The Best Progressive Metal Bands

I used to feel the same about his drumming , but after many listens i fell in love with it .He is phenomenal when it comes to the fast extreme transitions (check the 'Last line') and his drumming is really elegant and beautiful when it comes to the calm 'soft' parts ....i changed my mind after listening to the last and first album , so i suggest that you give 'em another listen , who knows , maybe it helps :)

Maybe you're right. I'll listen to their discog again.

Pease look up the "solid" releases I gave you the last time I disagreed with you about this....

Some things never change so I expect you to make this same assumption next year no matter how many examples you're given...

I guess there must be many definitions of progressive...I wasn't aware of that.

How can you actually recall or recollect any such interaction? I don't even recall who you are. Guess it's not a priority...I'll look it up some other century when I have absolutely nothing to do.

I guess there must be many definitions of progressive...I wasn't aware of that.

How can you actually recall or recollect any such interaction? I don't even recall who you are. Guess it's not a priority...I'll look it up some other century when I have absolutely nothing to do.

It's very easy to remember the very few who make such an ignorant claim that you keep doing about progressive music out here year after year....

I feel bad for you

Some thing never change but hopefully you will...

It's very easy to remember the very few who make such an ignorant claim that you keep doing about progressive music out here year after year....

I feel bad for you

Some thing never change but hopefully you will...

Yes...people's opinions of "progressive" metal can be life changing...you've shown me the way through your empathy. Thank you.

SW are a REALLY good band, superb musicians, and helluva nice bunch of guys.
They are refreshing to listen to once in a while, but I like heavier stuff. The vocalist is technically very good, but the unorthodox style (in metal) kinda pushes me off too.

After going through the whole Fates Warning discography after "No Exit", I realized why I never got back to them: simply they lost that "magic" atmosphere and inspiration we could find on their first three albums. Their sound got too clean, artificial and emotionless. I very much like the rhythmic sections of the drums and bass, but all the rest lacks context and feeling. Nevertheless, "Disconnected" and "FWX", the last two albums, caught my attention as they present a band much more heavier and inspired. All the other albums between "No Exit" and these two just made me sleepy. Possibly this is the reason no other band followed their steps.

Of course this is my own opinion. Now excuse me, I must go clean my ears and format my mind with my faves: Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, Porcupine Tree, Ayreon, Riverside, etc, etc... (or else I wouldn't stop, eheh)

I really hated No Exit and Awaken The Guardian. It's not to do with the vocal style. It's to do with the arrangement and songwriting. It's immature sounding to me. Standard metal flavors.

Disconnected, FWX, APSOG, Parallels - these were quite good. Especially APSOG.

I really hated No Exit and Awaken The Guardian. It's not to do with the vocal style. It's to do with the arrangement and songwriting. It's immature sounding to me. Standard metal flavors.

Disconnected, FWX, APSOG, Parallels - these were quite good. Especially APSOG.

It is immature. But it is still amazing.

It is immature. But it is still amazing.

Indeed is immature, never said it wasn't. And the production of those first 4 albums was shitty, but somehow they have a very special feeling and Archer's singing, although not perfect, had something Alder never had. Maybe it's that rawness in the sound and singing that made them so damn delicious. And as in life, growing more mature usually takes away all the fun, don't you think? Of course experience also brings perfection. Anyway, Fates Warning were the first real prog metallers and we owe them all the respect they deserve.

Indeed is immature, never said it wasn't. And the production of those first 4 albums was shitty, but somehow they have a very special feeling and Archer's singing, although not perfect, had something Alder never had. Maybe it's that rawness in the sound and singing that made them so damn delicious. And as in life, growing more mature usually takes away all the fun, don't you think? Of course experience also brings perfection. Anyway, Fates Warning were the first real prog metallers and we owe them all the respect they deserve.

Definitely agreed...a lack of maturity often means exploring paths that mature artists will neglect outright. But I do think that they aged well in many respects.

Trying to find new stuff on Youtube, I came across these guys. Finally someone had this awesome idea of mixing metal with one of my favourite styles: Flamenco. They are american, from Florida, I think. Anyone knows this?

Last edited by a moderator:
:Smokedev: Cool, I knew I wasn't alone, and sometimes I still can't let these kinds of threads go. In all seriousness, whatever floats yer boat, be it GaGa, PoS, Johnny Cash, whatever. Life is too short to bicker about music. I just couldn't stop myself from raining on the lovefest parade :heh:

Me too ... can't stand POS but if someone else loves 'em, so what?