The Best Progressive Metal Bands

Nov 20, 2006
Chicago
Does anyone have any album recommendations by good prog metal bands? I've been searching for new stuff, but a lot of what I've found has either cheesy power metalish vocals or boring, drawn-out music. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any album recommendations by good prog metal bands? I've been searching for new stuff, but a lot of what I've found has either cheesy power metalish vocals or boring, drawn-out music. Any suggestions?

thats kind of like asking for some good death metal recommendations because all you've found is stuff that has either has harsh vocals or heavy, down tuned music. :p

hey i get what he means.. ive found alot of whats around these days thats classified as 'prog' just seems like powermetal with keys or is too focused on trying to be ambient rather than actually getting something out..

that's why ive given up on genres and just listen to agalloch.. who could want anything more? ( except Symphony X when it comes out :) )

Hmmm, there are quite a few really good progressive metal bands out there.
One I would recommend would by one of Arjen Anthony Lucassen's projects, but I think my favourite is Threshold. Definately worth checking out!

I'm actually really sick of the "progressive metal" label because of the next generation who think they are progressive but arent. These days people are copying true progressive bands, which I guess is what u call "prog", but in the true sense it isnt at all. I'm sure most of you know what I mean. When I start a band I'm not going to label it because I'm not even going to think that far when I make the music. Hence if i'm not aiming for a genre then I probably will end up being truely progressive :).

/rant

Check out the following bands and albums. I think they should be what you're looking for, or rather, shouldn't be what you're not looking for.

Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, A Fragile Mind
Shadow Gallery - Room V
Fates Warning - Disconnected, FWX
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle, The Universal Migrator
Threshold - Hypotethical
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Mulmuzzler/James LaBrie - Mulmuzzler part 1 or 2
Linear Sphere - Reality Dysfunction
Power of Omens - Any of their albums
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
OSI - Any of their albums

Check out the following bands and albums. I think they should be what you're looking for, or rather, shouldn't be what you're not looking for.

Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, A Fragile Mind
Shadow Gallery - Room V
Fates Warning - Disconnected, FWX
Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle, The Universal Migrator
Threshold - Hypotethical
Redemption - The Fullness of Time
Mulmuzzler/James LaBrie - Mulmuzzler part 1 or 2
Linear Sphere - Reality Dysfunction
Power of Omens - Any of their albums
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
OSI - Any of their albums

Smooth double negative. Thank you for the list.

Check out the following bands

YES - Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, MEH - A Fragile Mind
NO - Shadow Gallery - Room V
YES - Fates Warning - Disconnected, FWX
MEH - Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle, The Universal Migrator
YES - Threshold - Hypotethical
MEH - Redemption - The Fullness of Time
MEH - Mulmuzzler/James LaBrie - Mulmuzzler part 1 or 2
NO - Linear Sphere - Reality Dysfunction
MEH - Power of Omens - Any of their albums
YES - Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
YES - OSI - Any of their albums

MEH - Zero Hour - Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond, MEH - A Fragile Mind
YES - Shadow Gallery - Room V
YES - Fates Warning - Disconnected, FWX
YES - Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle, The Universal Migrator
YES - Threshold - Hypotethical
NO - Redemption - The Fullness of Time
NO - Mulmuzzler/James LaBrie - Mulmuzzler part 1 or 2
NO - Linear Sphere - Reality Dysfunction
NO - Power of Omens - Any of their albums
YES - Riverside - Second Life Syndrome
MEH - OSI - Any of their albums

And you call yourself a prog fan? Just wondering...

No. I hate prog. I just come here because i like the forum and the band has written some good tunes. Plus i got friends here.. But yeah, i'm more into death/black/folk/etc metal.

Wow - and here I thought I liked them. Glad I know that I'm listening to crap now. Whew! Thanks for saving me from myself Zach!

"Opinions are like assholes - everybody has one and they usually stink."

Except mine. I fall in the part that's not "usually". Anyway, glad to be of service.