The Best Progressive Metal Bands

Trying to find new stuff on Youtube, I came across these guys. Finally someone had this awesome idea of mixing metal with one of my favourite styles: Flamenco. They are american, from Florida, I think. Anyone knows this?

I knew about Flametal maybe a year ago. I remember I was really interested on them (Because I´m a fan of Flamenco too), but what I don´t remember exactly is why I lost the interest very fast. I think the problem wasn´t the sound, were the songs, which I found just a few interesting ones. I also remember watching some live videos of them in youtube, but they were actually preety cool.

What I really liked about them is that the guitar player brings the real Flamenco sound to their songs. Forget about the clapping or the "I - VII - VI - V7" (in minor root) chord progression, the acoustic guitar has a very "Spanish" sound, that reminds me (I´m not comparing, is just an example) Paco de Lucía or Manolo Sanlucar instead of the sound of Ottmar Liebert or Armik, that IMO have a very "artificial", "pseudo-flamenco" sound.

But leaving that behind... the "metal" side of the band is not that great. It´s below average (IMO).

I didn't look thru all these guys' suggestions but I too have been looking for a band like DT, but haven't been very successful in finding anything quite like them. However I did come very VERY close with the discovery of the band Andromeda. I just bought their album "Extension of the Wish" and I have listened to it extensively. I haven't listened to any of their other albums very much yet, but I'm definitely putting it on my list of things to listen to.
Also, when you look up Andromeda in the iTunes store, the section titled "Listeners Also Bought" is a wizard when it comes to finding awesome music you haven't heard of.

I didn't look thru all these guys' suggestions but I too have been looking for a band like DT, but haven't been very successful in finding anything quite like them. However I did come very VERY close with the discovery of the band Andromeda. I just bought their album "Extension of the Wish" and I have listened to it extensively. I haven't listened to any of their other albums very much yet, but I'm definitely putting it on my list of things to listen to.
Also, when you look up Andromeda in the iTunes store, the section titled "Listeners Also Bought" is a wizard when it comes to finding awesome music you haven't heard of.

You realize man that all the mainstream acts have copied DT in the last 10 years. For worse, IMO.

You realize man that all the mainstream acts have copied DT in the last 10 years. For worse, IMO.
I dont think any band copies DT. They just get influenced by them, so their music turns out pretty similar to DT. Which is a good thing for people who want to hear bands similar to DT. Like me.

I am always trying to expand my horizons and my tastes in metal/prog metal. I am a recent advocate for SX, but have been a DT fan for a while. Just took my son to his first DT show. Even at 14 he was blown away by Mangini's talents. Now just waiting on SX to tour and hit Dallas.

But I have yet to be able to escape the clutches of Redemption. I don't understand the bashing. The music is intense, and with a purpose. The lyrics are incredibly deep and profound. Ray sings Nick's material with such feeling and emotion. Yes, I love me some FW, but Redemption-- to me-- is Ray's flagship, utilizing his voice to extract the most gut-wrenching emotion possible from Nick's lyrics. I really don't get the hating on "Sapphire". That's the song that drew me to Redemption in the first place.

Earlier, someone mentioned you could ask 100 people who they like the most and get 100 different answers, with 99 people bashing the other person's choices. Its a personal preference. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Whether like or hate Redemption, you are entitled to your opinion. In the case of hating on Redemption, however, your opinion is WRONG.

:D I love Redemption, IF you are talking about the debut album.

If you want to hear bands similar to DT Surpassed, you've come to the right place. "Prog Metal" has thousands.

Hey there good people! Storms of Æolus here!

We're a progressive metal/ djent band from austria and we've recently released our debut EP > Zephyros <! I'd really appreciate it if you could take a few minutes and listen to our music :) it would also be awesome if you could hit us up on facebook and tell us how you like our EP!

a2352413270_2.jpg

Here's our youtube stream ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K550H4O7lr8

our soundcloud ---> https://soundcloud.com/storms-of-aeolus

and of course our bandcamp ---> http://stormsofaeolus.bandcamp.com/

THANKS! :worship: