Other Power and Progressive Metal bands

epicous

Nov 29, 2002
metal-rules.com
A thread about other bands and CDs of power and progressive metal.
A question: Is Stratovarius Elemments part II worth buying?
Thanks for recommendations.

I also have a question, I thought I'd put it in here since it's not worth making a whole thread about it.

I'm just getting into Black Metal, and I'm beginning to enjoy Dimmu Borgir, which one of these discs should I get first/is the best of the two:

-Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
-Death Cult Armageddon

I have had DCA a very long time now, and i can assure you that it`s an AMAZING album. I have just recently started listening got PEM, so i can`treally give a real opinion on that but it seems like this at least: PEM is more symphonic, while DCA is sort of heavier(but also symphonic, and has GREAT songs)! album, both are fantastic, so get both of them!
The song "Progenies of the Great Apocalypse"(DCA) is GREAT. But PEM has "Puritania" and "Carnival-something" so, i really don`t know...

Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia...if you're a prog fan on a Symphony X board and you want to get a Dimmu Borgir album, I highly recommended Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Perfect production, perfect songwriting, huge atmosphere...but of course if you're into black metal get stormblast or for all tid.

Yngvai X said:
Yeah, both Dimmu discs are good. You might also wanna check out Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Its not as orchestrated, but theres a lot of keyboards still. Very good stuff on that one.

Especially on "In Death's Embrace".

Dreadful said:
Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia...if you're a prog fan on a Symphony X board and you want to get a Dimmu Borgir album, I highly recommended Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Perfect production, perfect songwriting, huge atmosphere...but of course if you're into black metal get stormblast or for all tid.

I can translate that for the ones who doesn`t understand those album titles....pretty obvious actually...

Stormblåst- Stormwind or storm blown

For all tid- For all time

Truls, the smart drummer of Doom.

Ensiferum are pretty good. They're power metal/ black metal, I guess.

The Dimmu album with Kings of the Carnival on it is the best one :p

I think that's because DCA doesn't start with that badass blastbeat (this is coming from someone who hates blastbeats 99% of the time) on that one song that's title escapes me at the moment. it rules.

theodyssey said:
I think that's because DCA doesn't start with that badass blastbeat (this is coming from someone who hates blastbeats 99% of the time) on that one song that's title escapes me at the moment. it rules.
Indoctrination?

Nah.. DCA actually kind of sounds like they played the original recording in a tunnel and then recorded it onto CD (exaggerated, because it still sounds OK). And I DO have the original CD. The snare drum somehow reminds me of Images & Words..:D.

But aside from the sound quality of DCA, Dimmu Borgir are really awesome. I just recently started listening open-minded to some black metal, and there's definately some great, sometimes even beautiful stuff!

Progenies is amazing. I never realized classical bombast and metal groove could meld so well. Symphony X'll have to step it up a notch now.

Kings Of The Carnival Creation is also an awesome song. So just pick one of the two. For more intense, melodic, epic black metal, grab Stormblast or For All Tid.

I thought SPD was weak compared to EDT, and PEM and DCA crush it.