Folk - ?
Doom - Katatonia
Heavy - Black Sabbath
Speed - same as thrash
Gothic - My Dying Bride
Progressive - Not really
Gothenburg/melodeath - Hate them

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Opeth aren't progressive because of their drawn out songs. They're progressive because of their liberal use of different styles in their music, very obviously progressive guitar riffing, strange song structures, and a healthy dose of uniqueness. Please learn your genres of metal before making silly comments like the one above.
I disagree, but I also disagree in the misnomer "prog" metal, because to me progressive means to push new boundaries of music (you know, like the old proggies from the 1970's), something that most "prog" metal bands do not do. Opeth has pretty distinct riffs I'll give them that, but strange song structures? How do you figure? They do one section at a time, most of which are just cut and pasted together. That's not strange at all, that's just adding another dimension (as in length) to typical pop structure. Also I'm not sure how unique they are outside of their riff structure.
V.V.V.V.V. said:
Your lack of musical knowledge astounds me to the point of feeling the need to prove you incorrect.
:lol: That is so awesome...

Death Metal - Mithras, Pungent Stench, Gorguts, Nocturnus, Kataklysm (Houde-era only!) Cryptopsy...

Doom/Death - Morgion, My Dying Bride, Anathema (Pentecost III)

Black Metal- Burzum (the one and only)

Thrash Metal - Holy Terror, Slayer, Sabbat (U.K)

Viking - Enslaved, Einherjer.

Haha you're trying way too hard to agitate me over an internet forum. Way to go buddy.

NAD said:
I disagree, but I also disagree in the misnomer "prog" metal, because to me progressive means to push new boundaries of music (you know, like the old proggies from the 1970's), something that most "prog" metal bands do not do. Opeth has pretty distinct riffs I'll give them that, but strange song structures? How do you figure? They do one section at a time, most of which are just cut and pasted together. That's not strange at all, that's just adding another dimension (as in length) to typical pop structure. Also I'm not sure how unique they are outside of their riff structure.

Typical progressive metal is just metal that sounds derivative of the old-school prog acts (who were actually progressive at the time). The term has become watered down over the ages, and refers to bands such as Andromeda and Dream Theater who make use of primarily clean vocals, instrumental "wankery" particularly in the guitar riffs and solos, (optional, yet common) keyboard passages, and technical (or pseudo-technical) time signature shifts. Real progressive metal (such as maudlin of the Well) is hard to come by these days, and is usually just referred to as "avant-garde" (99% of the time, falsely) by everybody. Opeth are pretty unique. Have you ever heard a band wth such astounding musicianship and changes from acoustic to electric in abrupt points in time like them? I challenge you to find a band that sounds exactly like Opeth, and until then I regard them as "pretty fucking unique."

EternalEnemy said:
Power
Thrash
Death
Black
Viking
Folk
Doom
Heavy
Speed
Gothic
Progressive
Gothenburg/melodeath

I don't really considered gothic, doom, or viking "genres" of metal per se. They don't have a unique sound, but rather a unique attitude.

What's the difference between speed and thrash?

AlphaTemplar said:
I don't really considered gothic, doom, or viking "genres" of metal per se. They don't have a unique sound, but rather a unique attitude.

What's the difference between speed and thrash?

You have no idea how much I hate you for posting this.

GoD said:
You have no idea how much I hate you for posting this.

lawl

Basically, speed is heavy metal played really fast. Maybe a bit more focus on rhythmic patterns as opposed to melody, somewhat more technical at times, but still similar.

Thrash takes that to a new level, focusing on rhythm and riffage (often at the expense of vocal and melodies and even leads). Also generally more time changes and an angry vibe.

That should clear that up.

EternalEnemy said:
Meaning each metal-genre, and possibly something else. Your three fave death, three fave black, three fave viking, three fave power....

or just 1 or two faves from them

This means you list all, at least all the important, metal genres. Such things as "glam metal" and "symphonic metal" and "epic metal" and all that stuff is not necessary. But folk is still necessary.

Maybe if i list all the ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY GENRES THAT YOU WILL FILL BAND(S) WITH OR YOU WONT FILL AT ALL.

Power
Thrash
Death
Black
Viking
Folk
Doom
Heavy
Speed
Gothic
Progressive
Gothenburg/melodeath

Grindcore, as it is not a metal genre, is not mandatory. But it would be good to list grindcore too.

If someone thinks this thread is annoying, you dont need to post.

The reason why i like to do it this way is that you can easily compare the varying tastes of an individual who likes this and that...does one like this type of death if he or she likes this or that black? If someone is a brutal DM fan, what would be the best/least worst power band for him?

Oh, and regardless wheter you hate some of those genres, the rules apply to you too.

I, of course, wont be saying anything....

Well considering Grindcore orginated from Napalm Death and such, i'd definitely say its a metal genre.

six12dotcom said:
Well considering Grindcore orginated from Napalm Death and such, i'd definitely say its a metal genre.

Well, umm... since when is Napalm Death a metal band?

Black: Negura Bunget, Ashen Light, Dub Buk, Abigor, Moonblood, Deathspell Omega

Death: Arghoslent, Lykathea Aflame, Cephalectomy, Behemoth, Defiled

Thrash: Dark Angel, Nuclear Assault, Coroner, Slayer, Absu (call them black metal all you want, they sound like thrash to me!)

Progressive: Fates Warning, Atheist, Bozzio Levin Stevens, newer Blind Guardian (meaning newer Blind Guardian is progressive, I like all Blind Guardian)

Melodeath: Arsis, Abominant, umm... I'm not a fan of the genre and I can't think of anymore

Power: older Blind Guardian, I would like to check out more power metal, but I slowly get to each genre... If anyone has any truly great power metal bands to recommend, go for it (no Iced Earth, mainstream bullshit)

Gothic: all Gothic metal that I've heard is terrible, but I could be listening to the wrong things

Doom: Candlemass, Morgion, Black Sabbath, St. Vitus

Folk: meaning stuff like Nachtfalke, or more like Agalloch?

Viking: I guess this is where Nachtfalke, Bathory, Enslaved, etc. would go.

Grindcore: Pig Destroyer, Abaddon Incarnate, Napalm Death, Virulence

Some other genres I would add are:

Stoner/Dirt/Desert: Boris, Kyuss, Melvins, Electric Wizard, Sheavy, Sleep

Avant-garde/Experimental Metal: Maudlin of the Well, Kekal, Sigh, !T.O.O.H.!

Metalcore: Between the Buried and Me, Dillenger Escaple Plan, Converge

power....-Blind Guardian,Iced Earth,Hammerfall
all other genres- Iron Maiden, Oldschool Metallica,Pentagram-Mezarkabul

Gothic - Trail of Tears, Theater of Tragedy (old), Sirenia

Power - Nightwish, Avantasia, Rhapsody

Thrash - Kreator, The Crown, Sepultura

Death - Death, Nocturnus, Morbid Angel

Black - Arcturus, Borknagar (Symphonic Black), Mayhem

Viking - Bathory, Vintersorg

Folk - Finntroll

Doom - My Dying Bride, Novembers Doom, Morgion

Heavy - Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden

Speed - Blind Guardian

Progressive - Symphony X, Dream Theater, Winds (Classical Progressive)

Power - Blind Guardian, Helloween, Thy Majestie
Thrash - Sadus, Sodom, Destruction
Death - Arghoslent, The Chasm, Demilich
Black - Moonblood, Nokturnal Mortum, Graveland
Viking - Enslaved, Nachtfalke, Windir
Folk - Primordial, Forefather, Bergthron
Doom - Mourning Beloveth, Arcane Sun, Cathedral
Heavy - Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath
Speed - early Blind Guardian, Grave Digger, Iron Savior
Gothic - Crematory, Lacuna Coil, Katanonia
Progressive - Nevermore, Dissillusion, James Murphy's solo work
Gothenburg/melodeath - Dissection, Dark Tranquillity, At The Gates