Necessary genres of metal

death
melodeath (it really is a genre on it's own)
black
thrash
trad doom
extreme doom
power
trad

another thing one can do is divide it into two genres: extreme and traditional. Extreme is heavier with harsh vocals, and trad is not as heavy and has melodic, clean vocals. This would divide the thrash genre in half, but that would almost make sense in some ways.

Of course, that's why I said causationally. ;) There's obviously a high correlation between Heavy Metal and clean vocals, Death Metal and growls, and Black Metal and shrieks. But the vocals don't dictate the genre, rather the genre dictates (in most instances) the vocals.

Of course, that's why I said causationally. ;) There's obviously a high correlation between Heavy Metal and clean vocals, Death Metal and growls, and Black Metal and shrieks. But the vocals don't dictate the genre, rather the genre dictates (in most instances) the vocals.

:cool:

The main sub-genres of metal:
Heavy
Thrash
Death
Black
Gothic
Doom
Power

Prog is questionable, because basically any genre can be used with the classification of progressive, but on it's own it basically sounds like more complex heavy metal (think Threshold, etc).

Everything other than those main sub-genres I think are basically classifications, not actual sub-sub-genres. For example "Technical Death Metal" technical being an adjective to describe Death Metal.

Folk is also commonly reffered to as a main sub-genre, but again I think that's more of a classification, because all the supposed folk bands I've listened to only have it as an influence, and you can tell that the main sub-genre is usually melodic death metal (Ensiferum, Wintersun) or heavy metal (Finntroll).

edit: Melodic Death Metal is also questionable, because as the name suggests, it's a type of death metal, however, there are so many bands that play this kind of music and it's really developed into it's own distinct style.

Folk is also commonly reffered to as a main sub-genre, but again I think that's more of a classification, because all the supposed folk bands I've listened to only have it as an influence, and you can tell that the main sub-genre is usually melodic death metal (Ensiferum, Wintersun) or heavy metal (Finntroll).

Place Otyg, Storm, and early Empyrium (I've tryed to pigeonhole Empyrium as doom but it doesn't seem right because musically they are not that doomy) into other metal genres. I can't see it being done because they musically don't fit elsewhere.

Place Otyg, Storm, and early Empyrium (I've tryed to pigeonhole Empyrium as doom but it doesn't seem right because musically they are not that doomy) into other metal genres. I can't see it being done because they musically don't fit elsewhere.

I haven't heard those bands :err:

But I'll take your word for it.

Grindcore
Black Metal
Death Metal
Doom

I regularly listen to all of the above genres.

Why are the majority of Doden's posts deleted? Damn, that was confusing at first.

I deleted them because I decided that getting into retarded arguments due to sheer boredom isn't as good an idea in hindsight.

Seriously how the F have some of you came up with this conclusion? It is one of the most stupid things i ever encountered when it comes to music, and i am curious on who was the first wise guy who made this distinction, and everyone is repeating his words.
Bands that are prog closely follow the '60s and '70s style of progressive rock. The use of "prog" signifies links to this era of rock music. Bands that are progressive are doing things that are different and innovative within a genre, but are not really linked directly the progressive rock movement. Most of what could be called progressive within metal today seems to get the avant-garde tag.

As for Opeth, they are basically death metal. Sure, they don't entirely fit into the general death metal description, but there are numerous bands that don't exactly fit in a genre, but come pretty close. Opeth is just much more publicized than many of these bands that are also on the fringes of genres. The point is that they are closer to an established genre than not, eliminating the need for pointless trendy marketing gimmicks like viking metal. Honestly, if a band played "viking metal" but sang about Native Americans, would they be viking metal? Any genre that is so dependent on lyrics is surely not a valid one. Black metal is far from dependent on satanic lyrics, and death metal is far from dependent on lyrics about death.

Bands that are prog closely follow the '60s and '70s style of progressive rock. The use of "prog" signifies links to this era of rock music. Bands that are progressive are doing things that are different and innovative within a genre, but are not really linked directly the progressive rock movement. Most of what could be called progressive within metal today seems to get the avant-garde tag.
Ahahah this is priceless.