Any fans of other metal styles besides progressive/power metal?

Anon138 said:
I grew up listening to the "classic" metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, etc. In the mid-eighties I discovered Bathory, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Possessed, Voivod... just to name a few. In 1987 I met the guys from Morbid Angel, and I've been traveling down the left hand path ever since. My faves nowadays include Decapitated, Dissection, Emperor, Gorgasm, Immortal, The Meads Of Asphodel, Pyaemia, Spawn Of Possession... you get the idea.

Did you ever hear Coroner ? They were pretty amazing especially for a three man unit. Progressive thrash and way ahead of their time. Another cool band even less known than Coroner was Powermad. Thrash/speed metal, but fairly epic and the vocalist used a high clean (clean in the oldschool definition as in without rasp) vocal technique often, which was rare for a thrash band. They were on a major label for their one release "Absolute Power" but just fell through the cracks of the saturated metal market.

Bryant

Bryant

nightwish58 said:
Thanks bro, I will look into that as I always wondered who started that style. Now you have Within Temptation, After Forever, Epica, etc... However, i never listened to Theatre of Tragedy, but now realize I may be missing out on something I could potentially really like. I'll check it out and get back to you!!! LOL Thanks again.
their most recent 2 releases are industrial/techno and sound nothing like their original style... yah, I'm still trying to figure that genre shift out.

Bryant said:
Did you ever hear Coroner ? They were pretty amazing especially for a three man unit. Progressive thrash and way ahead of their time. Another cool band even less known than Coroner was Powermad. Thrash/speed metal, but fairly epic and the vocalist used a high clean (clean in the oldschool definition as in without rasp) vocal technique often, which was rare for a thrash band. They were on a major label for their one release "Absolute Power" but just fell through the cracks of the saturated metal market.

Bryant

Bryant

Coroner is awesome. Them Celtic Frost and Messiah are great as well. Sadly the swiss thrash scene never got the attention it deserved.

alexofbodom said:
I guess so. I was just generalizing metal with death/black vocals. Would take too long to exactly classify each band...:loco:

Well too me anyway what I consider melodic death metal nowadays is shit like New Vital Remains, Morbid Angel ( Dominate era and Formulas Fatal To The Flesh era ) ,and newer stuff from Behemoth. I don't consider bands like Arch Enemy, (older ) In Flames, dark Tranquility , Children of Bodom,ect.. to be melodic death at all. They are just to me power metal with harsh singing over them. I do agree that all those gothenburg bands are trying to repeat slaughter of the soul from At The Gates alot and it's very old! What is also old is bands using hardcore meets =the gothenburg sound ( killswitch engage, shadows fall, god forbid,ect..) . At The Gates to me is more thrash if anything. But the best bands to come from gothenburg to me are ATG, Carnal Forge, ( early ) Soilwork, and The Haunted. Those bands were to me able to keep melody while still keeping the music aggressive! I just getting tired of the way those melodic thrash bands use melodies. They tend to get repetitive after awhile. It's just like all the extreme death metal bands in the USA who tried to attempt to make another " Effigy of the Forgotten " from Suffocation.

Anon138 said:
I grew up listening to the "classic" metal bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, etc. In the mid-eighties I discovered Bathory, Celtic Frost, Mercyful Fate, Possessed, Voivod... just to name a few. In 1987 I met the guys from Morbid Angel, and I've been traveling down the left hand path ever since. My faves nowadays include Decapitated, Dissection, Emperor, Gorgasm, Immortal, The Meads Of Asphodel, Pyaemia, Spawn Of Possession... you get the idea.

Decapitated rules. I have there Negation albums and it's probably the best technica' brutal death metal i heard since Crytopsy's " Whisper Supremacy " and those kids are only 18-21 years of age and have 4 albums out. I can;t wait for future albums. They are unavoidably goin to progress more. Dissection is awesome. If you like Dissection I recommend you check out a band from Germany called Dark Fortress. They are the only band that has that Dissection sound and does it very well. Well Emperor & Immortal had a good run but too bad they broke up! I have yet to check out Pyemia, SOP, and Gorgasm. I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually

Hey Markgugs,

Hahahha, I uh, well, um, yea, uh sortasomewhatlikeJourney as well. The Arrival is a great slab of rock / pop and I cant get enough of it. Oh yea, since it was brought up, I forgot to mention Loud and Clear as well. I still need that first cd though, it's a bitch to find.

Ben

While power is my favorite sub genre of heavy metal I like many different kinds of metal. I would get bored if I limited myself to just one or two types. I am actually going to a Premonitions Of War/Satyricon/Suffocation/Morbid Angel show tonight! I like traditional, power, prog, thrash, doom, black, death and of course hard rock influenced metal such as Pink Cream 69, Van Halen, Def Leppard, KISS and even the more metal like Whitesnake, Deep Purple, etc. I like The Beach Boys. I also like some 70's progressive rock like Focus and Arena.

My favorite non power/prog metal bands are...

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Destruction, Kreator, Sodom, Morbid Angel, Venom, Carcass, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Death, Nevermore, Dimmu Borgir, Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Death, Obituary, Megadeth, WASP, Lizzy Borden, Metal Church, Sabbath, Dio, Ozzy, and much more.

Thrashtilldeath666 said:
Well too me anyway what I consider melodic death metal nowadays is shit like New Vital Remains, Morbid Angel ( Dominate era and Formulas Fatal To The Flesh era ) ,and newer stuff from Behemoth. I don't consider bands like Arch Enemy, (older ) In Flames, dark Tranquility , Children of Bodom,ect.. to be melodic death at all. They are just to me power metal with harsh singing over them. I do agree that all those gothenburg bands are trying to repeat slaughter of the soul from At The Gates alot and it's very old! What is also old is bands using hardcore meets =the gothenburg sound ( killswitch engage, shadows fall, god forbid,ect..) . At The Gates to me is more thrash if anything. But the best bands to come from gothenburg to me are ATG, Carnal Forge, ( early ) Soilwork, and The Haunted. Those bands were to me able to keep melody while still keeping the music aggressive! I just getting tired of the way those melodic thrash bands use melodies. They tend to get repetitive after awhile. It's just like all the extreme death metal bands in the USA who tried to attempt to make another " Effigy of the Forgotten " from Suffocation.
You're pretty mixed up dude. Vital Remains, Morbid Angel and Behemoth are FAR from melodic death metal. Just because they're not wall-of-sound Cannibal Corpse clones doesn't make them any less brutal.

(Older) In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy are hardly power metal with harsh vocals. Were you aware that Lunar Strain & The Jester Race, and The Gallery came out at the SAME TIME as Slaughter of the Soul? They defined the "Gothenburg" sound just as much as AtG. It's all modernized thrash anyway.

And lastly, you don't seem to have a clue who actually comes from Gothenburg. Carnal Forge, The Haunted and Soilwork don't. Of course, you're the same person who likened Into Eternity to nu-metal, so I'm not surprised you're very obviously in the dark as to your metal history and accuracy.

markgugs said:
You're pretty mixed up dude. Vital Remains, Morbid Angel and Behemoth are FAR from melodic death metal. Just because they're not wall-of-sound Cannibal Corpse clones doesn't make them any less brutal.

(Older) In Flames, Dark Tranquillity and Arch Enemy are hardly power metal with harsh vocals. Were you aware that Lunar Strain & The Jester Race, and The Gallery came out at the SAME TIME as Slaughter of the Soul? They defined the "Gothenburg" sound just as much as AtG. It's all modernized thrash anyway.

And lastly, you don't seem to have a clue who actually comes from Gothenburg. Carnal Forge, The Haunted and Soilwork don't. Of course, you're the same person who likened Into Eternity to nu-metal, so I'm not surprised you're very obviously in the dark as to your metal history and accuracy.

Well for you to say New Vital Remains isn't melodic ! lol don't make me laugh! You obviously never heard " dechristianize " but you haven't seem to ever surprise me since you started posting crap in reply to me. Go have a listen to the " dechristianize " album before you make a comment like that! Bands like Vital Remains proves that they can play brutal death metal with melodies. I bet you are probably those people who can't take listening to extreme death metal so thats why it probably all sounds the same to you!! Just becuz Lunar strain came out the same time as slaughter of the soul doesn't mean that In Flames was at one time a ATG cone . ATG has been around years before In Flames. Btw it seems like you don't have the clue those bands come from gothenburg. dark tranquility, arch enemy, i(older ) in flames Hardly power metal? ok maybe not totally power metal lets just say power/thrash ok? those bands certainly aren't death metal at all !!!

Thrashtilldeath666 said:
Well for you to say New Vital Remains isn't melodic ! lol don't make me laugh! You obviously never heard " dechristianize " but you haven't seem to ever surprise me since you started posting crap in reply to me. Go have a listen to the " dechristianize " album before you make a comment like that! Bands like Vital Remains proves that they can play brutal death metal with melodies. I bet you are probably those people who can't take listening to extreme death metal so thats why it probably all sounds the same to you!! Just becuz Lunar strain came out the same time as slaughter of the soul doesn't mean that In Flames was at one time a ATG cone . ATG has been around years before In Flames. Btw it seems like you don't have the clue those bands come from gothenburg. dark tranquility, arch enemy, i(older ) in flames Hardly power metal? ok maybe not totally power metal lets just say power/thrash ok? those bands certainly aren't death metal at all !!!
I never said that Vital Remains didn't incorporate melody into their music, but you're a fool to think they're a melodic death metal band. Adding to your stupidity and complete lack of knowledge about ME, you go ahead and assume I've never heard Dechristianize. Silly boy. I've heard it plenty, and just saw them live 2 months ago. They're a death metal band with melodic lead guitar, period.

You didn't address a single other thing I wrote about. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At The Gates are ALL - not one, not two, ALL 3 - widely considered by anyone with half-a-brain to be the 3 Gothenburg bands to have started the whole melodic death genre/scene, which AS I SAID, was basically modern thrash with more extreme vocals. Lunar Strain came out BEFORE Slaughter of the Soul; Jester Race and The Gallery came out at the EXACT SAME TIME. Moron.

markgugs said:
I never said that Vital Remains didn't incorporate melody into their music, but you're a fool to think they're a melodic death metal band. Adding to your stupidity and complete lack of knowledge about ME, you go ahead and assume I've never heard Dechristianize. Silly boy. I've heard it plenty, and just saw them live 2 months ago. They're a death metal band with melodic lead guitar, period.

You didn't address a single other thing I wrote about. In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, and At The Gates are ALL - not one, not two, ALL 3 - widely considered by anyone with half-a-brain to be the 3 Gothenburg bands to have started the whole melodic death genre/scene, which AS I SAID, was basically modern thrash with more extreme vocals. Lunar Strain came out BEFORE Slaughter of the Soul; Jester Race and The Gallery came out at the EXACT SAME TIME. Moron.

You said that Vital Remains, Morbid Angel and Behemoth were FAR from melodic. Now you say they do incorporate melody? dude make up your mind!!! I only considered them melodic death becuz oldr in flames, arch enemy ect.. aren't death metal when you take out the vocals. they play pretty much thrash/power. I said ATG were around way before In flames! ATG had aready put out 3 or 4 albums before In Flamer's Lunar strain came out! So by saying that ATG had no influence what soever on IF just makes me laugh!

markgugs said:
Jester Race and The Gallery came out at the EXACT SAME TIME. Moron.

What does that have to do with In Flamers not being influenced by ATG?? what i been saying before as i already said is ATG were around way before In flames! ATG had aready put out 3 or 4 albums before In Flamer's Lunar strain came out!

This discussion is getting silly. Who cares how somebody defines a band. I was one of those who called Bodom, In Flames (old), etc melodic death. I know Bodom is more power than anything, with some thrash, and other influences. But I am not going into detail of each band's style. If so then Blind Guardian is not power metal, they are melodic boombastic medieval power metal etc. I do agree with what Markgugs is saying but I just think it is pointless to try to convince others about metal bands and what exact style they should be labeled...it will always differ from person to person (matter of perception)

alexofbodom said:
This discussion is getting silly. Who cares how somebody defines a band. I was one of those who called Bodom, In Flames (old), etc melodic death. I know Bodom is more power than anything, with some thrash, and other influences. But I am not going into detail of each band's style. If so then Blind Guardian is not power metal, they are melodic boombastic medieval power metal etc. I do agree with what Markgugs is saying but I just think it is pointless to try to convince others about metal bands and what exact style they should be labeled...it will always differ from person to person (matter of perception)

Well that I can agree with. I usually define a band depending on the music not vocals really. Bodom to me is power metal to me definitly. Btw I'm assuming by your discuss forum name that you are a fan of Alexi Liaho. Have you ever heard the one album he did for Finnish black metal band Impaled Nazarene " Nihil " ?? I think it's great personally. I like Sinergy best out of everything he has done.

Thrashtilldeath666 said:
You said that Vital Remains, Morbid Angel and Behemoth were FAR from melodic. Now you say they do incorporate melody? dude make up your mind!!! I only considered them melodic death becuz oldr in flames, arch enemy ect.. aren't death metal when you take out the vocals. they play pretty much thrash/power. I said ATG were around way before In flames! ATG had aready put out 3 or 4 albums before In Flamer's Lunar strain came out! So by saying that ATG had no influence what soever on IF just makes me laugh!
You have serious reading comprehension issues. Now go back and RE-READ what I wrote. I said those bands were FAR from melodic death metal, which is a goddamned genre that everyone but apparently you realizes. Death metal with melody is far from melodic death metal. Sorry you can't realize that.

Now, your SECOND point of confusion is that the GENRE melodic death metal, is sped-up thrash with death metal vocals and twin lead guitars a la NWOBHM. It's pretty simple really. AtG was a far more brutal band on their earlier albums, and didn't have a whole lot to do with their later sound. I have no idea if In Flames was influenced by AtG, and I tend to doubt they not as greatly as you're assuming. Their influences were early/mid '80s Iron Maiden and late '80s Bay Area thrash.

What does that have to do with In Flamers not being influenced by ATG?? what i been saying before as i already said is ATG were around way before In flames! ATG had aready put out 3 or 4 albums before In Flamer's Lunar strain came out!
At the Gates had 2 albums out prior to Lunar Strain, and a 4-song EP, and only 1 full-length out before Skydancer. Yet again, you've got your alleged facts messed up.

You are still conveniently avoiding the fact that not a whole lot of what you wrote earlier is even approaching correct. But I'm coming to expect that from you.

alexofbodom said:
Well, the only difference is that I'm not trying to convince mr.tildeath666 of anything, I'm simply pointing out that he's pretty much wrong all the time. :Smug:

Thrashtilldeath666 said:
Well that I can agree with. I usually define a band depending on the music not vocals really. Bodom to me is power metal to me definitly. Btw I'm assuming by your discuss forum name that you are a fan of Alexi Liaho. Have you ever heard the one album he did for Finnish black metal band Impaled Nazarene " Nihil " ?? I think it's great personally. I like Sinergy best out of everything he has done.
I have not heard this album. I have heard some Impaled songs, but I think none of them had Laiho on it. Singery is cool, although I find Goss to be a weak singer. Bodom is one of my favorite bands, and being a guitarrist myself, I am a big fan of Laiho's playing. :worship:

markgugs said:
Well, the only difference is that I'm not trying to convince mr.tildeath666 of anything, I'm simply pointing out that he's pretty much wrong all the time. :Smug:

::::SIGH:::: I never said i was right or trying to convince anyone i was right . Where did I ever say that? :::SIGH::: Anyways i don't care for your opinions and u don;t for mines i;m sure so lets just agree to disagree ok asshole ?