The Best Progressive Metal Bands

Used is part of a concept.
I do love the song regardless, but try Morning on Earth. How anybody can consider it anything but beautiful, is beyond me.
The album from front to back is just awesome, and Gildenlow has one of the best voices... ever.
From their new album, the song Sisters is once again, simply beautiful.
I don't expect everybody to like PoS, but insulting their music is not cool, imo.
For those that prefer heavier songs, One Hour by the Concrete Lake is a better choice for an album.

Hmm. Atleast there's this one a bit more unknown but incredible Swedish guy, Dan Swanö, that might be interesting if you don't like drawn-out and boring music or vocalists using a crotch squelcher.

Nightingale - Nightfall Overture
Slightly on gothic metal side, kinda like Sentenced would've gone prog. Awesome vocalist. Must-hear songs from this band imo are the title track on this album and "Trial And Error" on the newest.

Dan Swanö - Moontower
Avoid if you don't enjoy cookie monster vocals. Kinda proggy melodeath here. This guy has played all the instruments on this album aswell as done all the vocals and production by himself.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson
Prog deathmetal. If you like Opeth, you'll be totally blown away by this band and album. Dan's death vocals are actually better than Åkerfeldt's imo.

+ All these can be found on Spotify! :kickass:
All rockin' good albums. Check out Odyssey - Reinventing The Past

Did someone actually diss Room V? I'm speechless.
Shadow Gallery has got to be one of the most boring bands imo. DESPITE the fact that their topic materials rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6tOZfdMheI

Who would defend this? Nu metal should have just died in the 90s

Let's get some of the good stuff in here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7fIE-bmCvg
Interesting as I would have flipped that backwards: POS > Psych Waltz. Actually a lot of bands > PW.

Man I dont see how anyone can hate on Digital Ghosts. I can understand some of their older stuff being boring (which sometimes I think so too) but Digital Ghosts is just a masterpiece and is increadibly well written.

I do love the song regardless, but try Morning on Earth. How anybody can consider it anything but beautiful, is beyond me.
The album from front to back is just awesome, and Gildenlow has one of the best voices... ever.
I don't expect everybody to like PoS, but insulting their music is not cool, imo.
For those that prefer heavier songs, One Hour by the Concrete Lake is a better choice for an album.

I totally agree with you. PoS is not for everyone. It requires much more than a simple taste for technic instrument playing and heavy riffs. It requires sensibility, intelligence, emotions, social and political awareness and much, much more than that. It is dark, heavy, light, deep, envolving, it grows on you slowly. I thought Dream Theater was the best band on earth 'till I bought PoS' "The Perfect Element" after reading a review. At first I was like "what the hell is this?" but after a few listenings I was completely blown away. I just had to know more. Now I have the whole discography on cd and each album didn't go down easily at first (except "Remedy Lane"). This is one of those rare bands that grows inside you slowly but each and every time you listen to you like it even more than before, like you discover some new thing, some new feeling. There are no limits for their geneality nor for their music as they have no boundaries for music styles. They just let it flow naturally, from pop music to ethnic, crossing through cabaret or Broadway, always keeping that prog metal atmosphere and great, intelligent lyrics performed by the best singer I know. And believe me: I know a lot! Genius!

Couldn't have said it better myself!
I agree that a lot of their music takes time to grow on you, but there are some albums I loved right off the bat.
Remedy Lane, Be, and Road Salt were growers for me.
PE, 12:5, One Hour, and Entropia I liked immediately (I picked up Entropia late, so I was more adept to their style by then).
I'm not a huge fan of Scarsick, but it does have some decent tracks. I feel the same about it now as when I first heard it.

I like Room V by Shadow Gallery. I can see why some would find it boring, though.

I totally agree with you. PoS is not for everyone. It requires much more than a simple taste for technic instrument playing and heavy riffs. It requires sensibility, intelligence, emotions, social and political awareness and much, much more than that. It is dark, heavy, light, deep, envolving, it grows on you slowly. I thought Dream Theater was the best band on earth 'till I bought PoS' "The Perfect Element" after reading a review. At first I was like "what the hell is this?" but after a few listenings I was completely blown away. I just had to know more. Now I have the whole discography on cd and each album didn't go down easily at first (except "Remedy Lane"). This is one of those rare bands that grows inside you slowly but each and every time you listen to you like it even more than before, like you discover some new thing, some new feeling. There are no limits for their geneality nor for their music as they have no boundaries for music styles. They just let it flow naturally, from pop music to ethnic, crossing through cabaret or Broadway, always keeping that prog metal atmosphere and great, intelligent lyrics performed by the best singer I know. And believe me: I know a lot! Genius!

This is making puke in my mouth, a LOT! :Smokedev: :heh:

Still to this day cannot stand PoS...

That makes two of us.

:Smokedev: Cool, I knew I wasn't alone, and sometimes I still can't let these kinds of threads go. In all seriousness, whatever floats yer boat, be it GaGa, PoS, Johnny Cash, whatever. Life is too short to bicker about music. I just couldn't stop myself from raining on the lovefest parade :heh:

Fuck yeah to Postulate. Psychotic Waltz were their own genre in the early nineties and it's a good thing they're back at least for a while. Great songwriters to boot... my closet favourite album of theirs is "Bleeding" and only two of the songs off of it are longer than 4 minutes.

Pain Of Salvation have become ridiculous and obsolete ever since it's been D. Gildenlöw and nobody else.

Psychotic Waltz doesn't sound like music I'd enjoy either, judging by that one song... The PoS track is quite awesome though.

Several years ago, I thought progressive metal was pretty much great by default, cause I found a couple of cool bands like Symphony X and Opeth. Then I realized that I was being silly and that there's just as much shit within prog metal as any other genre.

This is making puke in my mouth, a LOT! :Smokedev: :heh:

Still to this day cannot stand PoS...

Your loss, man. Not everybody is blessed with good taste OR respect for other's preferences, lol. However I understand and respect the tastes of people like yourself. Anyway, my post's intention is to describe my feelings for a band many people might not know, as I take someone else's post about a band I don't know to get to know it. Normally, a prog metal fan is open minded enough to hear all music styles. Taste is a matter of feelings. Whatever makes you rock. Oh, testosterone plays a part too, eheh. Because I don't like Justin Bieber that doesn't mean I should feel some kind of hate for the kid. Get the message?

I was only kidding with the nu metal comment. I really have no problem with them - just not a fan myself. Although I found Disco Queen really funny and entertaining. :loco:

And Seventh Wonder is really damn good for a modern DT-school prog metal band. Other than Fates and SX, I'm not sure who in the field I'd put above them right now. They're a bit overblown like all bands in the genre, but pretty cool music regardless. I'm begrudgingly warming up to them.

Psychotic Waltz are nu metal. On a good day.

Psychotic Waltz is Black Sabbath + Watchtower + Fates Warning + the beginnings of grunge

And formed their style before nu metal existed! IM SO MAD RIGHT NOW :heh:

No but seriously, check out the guitar harmonies on the title track to Into the Everflow and if you still have doubts, I don't know what to say!

Last edited by a moderator: