. You either do or you don't. The point I was trying to make is that SOME people never even give it a chance.

Now I understand what you were saying. I apologize for getting a bit snippy, it wasn't really directed at you though. I get tired of having to defend myself if I don't like an entire genre of music for one reason or another... Truth be told, I like a few of the melodic death metal bands (I suppose they could be called that) like Children of Bodom, Dark Tranquillity, and the likes, but I just can't do death metal anymore..

3. If you're shutting out a large amount of music because of a certain element in all cases, don't complain about correctly being labeled narrow-minded.
I really hope that wasn't directed towards me. I shut out a large amount of country music too, but that's because I decided a long time ago that I don't like the overall sound of it. Same with Death Metal. Just because it has an ounce of metal in it, doesn't mean I need to like ANY of it because of an overarching dislike for the feel of the music. God I hope THAT doesn't make me narrowminded, if it does then everyone is narrowminded if they even say once that they don't like a particular style of music without giving every band an individual listen.. True? Well, whatever the case, I liked it for years, now I'm in a different place in my life where I prefer music that brings me a different set of emotions (yeah I sugar-coated that to avoid a flame attack), now I just don't even bother with the genre. I burned out on it and don't really care to give it another chance. Now, when Dark Tranquillity & Children of Bodom crossed my path, I definately was interested. You know, it just all boils down to the fact that the focus of my interests changes so fast that I often ignore a lot of what else is going on. Right now my thing is prog & power metal, thus anything not in one of those two styles is of little or no interest to me. I never once criticized anything relating to the death metal style, so you can't get me on that one ;)

~Sh0k~