Metal Zines

So, some of you might not know this since it doesn't really occur with prog/power metal (more on that later), but....the printed word is still very alive and well in metal. Yeah, Metal Maniacs is gone and Revolver sucks as much as it always has, but it's not hard at all to find QUALITY fan-made zines these days. Just since the beginning of 2012, I've picked up new issues of Horrible Eyes, Isten, Chips & Beer (the best metal magazine out there right now -- newest issue has a 30+ page King Diamond feature), Compilation of Death, and am expecting many more to be released soon. They're great for people who are fans of metal, the printed word, and intricate artwork.

However, for the most part, these do focus on black/death/thrash/doom/etc, which brings me to this: why are there now power/prog metal zines? Do people not enjoy reading interviews or record reviews for these genres? Are there no fans interested in putting something together? Bands unwilling to give interviews? Too close to 'extreme' metal and punk? It'd be really neat to see something pop up one of these days with a definitive Blind Guardian primer/interview or a massive Rhapsody interview....

POWERPLAY HARD ROCK AND METAL MAGAZINE from the UK. buy it at Barnes&Noble.

Classic Rock Presents Prog magazine (printed) features a lot of progressive metal bands not just prog rock, and sometimes even power/symphonic metal bands (they've featured Nightwish, Within Temptation, etc.). I subscribe to it. It's from the UK but you can also find copies in Barnes & Nobles (it's about $15/issue if you buy it separately, so it's cheaper to subscribe ...about $110/year to get it in your snail mailbox or $50/year for the iPad version).
Edit: It also comes with a free compilation CD.