Extreme metal or traditional metal?

MasterOLightning said:
I usually lump traditional metal in with a lot of classic rock. I used to listen to it a lot, but I have trouble sitting through an entire Maiden album. I much prefer extreme metal.

Like Opeth?

Some doom metal (doomdeath) is extreme metal, like Mourning Beloveth, Arcane Sun, Evoken, Void of Silence, etc. But of course Cathedral, St. Vitus, Solitude Aeturnus, etc. are not extreme metal.

Dodens Grav said:
Opeth isn't Extreme, that was the point being made.

their not 100% death metal and therefore not 100% extreme, but saying they arent extreme in the slightest is plain stupid.

I'm not getting trapped in this revolving fucking door again, so I'll just leave it as it is, with you thinking that I'm stupid because of your own misconception.

Everybody's view on what is traditional and what is extreme is different. I consider stuff like Slayer and Death to be traditional. I don't expect many to agree with this(especially Death since they influenced 99% of extreme Metal bands) but I consider this to still be traditional just with a heavier sound. I don't consider any Black Metal to be traditional(although stuff like At the Heart of Winter from Immortal sounds like Heavy Metal with Black vocals) but I do consider certain early Death bands like Possessed and Death to be traditional. But that's just me. My favorite genre is Thrash/Speed Metal and because I consider that traditional Metal, I consider myself to be a bigger fan of the traditional stuff.