Any fans of other metal styles besides progressive/power metal?

alexofbodom said:
I have not heard this album. I have heard some Impaled songs, but I think none of them had Laiho on it. Singery is cool, although I find Goss to be a weak singer. Bodom is one of my favorite bands, and being a guitarrist myself, I am a big fan of Laiho's playing. :worship:

Liaho is only on the " Nihil " album from Impaled Nazarene. Thats cool if you like Bodom better then Sinergy. It's just with power metal I like my singers, not growlers too much. both bands are good though. I'm not a fan of the new album from COB though.

Creeps said:
I thought they were all metal :)
Creeps, that is one of the quickest and thoughtless posts I have ever seen at UM yet it could also be one of the most well constructed. When you get a bunch of metal-heads together trying to talk about genres, genera and species of metal, you might as well have a debate about politics.
That's not to say this wan't a good post and a good thread, but once it reaches this level where people are having to defend their beliefs as opposed to expressing their opinions, something has happened that should simply insight a close to the conversation.

Bryant

Bryant said:
Creeps, that is one of the quickest and thoughtless posts I have ever seen at UM yet it could also be one of the most well constructed. When you get a bunch of metal-heads together trying to talk about genres, genera and species of metal, you might as well have a debate about politics.
That's not to say this wan't a good post and a good thread, but once it reaches this level where people are having to defend their beliefs as opposed to expressing their opinions, something has happened that should simply insight a close to the conversation.

Bryant

hehhe, that's my way of trying to lighten the mood up a bit :loco:

Here is some from my list (not power/prog in my opinion):
Aria, Luzbel, Horcas, Baron Rojo, Rigor Mortis, Death, Testament, Overkill, Old Metallica, Megadeth, Flotsam & Jetsam, Dead Kennedies, The Exploited, Black Sabbath, Savatage, Iced Earth, Voivod, Jethro Tull, Rainbow, Uriah Heep, WASP, The Police, Rush, Queen, Judas, Ministry, Children of Bodom, Sundown, The 69 Eyes, Vintersorg, Sepultura, Manowar, The Cure, Mission UK, Old U2, Annihilator, Pink Floyd, Mike Oldfield, Therion, Soda Estereo, Heroes del Silencio, Virgin Steel, Haggard, Cacophony, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Inti Illimani, Victor Jara, Enya, Loreena Mckennitt, Dead can Dance, Solitude Aeturnus, Candelmass, and a lot more...

Hmmmm...

Other metal styles I listen to with regularity, and a few bands in each genre (my collection is over 2,500, so I can't possible name all the bands I check out):

straight up death metal:
Death
Morbid Angel
Vital Remains
Kataklysm
Dismember
Vader

Melodic Death Metal:
Dark Tranquillity
Ablaze My Sorrow
Beyond The Embrace
Amon Amarth
God Dethroned

All kinds of Black Metal:
Darkthrone
Immortal
Marduk
Satyricon

Viking Metal (my favorite):
Thyrfing
Ensiferum (even though they're much more folkish/powerish w/ Bodom-esque vox)
Falkenbach
Moonsorrow
Enslaved
Bathory (viking era only)
Graveland
Einherjer

Thrash Metal:
Exodus
Testament
Arch Enemy
Megadeth
Metallica (early, obviously)
Anthrax

And um, lots more.

Oakenson said:
What else do you guys listen to then?

Metal included in this list
Corvus Corax
Delerium
Changelings
Disturbed
Mudvayne
Faith and the Muse
Dido
Poe
Lacuna Coil
The Creatures
Souxie and the Banshees
Nightwish
The Shroud
U2
The Offspring
Etc....

Figured you didn't want the entire catalog of my collection. Though, I have a good bit of 80s and "easy listening" (I'm a massage therapist, it's a requirement).

Korpiklaani play a sort of Folk Metal in which the fiddle and flute are both use frequently to create some excellent music ranging from fun songs like You Looked Into My Eyes (hilarious when you read the lyrics) and Wooden Pints to very beautiful songs like With Trees and Mother Earth. Check them out!

Also, I strongly, strongly suggest to you the Norwegian band Asmegin. They are a great new Viking Metal band that, by the ones you listed, you'll love!

markgugs said:
I've heard of Asmegin. Also, btw, I didn't list nearly the viking metal bands/albums I have & listen to, as the list would dwarf many CD collections. :)

Yes. I only enjoy Folk Viking Metal - for example, I hate Enslaved or Bathory but love bands like Moonsorrow and Thyrfing.

I also noticed you had Graveland under Viking Metal ... tough call there. Well, new Graveland is defintely Viking influenced but Darken's old material is definitely Atmospheric Black Metal.

Anon138 said:
In 1987 I met the guys from Morbid Angel, and I've been traveling down the left hand path ever since. My faves nowadays include Decapitated, Dissection, Emperor, Gorgasm, Immortal, The Meads Of Asphodel, Pyaemia, Spawn Of Possession... you get the idea.

Isn't it interesting that the left hand was the hand used for wiping in the Middle Ages? :D

Whew, I'm another one of those who's all over the map. Everything from Cryptopsy to The Changelings, Dead Can Dance to Dimmu Borgir, Ozric Tentacles to Opeth (or Old Man's Child), Faith and the Muse to The Forsaken..... My show on SeismicRadio is called the Eclectic Collective for a reason. :)

I'd say my tastes have drifted down the left-hand path too (the left hand has always been the "evil" hand throughout history), and I'm no longer as much into power- and prog- as I am into death- and black. (Or "extreme" metal, which covers a lot of territory.)

So naturally I'm sponsoring PoS for ProgPower. :)

(Why? A) because they rule, B) because their show at PPUSA 1 is still one of the Top 5 live shows I've EVER seen, C) because they're different, and eclectic)

CD list: http://all-cds.paulcashman.com
Seismic playlists: http://seismic.paulcashman.com
WREKage playlists (not as eclectic :)) : http://www.wrekage.org and http://wrekage.paulcashman.com

Just wanted to let you know that I went to a Soil concert and one of the support bands was "My Ruin". This metal band has a female singer (female bass player & female dummer) you might want to check them out!!

Pellaz said:
Whew, I'm another one of those who's all over the map. Everything from Cryptopsy to The Changelings, Dead Can Dance to Dimmu Borgir, Ozric Tentacles to Opeth (or Old Man's Child), Faith and the Muse to The Forsaken..... My show on SeismicRadio is called the Eclectic Collective for a reason. :)

Yep, I'm a Changelings kid. I usually hit every concert of theirs I could, when they were still doing stage shows. It's nice to be all over the map, keeps me from being bored.

section 8, stigmata, one king down, hatebreed, sworn enemy, vision of disorder, candira.... among the fav.