Noob would really appreciate advice.

ElementAd

New Metal Member
Apr 29, 2010
Wigan UK
www.myspace.com
Hi all

I would appreciate some advice from those of you that have done quite a bit of mixing and touched on mastering.

What i've attached here is a rough mix done in logic. Once bounced i've added a preset master and tweeked slightly.

Once the albums done and were happy with everything we will be sending it away to be mastered properly (minus the crappy logic preset master plug in), however as mentioned i've roughly mastered this once just for the sake of hearing it with some punch etc.

Can anyone give any advice on the EQ and the way things sit in the mix and how to improve.

Please be harsh, i know its not half as good as some of the mixes put on here and i would really appreciate the help in making this sound better.

Heres the link.

UPDATED 11-6-10

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7841483/ELEMENT-REVOLUTION%20DENIED.mp3

Thanks in advance

Adam

Thanks for taking the time to listen.
I know exactly what you mean. The bass has been a difficult one to get anywhere near right with this track because the bassist is playing his parts on the upper end of his bass. Then when you get to the middle section of the song and the end section (for example around 6:52) he moves down to the bottom end of his bass and it really comes through the mix a lot better.
Any advice on a fix for that other than get the bassist to re-write his parts using the lower end of the neck/frets?

Sounds like you could widen the floor toms up a bit to the right. Rack toms sound left, but the floor toms sound pretty centered. The vocal doubling is a cool concept, but it seems so overboard that the song becomes kinda confusing.

Cheers for the comments Chris

I'll have a look at panning the toms as you mentioned and also the vocals, listening back i may have gone a bit OTT with the delay on the vocals seeing as theres also doubling going on as you mentioned making it a bit confusing. I will have a look at tidying that up.

Thanks

Ammended the vocals and took a load of compression off. Still forced it a lot during the preset master (hence clipping slightly), but i'm not too worried about that as i'll be sending off to be mastered.

Any other comments about the mix would be greatly appreciated?

Anyone?

Thanks in advance

Ad