Necessary genres of metal

Nope.

Prog refers to a time specific style, basically late 60s early 70s progressive rock scene with bands such as King Crimson, Gentle Giant, and Genesis as examples. Bands in the modern prog rock scene such as Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings play in this style.

that is so wrong

prog is just short for progressive, people call progressive rock/metal "prog" when they are lazy

Do you actually consider Symphony X or Sonata Arctica or Circus Maximus to be progressive?

I've never once heard Sonata Arctica refered to as progressive metal, weirdass new thing for me haha.

Symphony X are basically Dream Theater + power metal and Circus Maximus is Dream Theater with a decent rhythm guitarist.

Hmm, someone missed:

Melodic Death Metal encompassing bands from At the Gates to Mors Principium Est to Nightrage to Noumena.

Melodic Death =/= Gothenburg and the later variations that came about from finland incoporating keyboards and heavily guitar centric.

I don't know how you guys missed this genre, as the bands categorized in it, Scar Symmetry / Dark Tranquility / Blind Stare / Kalmah / Arise / etc. are not DEATH metal rather Melodic Death. There are a ton of bands in this genre. And don't say its not metal because there are keyboards or some shit like that.

Whenever I bring up Sonata Arctica in the context of Power Metal, people tell me that they're Prog, and whenever I bring them up the in context of Prog Metal, people tell me they're Power. Selective genres don't fly.

What in the fuck? They are no doubt power metal. They have no "prog" elements to them what so ever.

@Disarmonia_Mundi - Melodeath is essentially power metal at the core so it just works a subsubgenre of power metal.

Melodic is also a descriptive term, not fit for a proper subgenre. Of course there's Melodic Heavy Metal, Melodic Death Metal, etc., but those are subsections of subgenres and is a real pain in the ass to deal with.

I think there is a clear distinction between

Melodic Death: Arghoslent, Garden of Shadows, and Kronos, etc

and

Gothenburg Melodeath

Melodic is also a descriptive term, not fit for a proper subgenre. Of course there's Melodic Heavy Metal, Melodic Death Metal, etc., but those are subsections of subgenres and is a real pain in the ass to deal with.

I would have to some what agree with you, but the sense of Melodic Death is different then "Melodic" Heavy metal, because there is a major distinction in the genre that seperates it from others.

Also, Melodic Death is not a form of power metal, the vocals are totally different, name a power metal band that is close or somewhat similiar to a Dark Tranquility / Skyfire ?

I would also have to say its quite a vague genre, because the gothenburg style bands aren't that similiar to the heavily keyboardic finnish melo-death style bands, but meh... I just think it is one of the main genres in todays metal world.

If "Prog" is truly short for progressive in the literal sense of the word, then that's hilarious considering the amount of generic and redundant "Prog" Metal bands out there.
There are bands that play music and are worthy to be called PROGRESSIVE and METAL, because their music is 100% the best of both words, and other bands that are called like that simply because they play as other PROGRESSIVE and METAL bands do (these bands = the Dream Theater clones (not only), which are not that many now, and are a minority in the vast progressive metal scene). Even though they are not progressive in the true sense of the word, they still belong to that genre made by the really progressive metal bands.

I would have to some what agree with you, but the sense of Melodic Death is different then "Melodic" Heavy metal, because there is a major distinction in the genre that seperates it from others.

Also, Melodic Death is not a form of power metal, the vocals are totally different, name a power metal band that is close or somewhat similiar to a Dark Tranquility / Skyfire ?

melo DM is still a subgenre of death metal

if we are going to get into melo DM, we have to get into brutal dm, tech dm etc... and that's not what this thread is about

if we are going to get into melo DM, we have to get into brutal dm, tech dm etc... and that's not what this thread is about

Alot of Melo DM bands do not sound anything like alot of the DM bands.... I would agree with you if they sounded somewhat similiar, but they don't o_O.

Gothenburg Melo-death isn't death metal. It is much more related to the Iron Maiden-esque melodies and styles of power metal, just more rhythmically minded and making use of harsh vocals (which have no bearing on genres anyway)

Vocal style has nothing causationally to do with genre classification.

Also, I'm deleting all of my previous posts in this thread because I despise this type of conversation in general and it causes me to come off far stronger than I actually care to on this subject.

power=post-heavy?
power=traditional?
the power metal label needs to go, it's just traditional heavy fucking metal.

Well we can all agree at least, that metal is the most diverse of any main genre out there (Rock/Country/Rap << wtf that isn't music imho/Jazz) etc. It's really hard to tag alot of bands into one genre because alot of bands tend to cross over.

But, I don't see why we get into this genre arguement I mean, if you like the bands music then by all means listen to it :)

There are some BM bands that fucking kickass, but don't sound anything like other BM bands etc. etc. Its too diverse imho to limit bands into various genres, lets just go with metal and be happy :)

I think vocals have alot to do with genre's, because a main point of power metal are the clean 80 style vocals, thats a big selling point with power metal along with the heavy influence of guitars. BM has alot to do with either LOWWWWWWWw deep growls and or High pitched screaming, Death/Melo D with harsh vocals etc. I think vocals are a part of way to identify genres also. Thats just my opinion.

Havn't listened to that release in forever but listen to Falconer - Chapters from a Vale Forlorn and you will hear nothing but Gothenburg riffs.

Well we can all agree at least, that metal is the most diverse of any main genre out there (Rock/Country/Rap << wtf that isn't music imho/Jazz) etc.

Disagree.

Have you gripped the massive variety of music that falls under the umbrella of "jazz"??