The Best Progressive Metal Bands

I am always trying to expand my horizons and my tastes in metal/prog metal. I am a recent advocate for SX, but have been a DT fan for a while. Just took my son to his first DT show. Even at 14 he was blown away by Mangini's talents. Now just waiting on SX to tour and hit Dallas.

But I have yet to be able to escape the clutches of Redemption. I don't understand the bashing. The music is intense, and with a purpose. The lyrics are incredibly deep and profound. Ray sings Nick's material with such feeling and emotion. Yes, I love me some FW, but Redemption-- to me-- is Ray's flagship, utilizing his voice to extract the most gut-wrenching emotion possible from Nick's lyrics. I really don't get the hating on "Sapphire". That's the song that drew me to Redemption in the first place.

Earlier, someone mentioned you could ask 100 people who they like the most and get 100 different answers, with 99 people bashing the other person's choices. Its a personal preference. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Whether like or hate Redemption, you are entitled to your opinion. In the case of hating on Redemption, however, your opinion is WRONG.

If you seriously want to expand into different things related to prog metal, I'd recommend looking into some of the musicians who have one foot in prog metal and the other foot in more experimental instrumental projects.

A great gateway album for that sort of thing is the one Jordan Rudess did with Tony Levin and Marco Minnemann. I think any DT fan would be able to enjoy it, but at the same time, it's far more "out there" than DT is. From there it's a skip and a hop to a whole world of innovative, but still very heavy, music. Guys like Alex Machacek, Robert Fripp and Allan Holdsworth are ones that I think prog metal fans could really appreciate, and they'll make you never want to listen to John Petrucci again.

Looks like you have never heard Altura, a prog metal band from the 90s. Some parts are EMBARASSINGLY cloned from Images and Words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WJSg_WMC4o

This is true but much of what sounds like mere DT imitation is actually just sharing common roots with lots of DT's influences: Keith Emerson, Kerry Livgren, Ron Jarzombek, Alex Lifeson, Jim Matheos, etc. The "DT" sound is not really "theirs" to begin with.

The entire "prog metal" genre copies Dream Theater, and most of it is unremarkably boring. Dream Theater, in turn, rips on so many great 70s and 80s acts it isn't funny. Especially when they lift not just tones, but riffs and melodies wholesale.

The entire "prog metal" genre copies Dream Theater, and most of it is unremarkably boring. Dream Theater, in turn, rips on so many great 70s and 80s acts it isn't funny. Especially when they lift not just tones, but riffs and melodies wholesale.

That depends on what you call prog metal. Of you limit it only to DT clone bands then of course it will seem that way.

Even the clone bands are not that bad -- the third-rate 'crap' from prog metal is often pretty listenable and even good. Wander around some third-rate 'crap' jazz or pop music and you'll want to off yourself.

I don't know about that. "crap" Jazz is more interesting to me.

Watching paint dry is more exciting than listening to bands that do the following only because they've decided it's a recipe for awesum muzak:
-odd time signatures (to sound complex, and don't contribute to the song)
-polyrhythm (see odd time signatures)
-philosophical lyrical themes (with glaringly obvious indication that the writer doesn't know a damned thing about what they wrote)
-orchestration (because it's more epic right?!)
-every band member gets a solo, every song

It's not that any of these things are intrinsically bad. But there's a recipe for disaster when they are all used together in try-hard-to-be-impressive ways. It smacks of the ignorance of music as an art form, where negative space can be just as important as all the cacophony on the canvas. These bands just don't get that.

I almost never listen to any kind of metal music anymore. Weird how things change. When I joined this forum in 2007 I listened almost exclusively to metal music. But then I was fifteen. It's been a slow process, but I guess I became one of those old people who used to listen to metal as a kid.

Now where's the ultimate pop forum?

I don't know about that. "crap" Jazz is more interesting to me.

Watching paint dry is more exciting than listening to bands that do the following only because they've decided it's a recipe for awesum muzak:
-odd time signatures (to sound complex, and don't contribute to the song)
-polyrhythm (see odd time signatures)
-philosophical lyrical themes (with glaringly obvious indication that the writer doesn't know a damned thing about what they wrote)
-orchestration (because it's more epic right?!)
-every band member gets a solo, every song

It's not that any of these things are intrinsically bad. But there's a recipe for disaster when they are all used together in try-hard-to-be-impressive ways. It smacks of the ignorance of music as an art form, where negative space can be just as important as all the cacophony on the canvas. These bands just don't get that.

Well, if you veer too far away from the 'safe' labels like Blue Note, let me assure you that you will encounter some pretty shitty jazz.

Prog metal is a pretty niche genre -- there's really only one label that consistently supports it as a 'home base,' which is Inside Out. Maybe also The End, or Mellow Records??, if you consider that prog metal. So you don't have hundreds of terrible acts to wade through. Sure, Redemption is not the most exciting band in the world, but let's be realistic here, their music is not trash. Nor is Vanden Plas and Threshold and Seventh Wonder and Circus Maximus -- they're not great but they're not that bad, either. And each of them actually does innovate, in very small ways. Well, except maybe Redemption.

Bashing on prog metal in particular is just ridiculous. You can't fault it for being derivative more than any other well-established sound. Honestly I think a lot of the more vocal critics of prog metal just don't like hearing lots of notes.

Are there any cutting edge, amazing prog metal bands left? That depends on how you define the boundaries. Much of the sound has migrated to new territory. You want some of the best fucking complex heavy music you've ever heard in your life? Listen to Virgil Donati's In This Life, right now. I would say that's prog metal, in its own way. And it's really, really good.

IMO, what happened to Prog Metal is this:

Lots of bands sound like Redemption, and a couple bands sound like Leprous. I'd like to see more of the latter. Not more sound-alikes, more innovators.

Vanden Plas' last album is one of the best prog albums ever IMO. If you approach a new album with prejudices, or if your mind suddenly concludes that its sound is not innovative, you limit your ways of enjoying music I think. The music is just not sound, and if i have to comment about "originality, i wouldn't count Anathema's new album as original in no way, other than the sound maybe. But i won't bash them, because they make music for the soul, not the mind. Jus as Vanden Plas does for the last 3 albums. The only difference is their drawn influences and genre.

Indeed I limit my options. There's simply too much output to hear it all or even a significant portion of it in one lifetime. So I limit what I listen to based on criteria of my interests - originality, adeptness of execution, and production level. More of the same can be good once in a while, but mostly I'm interested in bands that change the rules when they release a new album.

Ok I understand. Yet, if changing the rules is applied just for the sake of changing the rules, I generally find it shallow in another way. It is a plus if a music has innovation, but also has integrity and intensity. I can easily bash the bands that "try" to be original. It is as negative as the bands that make music with certain formulas as you put it. Instead, I listen to an album, and then decide whether it is for me, or not.