Power Metal- Why is it popular?

yes, as everyone says. It definitely comes down to personal opinion. You like death metal and nothing else, you're bound to be biased towards death metal. but one thing I noticed is that nobody ever mentioned some of these 'power metal bands nowadays', so there's no grounds for you to be bitching unless you truly are using gay pop-style power metal as reference material for your statistics. Power Metal is vast. 4 completely different-styled power metal bands (and better ones) would be Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Blind Guardian, and Symphony X. Those four show a broad perspective of power metal, so I really don't think you were referring to those and a few others like them when you referred to power metal bands as 'uncreative and generic' now were you? I'd like to know what bands specifically were you thinking of when you decided to make this topic. Were they bands like Sonata Arctica, Stormwarrior, Thy Majestie, or what? I'm thinking you must have just pulled up random bands from the power metal section on mp3.com or something.

I am actually a huge fan of Melodic Death Metal like Pandemonium, In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Nightrage, and Ninnuam, but I have appreciation for basically any kind of music (no pop, new wave, or rap though). Power Metal actually is one of the most creative and most technical genres (instrument-skillwise) if you stick to the good bands and not the one-chord wonders as some of them are.

Why is Power Metal so popular?

Power Metal does so well because it has a nice balance between heavy guitars, power and melody, you can't beat that. Also, many of these bands have a sound that is anchored in traditional metal while adding orchetsrations.
Granted, Yes, the genre has churned out tons of these bands, but the "hair metal" of the 80's had the same problem. You just have to realize there are the greats that exist and those are the ones that deservedly have a large fan base and sell many records. The ones who have been around the longest and established that sound and style belong where they are today.
And you know what, there are several others who have been influenced by them and also make great music. I am all for that scene, just not the over population!

Pioneers of Power Metal:

Helloween, Grave Digger, Blind Guardian, Running Wild, Iced Earth, Stratovarius, Gamma Ray, Angra, Manowar, Savatage, Sinner, Rage, Jag Panzer, Virgin Steele, Morgana Lefay.

And the newer greats:

Primal Fear, Seven Witches, Thunderstone, Sonata Arctica, Rhapsody, Nightwish, Edguy, Brainstorm, Tad Morose, Hammerfall, Dream Evil, Firewind, Kamelot, Evergrey, Sinergy.

NocturnalSun said:
Power Metal is vast. 4 completely different-styled power metal bands (and better ones) would be Nevermore, Children of Bodom, Blind Guardian, and Symphony X. Those four show a broad perspective of power metal, so I really don't think you were referring to those and a few others like them when you referred to power metal bands as 'uncreative and generic' now were you?
I've heard three of those bands (haven't heard Symphony X) and they were all total wank. I've even seen Nevermore live twice. Nevermore is the best one out of those you mentioned, but I can't appreciate those vocals. CoB is crap with gay-ass keyboards. Blind Guardian at least has the gall to be truly horrible. THose damn "koom-by-ya" choruses are just hilarious.

I cannot appreciate this girlie metal, but I can see why so many like it. Not everyone can take the brutal stuff.

mysterVI said:
yeah, not everyone can take the brutal stuff. Keep in mind that not everybody is limited to just brutal stuff, or just koom-by-ya stuff. I have to have both.
True. I don't limit myself to just brutal stuff either. Bands like Skepticism, Agalloch, Morgion, Mourning Beloveth, and In the Woods are really brutal at all, yet I like them a lot.

As i read these replies, i am reminded of the primary reason i dislike power metal. Its not the melodic nature of the music, or the vocals, but it is the blind happiness of most power metal. I am perturbed by a music that is so happy, so over the top, so much like a battle march. It fails to consider the sorrow of life, the suffering of life, instead it sounds like nothing more than a loud battlecry to those that wish to escape the drudgery of their lives. Yet, in doing so, it fails to recognize that all great music, is great, because it brings joy and happiness through sorrow and suffering as well.

Yet by making this comment, i understand that most metal fails to live up to these standards also.

Nevermore power metal? I think they are a thrash band, they even state in interviews they listen to carcass and slayer for inspiration for the lat album. I see them as a more advanced Forbidden- with a power metalish singer. Yet, Nevermore is an excellent example, they sing about suffering and pain, and one can hear it in the music and Warrels voice- thus they are worth more than most of the rest of the power metal bands combined- as their music means something.

Ramblings

speed said:
Nevermore power metal? I think they are a thrash band, they even state in interviews they listen to carcass and slayer for inspiration for the lat album. I see them as a more advanced Forbidden- with a power metalish singer. Yet, Nevermore is an excellent example, they sing about suffering and pain, and one can hear it in the music and Warrels voice- thus they are worth more than most of the rest of the power metal bands combined- as their music means something.

Ramblings
Agreed. I've never considered Nevermore to be a power metal band.

I used to dislike power metal, but now I am giving it another chance. I'm actually listening to Helloween's Keeper Of The Seven Keys right now. I like Grave Digger, early Helloween, Children Of Bodom, Primal Fear, and some Blind Guardian. The only one that I think really sounds happy is Blind Guardian, and I don't like those songs they have that sound too happy and upbeat. I used to hate the mutli voice vocal harmonies, but I guess I kind of got used to them. That being said, I definitely like death metal, black metal, and thrash better than power metal.

I love power metal, as much as I like heavy and even some death and black.
The only problem I see with power metal is that there are too many bands sounding the same. However that doesn't mean it has to be simple and "pop" oriented. There are power and prog metal bands who innovate and kick ass.

Take Gamma Ray, listen to their albums and you'll realize every single one sounds different from the previous. Then there are prog/power bans like Symphony X, Pagan's Mind... if their stuff is simple, well... And of course we have the simple catchy stuff that just makes you want to headbang and sing along. Power metal is accesible and it has a little bit of everything, there's talent, there's a lot of melody, and even aggression if you know where to look

mysterVI said:
Go to a death metal forum and go to a power metal forum and the first thing you'll notice is that the power metal forum has just as many females as there are males. QUOTE]

You've said what I have wanted to say for ages. Females don't seem to understand music.

Maybe it's just me, but although I heartily agree that the majority of females are incapable of recognizing good music, I can't tell you how many female death-metal fans I've had the extreme displeasure of meeting. Of course, they're all pop-culture whores who listen to the genre for all of the wrong reasons, because it's "cool and dark"(I've actually heard this description before) and helps them to appear "different" in order to conceal their truly dull bimbo-like personalities. But if that minor catch doesn't bother you, I recommend moving to Miami, where you'll find plenty of what you're looking for and a whole lot more. :)

Oh, and for the sake of contributing to the forum, the only decent power metal bands I've listened to as of yet are Iced Earth and Blind Guardian, both of which I consider to be far more listenable and musically impressive than the overwhelming flock of death metal bands I've been recommended, while still maintaining a sense of originality and musical prowess. Also, Symphony-X and Vanden Plas are not power metal bands. They are of the progressive metal variety, a subgenre that, apart from the mutual use of clean-vocals, is generally uncomparable to power metal in every sense of the word, although I will admit that some Vanden Plas songs sound a bit like power metal.

_SLAYERIZED_ said:
Its popular cuz its heavy pop music... its for whimps and this world has too many whimps who listen to such as Hammerfall, Stratovarius and all these millions of folk metal anmd arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!

DIE POSER METAL!! o_O
Is that why you listen to Death Metal, or whatever you listen to... so that people won't think you're a whimp?
Not to piss on any other DM fans around here, I mean I like some DM myself. But it seems that anyone that dislikes PowerMetal becuase they think it's "gay" or "homoerotic" thinks it's the only way to prove their masculinity by avoiding it.

I would rather go with, PM being more accesible, it is closer to pop or rock music and it can generally be enjoyed by people who usually don't listen to metal. If anything, it's a good "gateway" into the world of metal. If no power- or progressive metal existed I don't think thrash-, black- or extrememetal would have had the same number of fans. Metal would have been even more buried underground, obscure and generally unknown.
Hammerfall is a good example, regardless of what most people around here thinks about their music, they did do alot to help metal get recognition.

The subgenres that gets the most shit flinged at are usually the ones closest to more popular genres.

Another interesting question ofcourse is... what is Power Metal? Wich bands can truly by called PM? I've heard anything from Labyrinth to Savatage to CoB being described as PM. Although among those three, I would think Savatage is the closest.

Not everyone can take the brutal stuff.

No, it's just that not everyone can accept the fact that the majority of bands that can be considered "brutal" are total shit...brutal is an adjective used to describe offensive violence, not music. And no, brutal is not synonymous with good music. Stop relying on such bullshit terminology to describe a style of music, and try supporting your preferences with a defense other than a paper-pushing, half-assed remark such as "Not everyone can take the brutal stuff." Frankly, that doesn't signify anything to me, except that it means you may be a complete jackass with no taste in music. Try THINKING next time and you may actually find it rather simple to form valid claims in response to an over-extended argument. Really, thinking isn't so hard, I suggest you give it a try.

Its popular cuz its heavy pop music... its for whimps and this world has too many whimps who listen to such as Hammerfall, Stratovarius and all these millions of folk metal anmd arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!

DIE POSER METAL!!

What a shithead...
Hint: Legible spelling and grammar is the first step in not sounding like a dolt on a messageboard. Consider going back to school and at the very least getting a GED.

As i read these replies, i am reminded of the primary reason i dislike power metal. Its not the melodic nature of the music, or the vocals, but it is the blind happiness of most power metal. I am perturbed by a music that is so happy, so over the top, so much like a battle march. It fails to consider the sorrow of life, the suffering of life, instead it sounds like nothing more than a loud battlecry to those that wish to escape the drudgery of their lives. Yet, in doing so, it fails to recognize that all great music, is great, because it brings joy and happiness through sorrow and suffering as well.

Speed, if the primary reason you can't tolerate the genre is because it's too happy, then that's not a very good reason, is it? First off, it seems there a number of people that are under the misguided impression that power metal consists merely of Hammerfall, Manowar and Stratovarius. Clearly, this is not the case, and I would recommend that these individuals ascertain other dissimilar bands before making such a general statement on an entire genre of music. You know who you are, so I've decided that I won't go into that.
Ayway Speed, you obviously have somewhat of a well-established predilection towards music of the more somber and pessimistic variety. Consider the fact that not everyone on the planet is in line with your ideals, and that some others like myself may consider it a bit pretentious and ultimately useless to live life by utter pessimism. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a handful of different bands and artists that delve deep into the "horrible sorrows of life," both in their lyrics and music, but by no means do I consider it a neccesity in order for me to enjoy the music. Does music essentially require a pessimistic element to be worthy of considerable recognition? I think not...but it's up for debate.