The Best Progressive Metal Bands

Ok, that was an entertaining comeback.

My only question: pine or new car smell?

Oh shit son... that's a tough one. I'll go with..... wait, fabric or leather interior? Because if it's fabric, i'll go with pine, but if it's leather interior then i'll go with that.

just make it a threesome :oops: .. i also prefer the sort of stuff zach is into more than prog..

not saying i dont like prog.. i do if its done in a way that i enjoy like symphony x and ayreon

Yeah, symphony x, human equation from ayreon is quite ace as well. Fanfuggentastic. I just got tired of so much mediocrity.

Oddly enough i switched to Death metal, a genre based entirely on mediocrity :lol:

just make it a threesome :oops: .. i also prefer the sort of stuff zach is into more than prog..

not saying i dont like prog.. i do if its done in a way that i enjoy like symphony x and ayreon
ohh yeah. :loco:

I like "prog" when it isn't the same generic genre stereotypes being rehashed over and over. In general, that means I like "prog" that isn't "prog".

Does anyone have any album recommendations by good prog metal bands? I've been searching for new stuff, but a lot of what I've found has either cheesy power metalish vocals or boring, drawn-out music. Any suggestions?

Try the whole discography from Pain of Salvation. Once you get into it, you'll never get over it. It's for life!

I can't believe everyone here talking about prog metal and not one word about the best prog metal band out there (IMO). Guys, you GOT to check out PAIN OF SALVATION! . Any album! I suggest "Remedy Lane", "The Perfect Element part I" and "One Hour By The Concrete Lake" for starters. Then "Be" once you surrender. The whole discography is amazing and has many different moods. Each song is a pearl by itself. Just run and listen to it. You'll thank me later, eheheh.

Who would defend this? Nu metal should have just died in the 90s

Let's get some of the good stuff in here

Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone actually diss Room V? I'm speechless. Even Digital Ghosts kicked ass without Mike Baker. Awesome band.

Anyway, my favourite progressive metal band, favourite metal band, and favourite band are all Seventh Wonder.

to me, the best prog metal bands are (not in order) :Queensryche,Crimson Glory
(their first 2 cd) ,Fates Warning,Pain of salvation,Redemption,Vanden plas,Shadow gallery,Ayreon,Dream Theater,SX,Rush. If I had to choose the best prog metal reocords,here they are:
Operation:mincrime
Tiranny (S Gallery)
Entropia,one hour by the cncrete lake,perfect element,remedy lane (POS)
Snow (S Beard)
Perfect simmetry (F Warning)
Snowfall on judgemnt day (Redemption)
Beyond daylight (Vanden plas)
dwot (SX)
Universal migrator both cd (Ayreon)
Images and words
A plasant shade og grey ( F Warning)
Whirlwind (Transatlantic)
The art of navigating by the stars (Sieges even)

Hmm. Atleast there's this one a bit more unknown but incredible Swedish guy, Dan Swanö, that might be interesting if you don't like drawn-out and boring music or vocalists using a crotch squelcher.

Nightingale - Nightfall Overture
Slightly on gothic metal side, kinda like Sentenced would've gone prog. Awesome vocalist. Must-hear songs from this band imo are the title track on this album and "Trial And Error" on the newest.

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Avoid if you don't enjoy cookie monster vocals. Kinda proggy melodeath here. This guy has played all the instruments on this album aswell as done all the vocals and production by himself.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Prog deathmetal. If you like Opeth, you'll be totally blown away by this band and album. Dan's death vocals are actually better than Åkerfeldt's imo.

+ All these can be found on Spotify! :kickass:

i REALLY LIKE dAN,i've got all Nightingale's even if I preferir "The breathing shadow" and "White darkness",he's one of the most underestimated talent in
music along with bands like Ritual ,Karmakanic,Kaipa.Arjen Lucassen chose him
for "Star one victims of the modern age" ,and he did good.I have also a cd of his first band, Unicorn if I remember well.

This topic is essentially a matter of taste and opinion. You could ask 100
people and get 100 different answers. That being said, this thread is great
because I have discovered some awesome bands that I had never heard of.
Thank you to some of you for that!!!

My favorites are SYMPHONY X, (Where is the new CD???????)
VANDEN PLAS, who are outstanding, ADAGIO, also outstanding, and
DREAM THEATER. I don't know if it's prog metal, but I really like what
RUSSELL ALLEN and JORN LANDE have done.

As far as CDs:

V: A New Mythology Suite / SYMPHONY X
Christ O / VANDEN PLAS
Sanctus Ignis / ADAGIO
Awake / DREAM THEATER
Conflict and Dreams / CAIRO
Snow / SPOCK'S BEARD
2112 / RUSH
Isolate / CIRCUS MAXIMUS