Any fans of other metal styles besides progressive/power metal?

freakchylde said:
Yep, I'm a Changelings kid. I usually hit every concert of theirs I could, when they were still doing stage shows. It's nice to be all over the map, keeps me from being bored.

Yep. I really miss The Changelings, too -- during their heyday I thought they were Atlanta's best/most-talented band regardless of genre (metal they weren't :)). I've seen some good violinists live, but Paul Mercer is among the very best I've seen. :worship:

I helped book the Changelings' side project Cats From Saturn at Dragon*Con last year (http://www.dragoncon.org), but it wasn't quite the same.

You should check out Within Tempation and Evensong if you haven't already.

nightwish58 said:
I have to be honest, I am very close-minded when it comes to music, howvere, I am finding myself getting more and more into the bands that have female singers with sporadic death vocals throughout such as After Forever and Epica. Epica actually blew me away! I think they released an incredibly strong debut album with a perfect mix of clean and death vocals. And for some reason, the death vocals are not abrasive to me and actually fit the music really well.

nightwish58 said:
I have to be honest, I am very close-minded when it comes to music, howvere, I am finding myself getting more and more into the bands that have female singers with sporadic death vocals throughout such as After Forever and Epica. Epica actually blew me away! I think they released an incredibly strong debut album with a perfect mix of clean and death vocals. And for some reason, the death vocals are not abrasive to me and actually fit the music really well.

ARCH ENEMY IS A GREAT BAND WITH A FEMALE SINGER, YOU SHOULD CHECK THEM OUT. CHECK OUT THE SONG "THEY WILL RISE" ITS GREAT.

I imagine lots of people who attend progpower like pretty much any kind of metal - I like some old school black and death metal myself, Chuck Schuldiner being the guy who made me want to play guitar. I just can't get into the scenester bands, all the newer ultra-br00tal and kvlt necro this and that which all tend to sound exactly alike, although lots of people enjoy that. I like old country music, bluegrass, some acoustic stuff like Tom Waits, heavily into Irish traditional/folk and celtic music...old rock and roll like Elvis and Roy Orbison, lots of crap.

Creeps said:
I have 2 albums, and so far I like everything that I hear including their performance last year... I hope that counts :headbang:

Ha ha ha I am just joking with you Creeps. You just have ended up being in many of the same threads I do for a long time. I remember you thinking the bass was a little too overpowering at PPIV though. Of course, from my position right in front of the stage, the PA just blew past me.

Bryant

Pellaz said:
Whew, I'm another one of those who's all over the map. Everything from Cryptopsy to The Changelings, Dead Can Dance to Dimmu Borgir, Ozric Tentacles to Opeth (or Old Man's Child), Faith and the Muse to The Forsaken..... My show on SeismicRadio is called the Eclectic Collective for a reason. :)

I'd say my tastes have drifted down the left-hand path too (the left hand has always been the "evil" hand throughout history), and I'm no longer as much into power- and prog- as I am into death- and black. (Or "extreme" metal, which covers a lot of territory.)

THIS IS THE GREATEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED IN UPSTATE NY. THE AGGRESSIVE MUSIC FESTIVAL..... SINCE I HAVE TO DRIVE AN HOUR AND A HALF FOR OZZFEST, FOR THE PEOPLE THAT CANT GET TO OZZFEST THIS FESTIVAL A NICE 30 MIN. FROM ALBANY, ON TOP OF THAT THE BANDS ON SAT. BILL ARE ALL ON A OFF DAY FROM OZZFEST, WITCH MEANS THERE PLAYING HERE!!!! SLIPKNOT, SLAYER, HATEBREED, AND GOD FORBID. PLUS THERE IS A SECOND STAGE FOR THE FIRST DAY.

DAY 2: IS WHERE ILL BE, SINCE I AM GOING TO OZZFEST. HEADLININS IS SOULFLY!!!! REST OF LINEUP INCLUDES.... KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, SHADOWSFALL, DEICIDE, SICK OF IT ALL, AGNOSTIC FRONT, SUFFOCATION, CONVERGE, CANDIRIA, SKINLESS, TERROR, AS I LAY DYING..... AND A FEW UNKNOWN BANDS. WHAT A DAY FOR METAL AND HARDCORE, NICE BLEND I MUST SAY...... http://aggressivemusicfestival.com/

I love all the styles. My favorite non-prog/power bands are Borknagar, edge of sanity, diabolical masqeurade, bloodbath, vintersorg, Opeth, finntroll, emperor, zyklon, arcturus, decapitated, children of bodom, in flames, arch enemy, soilwork, mercenary, at the gates, amon amarth, old man's child, satyricon, dimmu borgir, burzum, darkthrone, goatwhore, cynic, grimfist, immortal, hypocrisy, the black dahlia murder, behemoth, susperia, gardenian, after forever, Death, control denied, burning inside, melecesh, dark tranquility, omnium gatherium, darkane, exhuimed, carcass, lamb of god, battlelore, nightrage, hate eternal, suffocation, strapping young lad, hearse, peccatum, and these are all the ones off the top of my head. Anything Vintersorg or Dan Swano does are always my fav, both of those guys just write such damned good music. I heard Diabolical Masqeurade is working on a new one, with Dan Swano still working with them it is just going to be another masterpiece. The new Bloodbath should also be brilliant with Peter Tatgren nowing taking over the vocals from Mikael.

some stuff i listen to other than prog/power:bodom,inflames,evanescence,jean sibelius,antonin dvorak,holst,miles davis,pfm,genesis,yes,KING CRIMSON,zappa,BLACKMORE'S NIGHT,stravinsky,al dimeola,shakti,beethoven,elp,anyone's daughter.