Power Metal- Why is it popular?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Can someone explain to me why power metal is so popular? Of all the underground metal styles, power metal seems to be the highest selling. Why?

Not only is power metal horribly cheesy, but it is horribly stagnant. Each power and prog band seems to release the same album, every year. We know there will be a few fast songs, lots of solos and choruses, a few lame ballads, and singers that sounds like they belong in the vienna boys choir.

I just dont get why so many people are hardcore fans, and why they buy so many albums? It seems to me one could buy the top 10 best power metal cds( if there is such a thing), and they would hold a power metal collection that encompasses every single musical idea that has ever existed in the power metal genre.

Finally, another point, does anyone notice the immense ego's power metal guitarists generally have? It seems at leasr 80% of these bands are controlled by the lead guitarist who was influenced by Malmsteen, Blackmore, and kai Hansen. It seems most of these lead guitarists write all the music, and control the band with an iron fist.

i don't even know why this is a thread??

it's personal preference. you may be in love with death metal..why? it's the same question. a lot of people could say that all dm sounds the same and has the same idea, and same ego problem. it's all opinion..
as for the reason why it's most popular.. probably because it's most accesible to the general public and i'm sure a lamen would enjoy hearing a person sing clearly rather than sing a growl..

True the same things can be said of the lions share of black metal and death metal. Most bands offer absolutely nothing new, and proclaim to be either satanists, antichristians, nazis, etc, instead of offering us thought provoking music. Yet, there are a great many interesting and different black metal bands, there are a number of death metal bands that incorporate many interesting styles and influences. However, there are not many power metal bands that try much of anything that is new or interesting. This is the problem i was addressing with power metal, why would one support a style that hasnt undergone any musical change in the last 15 years?

Because power metal is the most accessible metal genre out there. People tend to preffer the ''pop'' like structure that many power metal bands have (and who can blame them?). For some reason people don't really care about innovation anymore.

Ultimate_Symphony said:
Because power metal is the most accessible metal genre out there. People tend to preffer the ''pop'' like structure that many power metal bands have (and who can blame them?). For some reason people don't really care about innovation anymore.

Exactly. Go to a death metal forum and go to a power metal forum and the first thing you'll notice is that the power metal forum has just as many females as there are males. Everybody knows that most of death metal's fans are by far, male. My question is, why does there seem to be a dividing wall between power metal and extreme metal. I love both personally, but how many people can say that? And I noticed that some death metal fans will like maybe one or two power metal bands, like Iced Earth(technically, they're p.m.) or Blind Guardian, but they never seem to give the rest of the genre a chance.

mysterVI said:
Exactly. Go to a death metal forum and go to a power metal forum and the first thing you'll notice is that the power metal forum has just as many females as there are males. Everybody knows that most of death metal's fans are by far, male. I love both personally, but how many people can say that? And I noticed that some death metal fans will like maybe one or two power metal bands, like Iced Earth(technically, they're p.m.) or Blind Guardian, but they never seem to give the rest of the genre a chance.
Yeah, that's true. I listen to some power metal bands when i'm in the mood.

My question is, why does there seem to be a dividing wall between power metal and extreme metal.
My guess is that many death/black metal fans are too accustomed to the harsh environment of their music and they can't relate at all to the bombastic nature and melodies of power metal.

speed said:
Can someone explain to me why power metal is so popular? Of all the underground metal styles, power metal seems to be the highest selling. Why?
Because most metal listeners are pussies that can't handle the more brutal stuff. And because people like those cheesy sing-a-long choruses. Like someone said, people like those "pop" elements in metal, which have also infected the melo-death sub-genre (In Flames, Soilwork), rendering all these bands irrelevant.

I hate the melo-death genre also, but I like several power metal bands a lot. For years, the only non-death/black metal I'd listen to is Danzig and Samhain. Now my cd player spins everything from radiohead-suffocation-burzum-stratovarius-sigur ros. But like you I hate bands like In Flames and Soilwork for some reason. Not that I think melo-death is shit, I just think that if I'm going to listen to death metal, I'm going to do it right and listen to Despise The Sun , or something.

As some already mentioned, it is the most popular subgenre because it is the most accessable. It is melodic, the riffs are always clear and easy to make out, and the vocals are clean, often with catchy courses with multiple voice harmonies thrown in. I understand how this can be more appealing than ultra fast blurry riffing, blastbeats and growls. However, my favorite genre is death metal, and I like a lot of black metal and thrash too. I am not at all a power metal fan.

I've always found power metal to be a bit.. homoerotic.. to be honest.. but meh, that me.

I can see why people like it though, simple song structures, mostly clean vocals, and mostly melodic and upbeat. Nothing to complex, easily digestible. It shares alot with pop music in that sense, just... its metal. So yeah, its not hard to see why power metal is so popular.

So, I think i agree with a few of you here, power metal is popular because it is more pop oriented- even hair metal oriented. The song structures are usually simple, only the solos are complex- to make fans think these guys are really talented (most of them are excellent if unimaginative musicians). The sing along appeal attracts many- ive always understood that people buy records to learn the lyrics to sing along to their favorite song.

We also have the homoerotic bombastic nature of power metal. Surely this music transports many from their pathetic lives, to one of dragons, lotr, swords etc. The lyrics are usually inoffensive drivel, i have gone and looked at the lyrics to the 7 or 8 power metal records i own, and I must say only vanden plas has decent lyrics, others are about rainbows, mighty warriors, etc. I suppose the music puts one in a decent mood, it doesnt depress or bludgeon, or even make one think, only seems to inspire a strange( i believe homoerotic) masculine feeling.

these are just my opinions on the subject- i really find power metal, and alot of other forms of metal to be downright foolish. So, if you disagree with me, fine I am not an enlightened person, nor do i have any feeling of superiority over anyone else on this board that may listen to power metal. I just am airing my many power metal grievances, and trying to understand the genres appeal.

Melody.
I am not taking about some melodic riffs and such, but a REALLY melodic song, that's why..

One of my favorite bands ever, Angra, are not cheesy at all... The lyrics aren't about swords and they are not pop-oriented either! It's complex and original as well... I guess they are power metal...

Personal preference. :)

And I myself enjoy extreme metal (black/death), doom metal, gothic metal, power metal, traditional metal, speed metal, etc. Fuck limiting your taste in music; the metal subgenres are all metal and metal is the genre we all love, right?

Mournful

mysterVI said:
Go to a death metal forum and go to a power metal forum and the first thing you'll notice is that the power metal forum has just as many females as there are males. QUOTE]

You've said what I have wanted to say for ages. Females don't seem to understand music.

ditto mournful death (cept for some of the genres eg: black metal)

to answer the question though, its the most popular, because its the least extreme. lyrically and the music is less intense (generally). i don't want to hear about the undead burning down churches in the name of lucifer ... i wont neccessarily write it off, but generally i wont listen to it ... i think thats the same for most ppl ... (perhaps not most ppl on these forums though. haha!)

To Mournful Death, firmly agree. I listen to power metal and melodic metal. They show the talent of composers and performers. Besides, different ways are to express different feelings. I also listen to death. They are just different. Nothing else!

Most people are living a happy life. So why not listen to melodic metal?????

Speed, you envy power metal.