i seek your humble advice :D

Imaginarium

Winds of Creation
Mar 16, 2005
England, UK
i've always been a big fan of all different genres of metal and rock but when i stumbled across Symphony X i really had found something different. and now im trying to find more bands with a similar sound and approach to music as them. I have always liked Dream Theater but i prefer the aggression, fast pace and rediculously powerful, catchy yet unique vocals of SyX. Many people say they are Prog so I have researched into a lot of prog bands. I have listened to bands from Ayreon to Everygrey but i still cannot find a band similar to SyX...the closest I have come is Pagan's Mind. they deliver the same kind of Power/Prog/Fantasy but i don't feel they do it as well. As a newcomer to this particular side of metal I would appreciate any advice on bands that deliver the no-nonsense power of SyX. what genre should i be searching for? I have trawled through the Prog Thread but that isn't really what im looking for...i suppose i want the emotion + melody of prog mixed with just more balls to the wall metal. sorry if i've rambled on but it's hard to express what im after. Much appreciated :)

actually to be honest the album that is closest to what im after is probably Iron Maiden - Dance of Death. it's the only 1 that comes close to fulfilling all of my musical needs like SyX (and Tool) do :)

Personally, I find the new Angra to offer everything that Symphony X does. Temple of Shadows is a great album in my book. They're the only band I've found of late that even compares to Sy X.

Liquid Tension said:
Pain of Salvation
Therion - Theli is their best
Nevermore
Syrinx
Mekong Delta
The Mars Volta

Enjoy...

thank you but i know these bands and they aren't really what im after :p i want more standard metal but with power/prog influences (like angra, SyX, Pagan's Mind etc.). but thanks. nevermore rock but however much i want to i cant get into the mars volta :erk:

popetot said:
...Mirrorstone...

Do they still exist? I couldn't find anything related to that band, no websites, no CDs, no nothing. I downloaded three songs (perfectly legal) but can't remember where I got them. I'd sooo like to hear more of them and buy their record (if they have any).

Any pointers maybe?

Thx in advance!

Rose Immortal said:
Have you already tried Blind Guardian?

......no Blind Guardian would not work, they don't have the middle eastern vibe that SX have........go with Adagio, I think thats the closest you'll ever get to SX. And Pagans mind........well to me they sound more like DT and queensrych than SX.

wayne the goblin/robot said:
......no Blind Guardian would not work, they don't have the middle eastern vibe that SX have........go with Adagio, I think thats the closest you'll ever get to SX. And Pagans mind........well to me they sound more like DT and queensrych than SX.

Middle eastern vibe? The only band I've heard with a middle eastern vibe is Orphaned Land.

Blind Guardian have more of a Middle Earth vibe :)

Yngvai X said:
Middle eastern vibe? The only band I've heard with a middle eastern vibe is Orphaned Land.

Blind Guardian have more of a Middle Earth vibe :)

well, SX does have a song called Egypt
and by middle eastern vibe im talking about middle eastern vibe like the riffs on "of sins and shadows" and "sea of lies"

Try Kamelot. The three albums I would recommend are Karma, Epica and Black Halo.
Fourth Legacy and the live album Expedition are quite good also.

Kamelot lean more towards power but definitely have progressive elements - particularly on the recently released Black Halo.

I'll try again and suggest Dreamscape.

If you can find anything from TOC's Loss Angels disc I would try them. I listened to them yesterday and got a Pagans Mind feel from them with more "power".

I'm addicted to the Mars Volta stuff and I know what you mean about just not getting into a band that many seem to like since I can stand Angra for more then a couple of songs.

Adagio are a similar style and sound, perhaps a bit too similar.

The new Kamelot CD is very good, very symphonic. It seems like you're looking for more of a symphonic power metal style. There are quite a few, like others mentioned, but none quite like Symphony X. They are one of a kind in the prog metal genre. Did you get V yet?
Welcome to the forum!