How to appreciate Death Metal

Power/Folk/death: Probably the newest form of death metal to date. Coined by bands like Children Of Bodom, Kalmah, Ensiferum, Manegarm, Skyfire, Norther, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Wintersun etc.. this genre employs death growls with folk or power metal (or both) influences.

Don't harass me about my spelling/grammar. I'm dead tired tonight...lol

i'd consider newer Bodom (HCDR and especially AYDY) to be more thrashmetal than anything else (and to me, I hear tons of thrash elements in their sound anyway, much more so than say, Wintersun, which is definitely very black/folk influenced), but I guess thats kinda nitpicking...

Some OUTSTANDING posts in this thread today. Y'all give yourself a hand or something. :worship: :lol: Special kudos to Dan R.

Derek, I think the Beginner's Guide to Death Metal has already been written....earlier today. :kickass:

Oh, whoever mentioned Mors Principium Est....I know 'em, like 'em and have played 'em on WREKage. Time to play them again. I'll revisit Insomnium, and check out Skyfire.

Some OUTSTANDING posts in this thread today. Y'all give yourself a hand or something. :worship: :lol: Special kudos to Dan R.

Derek, I think the Beginner's Guide to Death Metal has already been written....earlier today. :kickass:

Oh, whoever mentioned Mors Principium Est....I know 'em, like 'em and have played 'em on WREKage. Time to play them again. I'll revisit Insomnium, and check out Skyfire.

Yeah, that was me who mentioned MPE, Skyfire and Insomnium. I suggest you check out Insomnium's first release "In The Halls Of Awaiting" or their new realease (can't remember the title off-head). As for Skyfire, check out "Spectral" or "Mind Revolution"

Here is an idea for a new way to enjoy troo death metal art:

cdexplo.jpg

I got this picture from here.

Here is another idea which I got from here.

It's best to keep an open mind about these things. :headbang:

Don't joke around like that. I know people who never heard death metal before and of course, they mock bands like Dark Tranquillity, but they could tell that there's a significant difference between them and a band like Cannibal Corpse. However in case you REALLY don't know:

Traditional death metal: (also referred to as "Floridian death metal" since it came from [but isn't exclusive to]... suprise suprise.. Florida) The riffs are usually more straightfoward. The music is highly thrash influence, and the vocals sound more like a roar than a growl. Bands to take note: Morbid Angel, Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Possessed, Vader, etc.

brutal/slam death: Mostly originating from the New York area ... basically death metal with lots of muddy, low tuned chugga chugga riffs, poor production quality, and a really low growl that almost sounds like the singer is burping. Lyrical themes are mostly gore-related. Sometimes the bands can add "slam riffs", a euphemism for breakdown, really. This is pretty much the heaviest form of metal that exists today. I personally do not like this genre. Bands to take note: Disgorge, Mortician, Malignancy, Dehumanized, Devourment, Skinless (This is the exception. I love this band), etc.

Deathcore: Probably the worst form of death metal in my opinion. Hardcore and death metal combined.. No further explanation. Bands to take note: Despised Icon, Dying Fetus (newer), Job For A Cowboy, etc.

Grindcore: similar to the above two variations of death metal, albeit with more of a focus on shorter sparse songs. There are Grindcore bands that play solid grindcore like Circle Of Dead Children, Nasum, Rotten Sound, Brutal Truth.. etc and then there are death/grind bands like Coldworker (AMAZING BAND), Abuse etc...

Tech death: One of my favorite variations of death metal next to prog/death, melodic death, and doom death. Genre started with Cynic, Athiest, Death, and some say even Watchtower (musically, anyway). No real explanation is needed except that the genre relies on the most talent of the death metal genre. You know you're listening to a tech death band when you hear lots of intense, intricate riffing in a death metal song. Some tech death bands are more progressive (like Into Eternity, who are really prog/death, but with more death influence than prog) and some can be straight up death metal with really intense riffs. Bands to take note: Cryptopsy, Death, Athiest, Cynic, Decapitated, Severed Savior, Decrepit Birth, Spawn Of Possession, Aeon, Necrophagist, The Faceless... etc...

Melodic death: my absolute favorite kind of death metal. Traditional death metal, with that classic higher pitched roar (sometimes a powerful growl, but nothing gutteral like the aformentioned variations) but also Iron Maiden/Boston/(early)Metallica like guitar harmonies. Sometimes keyboards and progressive influence is thrown into the mix. Bands to note: Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates, Gates Of Ishtar, The Duskfall (old), Ablaze My Sorrow, In Flames (old), Dissection (albeit with black metal influences), The Wake, etc

Blackened Death: Death metal with black metal influence. Bands to note: Destroyer 666, Dissection etc..

Death/thrash: Death metal with more of a thrash influence than traditional death metal. Bands to note: Possessed, Deceased etc...

Doom/death: Began with Paradise Lost. Doom death is basically doom metal (and all of its variations like stoner doom/prog doom/funeral doom/and melodic doom) with death growls. Bands to note: Paradise Lost (old), Moonspell (some), Rapture, Slumber, Uaral, My Dying Bride (some), Withering, Swallow The Sun..etc

Prog/death: Death metal with progressive influence. Of course, lots of progressive bands require skilled musicianship and melody, so sometimes these bands can interlink with technical and even (but rarely, because melodic death has a unique sound) melodic death variations. Bands to note: Wolverine (old), Opeth, Into Eternity, Orphaned Land, etc...

Power/Folk/death: Probably the newest form of death metal to date. Coined by bands like Children Of Bodom, Kalmah, Ensiferum, Manegarm, Skyfire, Norther, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Wintersun etc.. this genre employs death growls with folk or power metal (or both) influences.

Don't harass me about my spelling/grammar. I'm dead tired tonight...lol

Dude Kudos :kickass: Nice wrap up and some great bands were mentioned. Nice work here :headbang:

I offer that story as a lead in to a question...what DOES distiguish bands in death metal? I've been to the milwaukee metalfest many times and will say that I can never tell a HUGE difference in the music from one band to the next. I'm NOT trashing the genre at all, but looking for an informed answer. What's something I could look for to distiguish Nile from Dark Tranquility from Death from Cannibal Corpse from Eyehategod from...etc etc. Is it production? Are there minor details in the singing? What's up?

I'm going to try my hand at answering this also, and I hope it helps HeavenlyCall, even though someone's already given their answer. And now that you've said you meant Darkane.

Out of those particular bands you mentioned, I think if you just gave each a good listen, you'd be able to tell.

Eyehategod sounds WAY different than any of those bands, so you'd be able to pick them out first. They use slow tempo, higher vocals, and aren't death metal. :)

I think you'd probably find Cannibal Corpse and Nile to sound the most similar out of that bunch, they're the heaviest. Nile uses more blast beats, but both are pretty technical. In my opinion, CC's drums are kinda boring, but both are good bands in their own right and style (Yes they have different styles!)

Darkane uses melodic riffs and clean vocals sometimes. Not as dark as Nile or CC

Death.. Hmm, Death is Death! All their albums sound different so it's hard to give a general description of them.

Anyway I don't think I gave as much insight as I was hoping to, but hopefully you can use these posts as a start. Or you can hit me up on Aim or something and I'll send you individual songs to help out.