Metal Zines

dcowboys311

Sep 13, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So, some of you might not know this since it doesn't really occur with prog/power metal (more on that later), but....the printed word is still very alive and well in metal. Yeah, Metal Maniacs is gone and Revolver sucks as much as it always has, but it's not hard at all to find QUALITY fan-made zines these days. Just since the beginning of 2012, I've picked up new issues of Horrible Eyes, Isten, Chips & Beer (the best metal magazine out there right now -- newest issue has a 30+ page King Diamond feature), Compilation of Death, and am expecting many more to be released soon. They're great for people who are fans of metal, the printed word, and intricate artwork.

However, for the most part, these do focus on black/death/thrash/doom/etc, which brings me to this: why are there now power/prog metal zines? Do people not enjoy reading interviews or record reviews for these genres? Are there no fans interested in putting something together? Bands unwilling to give interviews? Too close to 'extreme' metal and punk? It'd be really neat to see something pop up one of these days with a definitive Blind Guardian primer/interview or a massive Rhapsody interview....

Because prog/power metal fans have jobs.

It would be cool to have such a thing. Lamentations of the Flame Princess used to cover a good wide range.

If the sub genres in metal were broken down into mini subcultures (using term loosely here) then you would see that the prog/power community is vastly different from the hardcore fans of thrash, doom, etc. Prog power stuff and the "scene" seems to come off as a more go to the bike shop buy a bunch of new Harley gear for the weekend oppose to actually living within the culture. Still a part of it but on the outskirts. This is not dissing them (this time) just the way it is. The fan bas in almost every other branch of metal tends to prefer to hang on to the "old ways" how of things were done..

Research has shown that fans of progressive and power metal earn higher salaries than those who listen to death and black metal. Okay, there hasn't been any research, but I think there's some truth to it. I also think that prog and power metal fans love their music, but they don't personally identify with the emotion of the music, as much as death and black metal fans.

That said, I'd love to see a good magazine on power and/or (and likely preferably) prog/experimental metal.

Having done a zine in the past I can honestly say it's a labor of love that takes a lot of time and effort and the reward isn't monetary but in the satisfaction of meeting new bands and listening to new music. There might be some truth to the comment about "prog/Power fans have jobs". Once my family came along my priorities changed to supporting the bands and scene to supporting my family, taking care of the house/yard etc.

I can't help but think the advent of the internet has taken some of the appeal off the zines as well. Back in the day every country had tons of zines that were quality reads. Now you can read up on the bands via myspace, facebook, or some of the online zines such as Metal Storm, Hard Rock Haven, Progressive Rock & Progressive Metal Zine among others.

SCREAM is one of the best zines around today, and it focuses on good music period, doesn't matter what genre, or sub genres, it gives all an equal share. Hell they even had a 3 page spread on HAYSEED DIXIE.

1. It is hard to print a zine and expect to charge for it - no one "pays" for a zine anymore.

2. Hasn't everyone gone digital promo now? This might have a hand in it too as actually receiving a hard copy disc was one of the perks.

3. Always been surprised more have not gone the PDF route.

4. Half of the purpose of a zine was give the reader the written word about a bands recording, but the 'Net now gives the ability to listen first - hard to beat that.

5. Not sure people are as interested anymore in what a band has to say - hopefully wrong on this account.

6. Different generation, different mentality.

1. It is hard to print a zine and expect to charge for it - no one "pays" for a zine anymore.

2. Hasn't everyone gone digital promo now? This might have a hand in it too as actually receiving a hard copy disc was one of the perks.

3. Always been surprised more have not gone the PDF route.

4. Half of the purpose of a zine was give the reader the written word about a bands recording, but the 'Net now gives the ability to listen first - hard to beat that.

5. Not sure people are as interested anymore in what a band has to say - hopefully wrong on this account.

6. Different generation, different mentality.

I'm rather confused about some of these points. People "pay" for zines all the time -- just take one quick glance at distros like Hell's Headbangers, Analog Worship, Nuclear War Now, Nuclear Winter, Planet Metal, etc. Do you think they would stock said zines if nobody bought them? I certainly didn't fly over to their distribution centers and steal them. And, if nobody paid for zines, I'd like to know where all the sold out zines I want are, since I've been hunting after them pretty hard.

While I'm 100% in agreement with you about the ability to listen before you buy, people still enjoy reading reviews. What's the difference between reading a review on this board and reading a review in a zine? Only the medium. Nothing is stopping anyone from reading a review in a zine and checking it out online...I do it all the time.

You're probably right about the 'different generation' thing, but zines are still a pretty important part of underground 'extreme' metal culture. They haven't gone anywhere and are still crucial to 'breaking' certain bands. I'm curious why they haven't caught on in the prog/power world.

People "pay" for zines all the time

But how many are like you and search out a print zine? I would say not many - especially in the States.

And yes distro's stock zines, but what is the count? Three - which is why you have trouble finding them because they are "sold out?"

Going straight to the individual who is publishing said zine not work out?

You get my respect though for at least still trying to support the print.

zines are still a pretty important part of underground 'extreme' metal culture

That kind of answers the thread question right there. Different mentality, different breed.

Powerplay magazine is a great read. Has all the different genre's of metal and rock. Comes from Great Britian. Here in Milwaukee I get it at Barnes and Noble. Check it out:headbang:

But how many are like you and search out a print zine? I would say not many - especially in the States.

And yes distro's stock zines, but what is the count? Three - which is why you have trouble finding them because they are "sold out?"

Going straight to the individual who is publishing said zine not work out?

You get my respect though for at least still trying to support the print.

That kind of answers the thread question right there. Different mentality, different breed.

I obviously can't say for sure exactly how many people still buy them, but there are enough so that there are too many zines to keep up with. They wouldn't keep getting published if nobody bought them.

And, yeah, that's what I want to know!! Why are they still popular with death/black metal but never caught on with prog/power? What's the reason for the different mentality?