Prejudice in Metal Styles?

You brought up a very interesting point, speed. I've experienced this myself more than one time - I enjoy black/death metal, and when people tell me what kind of music I like, and I answer, they very often say "Oh! I didn't know you were that kind of guy! You seem so normal and stuff!" Now this is strange. Does the music I listen to affect me as a person? No! I just happen to enjoy extreme metal. This doesn't change my values or me as a person.

vic was 'ere said:
At the end of the day everyone's entitled to their own opinion I suppose, but I think the prejudice works both ways. No one should get the impression that it's only the fans of melodic metal that pick on those who prefer extreme metal. Unfortunately people are inherently close-minded by nature and we need to be more tolerant.
Well said, Vic! I agree, I experience the prejudice from the other way around too. Actually, I also get it because I am a Christian who happens to like black metal. Well, I used to until I couldn't tolerate another "let's brutally slay all the brainwashed idiots of Christ" band for anything. Ah the countless times I've heard comments like "You have no business tainting black metal by listening to it", "isn't Christian Black Metal an oxymoron? They couldn't possibly make good black metal if it isn't about slaughtering Christ", and "Shouldn't you be begging forgiveness from the merciful penis-in-the-sky instead of bothering me with your irrelevant bullshit?" ... ... ... So that's definately the opposite, though it brings in something other than the music as well. But what do I know, I'm just a silly, under-educated, Christ-loving, Power Metal Proggie who loves Motley Crue.

~Sh0k~

sh0kr0k said:
...Actually, I also get it because I am a Christian who happens to like black metal...

~Sh0k~

That doesn't surprise me that you get people taking the piss, that is a total and utter Oxymoron and just plain wrong.

Well when you say black metal do you mean 1349, Dark Funeral Carpathian Forest?

Or

Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir and Graveworm...because I wouldn't worry about them too much, HammerFall is more Black metal than them :lol:

Do you like Stryper by any chance? :lol:

And I happen to like prog and power metal and Motley Crue aswell so I'm not saying anything about that

speed said:
I was online today, on a server, and I was told twice that I was a loser because of files I have shared. Why and for what reasons was I persecuted; for the very fact that I happened to enjoy death, black, and experimental metal. Apparently certain power metal/traditional metal types, who were both downloading Iron Maiden off me, have decided that anyone thats listens to Lamb of God, Morbid Angel, or Nokturnal Mortum- must be some kind of satanic lonely loser. Now, I have encountered this weird prejudice before in these power metal fans, many talented power metal musicians have told me they refuse to listen to death or black metal- strange I think. I also find it equally ironic that so many of these power metal fans, have no problem listen to stories and lyrics of swords, and dragons, fairies, and wizards- yet get agitated if they hear any song that is remotely blasphemous.

So, just what the hell is this all about- I dont make fun of power metal fans- I dont tell them their music is corny and repetitive. I will defend myself and my tastes as I have done here- and point out the problems in their attacks. Ive noticed the same behavior with Black metal fans- god tell them you like Dimmu or Rotting Christ- and you will never hear the end of it.

Why the hell are so many metal fans closed minded? I suppse its just because so many people are by nature closed minded- and obviously some of them are metal fans. Still, if anyone likes underground/ european metal, I have a innate respect for their musical taste- and I think this respect should be reciprocal.

most people who like death metal are always being closed minded about nu-metal and thrash so i see no reason you should be angry about it

though i do get people on kazaa who talk shit to me for the files i share, my friend download a lot of cRap on my computer, so if you looked in my shared folder you'd see all these underground rappers with cannibal corpse and iron maiden, i share the weirdest arrangement of music you've ever seen :D

Well, that's just stupid. Cryptopsy is most definitely not for angsty teens.

Then again, death metal fans rip on power metal bands, saying they all sing like girls and write cheesy music that isn't metal.

Blind Guardian kind of contradict that. And Nightwish's singer IS a girl, and Symphony X may be cheesy, but Russ does NOT sing like a girl!

Metal styles are usually boring and repetitive anyway. The lions share of bands from every style of metal, are nothing but talentless copycats. Everyday I see more mediocre power metal, black metal, death metal, melodic death releases. SO who the fuck cares which style is better; except for a handful of visionary bands in each genre- each genre sucks.

I agree with Speed here, I went to bloodstock recently and it was over-run by Power Metal. I mean I like power metal but I like everything else. When I brought up the question of diversity at Bloodstock everyone said no, because Black and Death metal would attract assholes and kids who want to hurt people.

We were forced to watch mediocre Power Metal wank and Opeth or Agalloch could never play because "assholes" would come and ruin it.

It annoys me, but every genre is like that.

My favourite styles are Power Metal and Death Metal so that is just a contradiction to some people, I went to Wacken basicallly to see Nile, Vader, Running Wild, Thyrfing, Dismember and Iced Earth(who cancelled)

Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, Slayer and everything else was a bonus

In Flames were spectatularly shit

Next year looks fantastic

(Amon Amarth, Grave Digger, Nevermore and Destruction confirmed so far)

Lady Vampy said:
Maybe all this close-mindedness goes on because everyone's always having a go at bands they don't like and people that listen to them, pissing people off so then they become all defensive.

To be honest I have no idea, I'm tired and this makes sense in my head right now... mostly.
I agree with that, since metal is still an underground genre, most people bash metal fans all the time, so we're pretty defensive when it comes to our music

People who use the word "close minded" are in fact close minded. If people don't think like you or are "open" minded as you might say, they are frowned upon. Thats quite "closed minded" ey? Which is worse, know what you like, or hating people that know what they like, you decide.

People who use the word "close minded" are in fact close minded. If people don't think like you or are "open" minded as you might say, they are frowned upon. Thats quite "closed minded" ey? Which is worse, know what you like, or hating people that know what they like, you decide.

anonymousnick2001 said:
Then again, death metal fans rip on power metal bands, saying they all sing like girls and write cheesy music that isn't metal.

Blind Guardian kind of contradict that.
Blind Guardian is the cheesiest band on Earth, they fit firmly in with power metal steriotypes. I am a fairly open-minded guy when it comes to metal, but power metal is simply abominable. There is nothing at all even remotely interesting in that absolute nerd-haven of undersexed and pathetic old balding men hoping for a glimpse of glory in their tedious, banal existences.

Brilliant- your best post ever Luminous- but many of these aging men are not balding yet- they just have frizzy long hair that looks ridiculous. As much as I like Devin Townsend- his hair is the new model of the aging power metal fan- mostly bald- with long long hair on the sides.

Three or Four years ago I gave in, and went to a power metal concert- cuz my friend was raving about this band symphony X- and how they never played the states, and didnt even have a distribution deal. I was shocked to see 200 or so men that looked like they'd be right at home at a star trek convention. Still, Symphony X was pretty damn good- I have to admit.

Yeah, I personally like Blind Guardian and symphony X. They are both very metal, regardless of how sword-and-sorcery their lyrics may be.

Case in point: Traveler In Time and Of Sins and Shadows

MetalHeadMarc said:

I disagree because to be truely open minded, you would accept someone being narrow minded but would still reserve the right to state that they are acting in a contrary way to you.
In simple terms, if I think someone is being narrowminded because they refuse to listen to nothing but power metal (for example), I am within my rights to tell them that they're view on music is limited. However, I would never then go on to tell them how to live their lives and what CD's to buy. If they can't see past one genre of music, it's their loss, not mine.

osti ma grosse petoche toé....tu me fait chier....osti que ta po dallure aik ton tit air de fandant.....criss de tite bolle de linternet......shit ta rien a fair pove con...pourquoi tu passe tes journée a aller sur un criss de forun de pedale.......osti que t fague le grand.......en toute amitier
moi

I must have the potential to be the most unpopular person on the forums then, by the looks of it - I like U2 as well... and Radiohead, and I do quite like some Limp Bizkit songs, I have Korn's first four albums, I like metalcore and emo and most of the artists on Solid State Records (all Christian death metal or metalcore), I can quite happilly listen to Darkthrone, Anaal Nathrakh and Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir... oh, and the Chemical Brothers rule too...