Extreme metal or traditional metal?

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
Which do you prefer? I must admit, that I generally prefer extreme metal (ie. black, death, aggressive thrash) to traditional metal (Priest, Sabbath, etc.). I do really enjoy listening to the traditional stuff once in a while (especially Maiden), but I find myself listening to much more death and black metal than the traditonal stuff. Oh, and for the power metal fans, to me power metal (which I also listen to sometimes) is modern traditonal metal.

Extreme by fucking miles. I wasn't alive for the glorious heydays, so they really don't mean anything to me. Not to sound ignorant, as I fully comprehend and appreciate all of the influence the old scene's had.

Extreme by far.

I got into extreme metal starting with Black Metal which sounds so far removed from traditional/power metal that I really can't get into it. Perhaps someday I'll discover it, but I'm content to listen to extreme metal for the most part.

What's Bathory? They're fucking amazing, and I'd call them more to the traditional side than the extreme side.

Although I like more extreme stuff (i.e. Black Metal, some Death), I listen to Viking-era Bathory the most.

Of all Bathory's albums I dislike their thrash attempts and their first couple albums the most. I didn't know if Twilight/Hammerheart/Nordland would be considered extreme.

Traditional, by fucking far. If Thrash Metal is included within those boundaries, than 20 times more. Extreme Metal is annoyingly elitist and heavily recycled for the most part (even though I enjoy many, many bands that could be placed within that faction), it was done best in the 80's by Bathory and Possessed.

Well, my favorite style is doom/stoner metal. I guess that would fall under traditional, since it's not hyper speed brutality. But I also love that shit too.

Fuck no. Black Sabbath and Candlemass are NOT Extreme Metal.

Traditional Metal (including Thrash) pwns Extreme Metal.

Dodens Grav said:
Fuck no. Black Sabbath and Candlemass are NOT Extreme Metal.

Traditional Metal (including Thrash) pwns Extreme Metal.

There's some extreme doom metal, but now that I think of it...yeah you're right.