Favorite Metal Albums From Major Genres

Death: Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
Thrash: Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Power: Blind Guardian - Tales from the Twilight World
Heavy: Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Doom: Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Folk: Tyr - By The Light of the Northern Star

Honorable Mention: Celtic Frost - Monotheist:headbang:

Considering Onward To Golgotha trumps pretty much every death metal album ever, with the possible exception of Altars Of Madness, Y'ALL BE TRIPPIN

Yeah, FTVOB is very bm oriented but I really wanted to give it a mention since it’s such a superb album and I’ve always seen the first bits of the “epic pagan metal” or “viking metal” or whatever you want to call the later Graveland style first coming through. Probably my favourite Graveland release along with “Thousand Swords”.
As for Agalloch’s “The Mantle” album, it’s a masterpiece and one of my all time favourites, but I had a hard time putting it in one metal subgenre. At any rate I sure prefer it to the more ‘happy’ folk oreinted stuff such as Finntroll and the like.

Oh and I agree, Mortal Throne.. is certainly better than Onward To Golgotha.

Yeah I really struggle with how to categorize stuff like In the Woods, Agalloch, etc. There's a lot of a black metal, but also elements of doom, folk and the later's case, post rock.

Viking metal isn't a real subgenre, much less a major genre omg i am so mad at the inclusion of this viking metal.

Death Metal: Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness / Incantation - Diabolical Conquest

Thrash Metal: Merciless - The Awakening / Metallica - Ride the Lightning

Prog Metal: Alchemist - Organasm / Opeth - My Arms Your Hearse

Doom Metal: Candlemass - Ancient Dreams / Procession - Destroyers of the Faith

NWOBHM: Iron Maiden - Powerslave / Pagan Altar - Mythical and Magical

Power Metal: Angel Dust - Border of Reality / Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings

Gothic Metal: Paradise Lost - Icon / Type O Negative - October Rust

Alternative: Alice in Chains - Dirt / Faith No More - Angel Dust

Impossible to choose from so many options, but here it goes:

Black: Bathory - Under the sign of the black mark
Pagan: Moonsorrow - Suden Uni
NWOBHM: Judas Priest - British Steel
Power: Gamma Ray - Heading for tomorrow
Thrash: Overkill - Ironbound (was going to say Mercyful Fate, but would be a bit debatable whether it's thrash)
Speed: Helloween - Walls of Jericho
Avantgarde/experimental: Negura Bunget - OM
Death: Hypocrisy - Osculum Obscenum
Doom: Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Progressive: Deep purple - Machine Head
Glam: WASP - W.A.S.P.

Death Metal - Altars Of Madness & Onward To Golgotha
Black Metal - Pure Holocaust & De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Doom Metal - Stormcrowfleet
Trash Metal - Hell Awaits
Heavy Metal - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Feelings Metal - Dance Of December Souls & Blackwater Park

Death Metal - Altars Of Madness & Onward To Golgotha
Black Metal - Pure Holocaust & De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Doom Metal - Stormcrowfleet
Trash Metal - Hell Awaits
Heavy Metal - Sad Wings Of Destiny
Feelings Metal - Dance Of December Souls & Blackwater Park

This is the closest to what mine would look like. DMDS, Hell Awaits (maybe together with Eternal Nightmare or RIB) and Sad Wings for heavy, possibly tied with Stained Class. I don't know about the others as I have too many favorites in death metal etc.

Oh my god I'm sitting in a coffee shop skipping my first class and they just put on some shitty ass sax version of the dance of the sugar plum fairy. Poor pyotr :(

Oh my god I'm sitting in a coffee shop skipping my first class and they just put on some shitty ass sax version of the dance of the sugar plum fairy. Poor pyotr :(

I'm skipping my first class too. WHO ARE YOU.

EDIT: They're playing Rolling Stones here. Some live clip, Mick Jagger is old as fuck on this mother.

Now they're doing some rock song charts on TV. Within Temptation was first, Trivium second. The moderator has make-up and piercings.

Death Metal: Morbid Angel- Altars of Madness
Thrash Metal: Megadeth- Rust In Peace
Progressive Metal: Mastodon- Crack The Skye
Gothic Metal: Type O Negative- Bloody Kisses
Heavy Metal: Iron Maiden- The Number Of The Beast
Black Metal: Mayhem- De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas

Glam: WASP - W.A.S.P.

Wasp ain't glam.

I like some Glam, and wasp are among my favorite bands, but they sound nothing like glam. Even their appearance has nothing to do with the whole LA "glam" genre. Throwing raw meat on your fans, and drinking blood from a skull is not glam ;P

well I don't really listen to Black metal so I have to pass about that genre. don't know if Bathory or Hellhammer could be considered to be Black metal so I would put those in the list..

So..

Death Metal: Gorguts - Considered Dead, Asphyx - The Rack, Death - Leprosy, Excruciate - Passage of Life
old school Thrash: way too many! some of my favorites: Dark Angel - Time Does Not Heal, Slayer - Hell Awaits, Sepultura - Schizophrenia.. could go endlessly.
old school Technical Thrash: Realm - Suiciety, Despair - Decay of Humanity, Deathrow - Deception Ignored, Coroner - No More Color.. also a VERY often listened genre where are just way too many adorable albums.
NWOBHM: Witchfinder General - Death Penalty, Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith, Angel Witch - s/t
Heavy Metal: Mercyful Fate - Melissa

I can't really pick only one album of each genre it's just impossible. Sometimes it varies just too much.