Necessary genres of metal

Prog cannot possibly be a genre due to the fact that in order to actually be a progressive band, you can't sound like other bands. Then the term "Prog" is just meaningless and band throw it around where it doesn't belong.

Prog =/= Progressive

These kinds of discussions are really annoying. I prefer not to include genres in my ontology.

what about later death which is basically progressive metal with harsh vocals??

they are far too intense to be called "lighter power metal", don't have much progressive rock influence, or play like dream theater

Metalcore bands that are more Metal than Core influenced are still not strictly Metal and are, in fact, Metalcore, which is not Metal, but an offshoot.

Then crossover bands arn't metal, thrash isn't metal, etc etc

Hardcore influence doesn't strip away the ability to be called metal.

I know that, which is another reason why Prog is a retarded term, and is usually either light Power Metal, Dream Theatre clones, or bands that take a lot of cues from Progressive Rock bands, which does not constitute an entire subgenre of Metal. pretty much all of them could fit into the Power or Heavy Metal genres with the Progressive tag.

Place Pain of Salvation into one, Devin Townsend Band, Noekk, Sculptured, etc

None of those bands fit those categories.

I don't consider Pain Of Salvation or Devin Townsend Metal, and I don't know the other two.

If the only DTB album you heard was Accellerated Evolution than that makes sense, but if not then ... :erk:

As for Pain of Salvation their first three albums are pretty much undoubtedly metal, but beyond that I could agree with you.

They have far too many influences to be pigeonholed into "Progressive Metal," which is bullshit.
"Not sounding like other bands or "having not many influences by other bands" is far from what "progressive" means. Generally, read again what i told you before, since you don't know anything about progressive metal (as it is clearly shown) you should not analyze like a scholar why it is called like that.

prog is short for progressive

Nope.

Prog refers to a time specific style, basically late 60s early 70s progressive rock scene with bands such as King Crimson, Gentle Giant, and Genesis as examples. Bands in the modern prog rock scene such as Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings play in this style.