Open me up to a world of progressive metal

obsoleet

New Metal Member
May 23, 2004
Baltimore
www.fistbox.com
Its so true that a majority US is uncultured in what good music is. I've been diving into the progressive metal/neoclassical (whatever you may call it) and I'm looking for more bands making this insanly good, and very inspirational music.

I have nine dream theater cds, and thought it doesnt get much better. Accidently stumbled accross some symphony x and it blew me away and raised the question, what else am i missing out on.

Can someone hook me up with maybe a list of bands?

obsoleet said:
Its so true that a majority US is uncultured in what good music is. I've been diving into the progressive metal/neoclassical (whatever you may call it) and I'm looking for more bands making this insanly good, and very inspirational music.

I have nine dream theater cds, and thought it doesnt get much better. Accidently stumbled accross some symphony x and it blew me away and raised the question, what else am i missing out on.

Welcome to the Forum. If you go back thru the Forum, this topic has been covered quite a bit, many good bands mentioned and talked about, such as Kamelot, Adagio, Angra, to name a few. IMO, Symphony X is the best you'll find on this planet, and every CD is special, as are their live performances. So, you're missing out on a lot if you don't have all their CDs !

you shouldnt be without both adagio cds. andromeda, ayreon, power of omens, and time requiem (their really neo-classical) are some others. welcome.

I've also been a sucker for progressive/neoclassical stuff lately, I'm looking to discover some new bands as well. However, I don't believe any of them can top Symphony X :)

I just started listening to Pagan's Mind a little bit, they're pretty cool.

NP: Pagan's Mind - The Seven Sacred Promises

obsoleet said:

You should check out Evergrey. They're like prog/power, but very good.

Alright, not all of these bands are particularly "prog" by definition, but they kick major ass, and since yer new to this genre you should like them. Also note, some of these bands WILL be repeats:

Adagio
angra
Andromeda
Pain if Salvation (most people either love them or hate em)
Wuthering Heights
Kamelot
Children of Bodom (if you can tolerate death vocals)
Ayreon
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth (Matt Barlow era)
Dreamscape
Tarot
Spastic Ink
Evergrey
Planet X (instrumental prog)

and
Liquid Tension Experiment (this is an instrumental side project featuring DT members: J. Petrucci, J. Ruddess and M. Portnoy , BETTER than DT IMO)

That should do it, i'll update it further if I forget any

a couple of my personal favorites (other than Sym-X, of course) are ARK and Vanden Plas. ARK's "Burn the Sun" and Vanden Plas' "Beyond Daylight" are both stellar CDs with killer production, songwriting, and performances.

And no one into Symphony-X should be without "Star One", either the studio CD or the "Live on Earth" DVD. Russ Allen OWNS on these, as do all of the other performers.

and you can check out a couple of low-bandwidth versions of tunes from my CD, if you like.

http://www.lesliespring.com/seaofstars.mp3

http://www.lesliespring.com/ancientsigns.mp3

but DEFINITELY check out some ARK and VP, and the Star One stuff.

I'm sad to see only one other person has mentioined Blind Guardian. I can't speak for everyone else, but I recommend Nightfall In Middle-Earth and Night At The Opera. That's just me. Oh, and Evergrey too, get some of that.

....may I add SYMPHORCE and BRAINSTORM Andy's vocals are supreme highs/lows, melodic, aggressive and powerful! There's a lot of melody in the music on Twice Second, Symphorce's latest release, heavy riffin' throughout and an all around great listen! check it out:

I've actually heard that Adagio is a very technical band but their songs are just pretty blah.

Why has no one mentioned Threshold? I just bought the Critical Mass album and they're now right up there with Symphony X and Dream Theatre for me. I can't wait till next week when I'm gonna order the live DVD and the rest of their albums. :Spin: